corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Petrol Price increase?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Petrol Price increase?
jrdn7

User status: Offline
7th Mar 11 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In Ireland here, the cheapest is 1.43 per liter. The government alone takes over 70% in tax. Mad!
sand-eel

7th Mar 11 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
quote:
Originally posted by mattant
You have to remember though that 10 years ago yes petrol was half the price, but then the MPG of cars were a lot lower (alright not half but still), in 5 years time I have no doubt we'll be seeing cars doing 100+MPG

Also it doesn't matter whether it's 10p a litre or £10 a litre, people will always moan, always have

[Edited on 07-03-2011 by mattant]

And what cars are you talking about?

Its pretty obvious cars are more efficient these days
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
7th Mar 11 at 20:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
In fact I might make a post now to say petrol could reach £5/litre, just so I can quote it in 2016.

Why would you do that smart arse?
Because it's going to happen, same as 10p crisps now cost 25p, same as a pint is nearly £4 despite being £1.60 when I started drinking.

Its inflation, it's going to happen, compounded by a lack of supply and a lack of protest, look forward to it.

No amount of headline grabbing OMFG look at the £2 barrier being broken is going to stop it.

The only real reason it took so long to pass £1 was because the signs were not configured for that many digits. No such issue remains.
sc0ott

7th Mar 11 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
In fact I might make a post now to say petrol could reach £5/litre, just so I can quote it in 2016.

Because it's going to happen, same as 10p crisps now cost 25p, same as a pint is nearly £4 despite being £1.60 when I started drinking.

Its inflation, it's going to happen, compounded by a lack of supply and a lack of protest, look forward to it.

No amount of headline grabbing OMFG look at the £2 barrier being broken is going to stop it.

The only real reason it took so long to pass £1 was because the signs were not configured for that many digits. No such issue remains.

Well the same principle applies to a shit load of things so does that mean we all better stop creating discussion topics on how footballers are worth millions and how it will always increase or how ford are bringing out a new focus.
What youre saying is why bother talking about it if we all know its going to happen.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Mar 11 at 20:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
VW Bluemotion

Mercedes Blueefficiency

Probably some other colours.

2011 Mercedes CLS 4.7l V8 does 31.4mpg, 210g/km. That's better than my 2 litre Vauxhall and the latter doesn't do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds.

Compare that to a 500 SEC and you'll notice a marked improvement.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Mar 11 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What youre saying is why bother talking about it if we all know its going to happen.
On the contrary, I'm saying don't look so shocked.

I'm very happy to talk about it. Topics include how Monaros and Range Rovers are going to continue to come down in price, how roads are going to get less busy, how public transport is going to get better and how technology generally is going to evolve when in fact real impetus does in fact start to exist.
sc0ott

7th Mar 11 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mattant
You have to remember though that 10 years ago yes petrol was half the price, but then the MPG of cars were a lot lower (alright not half but still), in 5 years time I have no doubt we'll be seeing cars doing 100+MPG

Also it doesn't matter whether it's 10p a litre or £10 a litre, people will always moan, always have

[Edited on 07-03-2011 by mattant]

Its pretty obvious cars are more efficient these days

Aye mainly because there are more diesels but its not even close to double mpg.
deano87

7th Mar 11 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
2011 Mercedes CLS 4.7l V8 does 31.4mpg, 210g/km. That's better than my 2 litre Vauxhall and the latter doesn't do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds.

If that is truly accurate then my Punto 1.4 16v only does ~40mpg. Mind you book figure is 47mpg.
sc0ott

7th Mar 11 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
VW Bluemotion

Mercedes Blueefficiency

Probably some other colours.

Compare that to a 500 SEC and you'll notice a marked improvement.

Take your every day mk4 golf tdi and compare it to the mk5 tdi. Not much of a difference there.
Ek9 to an ep3. Not much of a difference unless you sit on a motorway.
sc0ott

7th Mar 11 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
On the contrary, I'm saying don't look so shocked.

I'm very happy to talk about it. Topics include how Monaros and Range Rovers are going to continue to come down in price, how roads are going to get less busy, how public transport is going to get better and how technology generally is going to evolve when in fact real impetus does in fact start to exist.

Im not shocked. Im just pissed off by how the cost of living is increasing due to wanting to make comitments.
I have to travel 80 miles a day to do a job i want to do and its no just a case of oh go and find a closer job because it doesnt always work like how everyone makes out.
Steve
Premium Member

7th Mar 11 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not so much the cost of petrol, its more the cost of petrol compared to what other countries pay, yes im aware some euro countries are equally as high, but there are many others where its vastly cheaper, they all buy the same start product at the end of the day
sc0ott

7th Mar 11 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair comment, steve.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Mar 11 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Take your every day mk4 golf tdi and compare it to the mk5 tdi. Not much of a difference there.
Ek9 to an ep3. Not much of a difference unless you sit on a motorway.

Go back a few more years.
sc0ott

7th Mar 11 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why he said 10 years which would make it 2000/2001.
sand-eel

7th Mar 11 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did he edit it to "(alright not half but still)" after your comment?
sc0ott

7th Mar 11 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What does it matter, your every day car hasnt changed that much.
They have brought out the likes of the bluemotion etc but theyre not really as popular yet.
sand-eel

7th Mar 11 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say over 10 years, 5MPG increase is good (5mpg seems right), for instance an old 1970's mgb 1.8L does about 20mpg.
Steve
Premium Member

7th Mar 11 at 21:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends whats the relative difference in miles to cash you get and wether that ties in with mpg.

easiest way is to work each out as a percentage
sc0ott

7th Mar 11 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
I would say over 10 years, 5MPG increase is good (5mpg seems right), for instance an old 1970's mgb 1.8L does about 20mpg.

You mean back when words like eco, mpg, emissions etc were probably never even considered when cars were designed and built.
Back when petrol was being used like it grew on trees
DaveyLC

8th Mar 11 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mark.W
The tax on my corsa has gone up £15 this year which is a bloody joke.

Oh no!! Where will you find that extra 4p a day?
Chris x

8th Mar 11 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DaveyLC

8th Mar 11 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

As I mentioned massive inflation does help readjust the housing Market it also dilutes debt as the real world value of that debt becomes proportionally smaller,
pow
Premium Member

8th Mar 11 at 08:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If £2 a litre petrol makes my first house cheaper then I suppose it's not all bad
Fro

8th Mar 11 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not quite that simple powow.

Depending on level of inflation it can potentially ruin our competitiveness/demand for UK goods, which could in turn decrease our currency (even more) Then we'd be switched to the euro and any one with savings in £ sterling will get royally fucked, because who will want a currency that is being discontinued... Worst case scenario but definately one that will happen in the future, the £ will be devalued at somepoint and we will amke the switch.
SXIBLK

8th Mar 11 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what you all paying at the moment? im at 1.30.9

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Petrol Price increase? 22 database queries in 0.0134590 seconds