corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any project managers on here?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any project managers on here?
Jules S
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Apr 11 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldn't agree more with that^^^

However these days more and more CLIENTS refer to agents as PMs because the general public watch too much tv...
Dave

12th Apr 11 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kinda like how the guy who comes to fix your washing machine is now an "engineer".
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
12th Apr 11 at 21:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an ex who is a PM but she's never once really told me what she does.
AndyKent

12th Apr 11 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm training as a building surveyor but my role within my current company is to provide project management expertise.

Currently nearing the end and don't want to do either. Would rather do more planning and development work. Kinda wish I'd trained as an architect now, except for the debt involved with a full time degree
Jules S
Premium Member

12th Apr 11 at 22:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
I'm training as a building surveyor but my role within my current company is to provide project management expertise.

Currently nearing the end and don't want to do either. Would rather do more planning and development work. Kinda wish I'd trained as an architect now, except for the debt involved with a full time degree

That sort of sums it all up really. No offence btw.

You're either a building surveyor or not. Being a BS doesn't make you a PM, it's just part of your role as a building surveyor.

10 years ago you would have been a 'contract administrator' now because of the TV you call yourself a PM because more people know the term and it sounds more professional.

I'm sorry to say the RICS have jumped really heavily on the PM role. But hey, all surveyors think Architects are primadonnas....and Architects all know building surveyors are wannabe Architects.
James

12th Apr 11 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't get the whole "say I'm a PM because it sounds good", in my industry it's no more highly regarded than any other role in the projects they manage?

I personally don't think PM sounds better, don't get me wrong it's a respectable profession, I just don't think it's the sort of title people would use to sound better.
AndyKent

13th Apr 11 at 06:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like you two are winding yourselves up far too much about the words, hardly matters does it.

If we're doing contract admin only then we will call it that. If we are co-ordinating several contractors as well as the finance, architect etc. then we call it project management.

Not that anywhere I actually called myself a project manager.
emicen

13th Apr 11 at 07:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Project manager in subsea oil and gas.

MEng Mechanical engineering, 1.5yrs contract project control straight out of uni, 3yrs control account planning, then in to PM.

No paper PM quals but I am keen to do Prince2. Experience counts for as much as quals imho. Project management cannot be taught formulaically.
spencer88

13th Apr 11 at 07:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL at people saying about all these people claiming to be PM's

Like I said, I am classed as a development Surveyor, sorry but this is regarded above a PM, but yet I do PM work sometimes. Its called multi tasking.

I do my general role of obtaining sites and planning permissions, yet I can also project manage construction projects!
A2H GO

13th Apr 11 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The role of PM varys so much between organisations its hard to define the role. For example, PM where my Mrs works pays around £27k whereas PM where I work pays in excess of £70k.

Im a Project Analyst (one below PM) but could walk into a PM job in a smaller company, however i've a long way to go (perhaps 5-8 years) before I could walk into a PM role here.
jr

13th Apr 11 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im a Project Manager in a Emergency Services setting

This seems to differ from descriptions of what alot of people have said above, but its diffrent from organisation to organisation

My role now is to Specify and then go out to tender to develop a Operational Asset Tracking system, and them implement it throughout the county working with the procurement and training teams to ensure its continued sucess and uptake of the procured system to around 1600 users, my role will then revert to either a Asset Manager, or i can move on to another Project

i came from no backgorund to any of these in the motortrade, but thinking logically seems to work well in this enviroment, as apose to base knowledge etc

[Edited on 13-04-2011 by jr]
Xs

13th Apr 11 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People just like to give themselves fancy titles these day, every one seems to be an "executive" this or that.

Quite interesting how you got into such a role coming from parts or whatever you did before jr, I'd like to change job as I am fed up for surveying and it seems there is easy money to be made working in the oil & gas industry but without going offshore (not worked out how I can get into this yet though)
jr

13th Apr 11 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Luck, associating technitions and firefighters and talking to them the same seems to work, having knowledge of how specalist kit needs to be managed, and a grand in a suitcase seemed to get me the role
Gary
Premium Member

13th Apr 11 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaDave
Kinda like how the guy who comes to fix your washing machine is now an "engineer".

Anyone who can hold a spanner calls themselves an engineer now.

Searched for jobs with keyword 'engineer' and all sorts of crap comes up. Being an engineer used to be a very highly regarded job. Now every man and his dog claim to be one.
Gary
Premium Member

13th Apr 11 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by emicen
Project manager in subsea oil and gas.

MEng Mechanical engineering,

Good work. Hard degree to do. Out of my league!
Nath

13th Apr 11 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
Roberto Mancini is a project manager.

Good for him.

Sorry for not taking your thread seriously.

emicen

13th Apr 11 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Xs
People just like to give themselves fancy titles these day, every one seems to be an "executive" this or that.

Quite interesting how you got into such a role coming from parts or whatever you did before jr, I'd like to change job as I am fed up for surveying and it seems there is easy money to be made working in the oil & gas industry but without going offshore (not worked out how I can get into this yet though)

Cunt that surveyed my flat got over a hundred notes and clearly never went in the place just looked at pics off the net. There's nothing in O&G easier money than that
Xs

13th Apr 11 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sadly I am in construction, proper surveying none of this building sureveying nonsense. However its within private housing and I can't be arsed with all the contract law involved in working for one of the big boys so fancy something in oil and gas. Like arranging who goes on choppers and when, I believe that is a job.
emicen

13th Apr 11 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Xs
Like arranging who goes on choppers and when, I believe that is a job.

www.vivid-video.com/jobs/apply.php
Xs

13th Apr 11 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Differend kind of chopper ma man, but wouldnt mind being a PM for them! lol
spencer88

13th Apr 11 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Xs
Sadly I am in construction, proper surveying none of this building sureveying nonsense. However its within private housing and I can't be arsed with all the contract law involved in working for one of the big boys so fancy something in oil and gas. Like arranging who goes on choppers and when, I believe that is a job.

I love the construction industry for this reason.

Surveyors hate building surveyors.
Building surveyors hate surveyors.
All surveyors hate architects and all architects hate surveyors.

What a wonderful profession
Paul_J

13th Apr 11 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I don't get the whole "say I'm a PM because it sounds good", in my industry it's no more highly regarded than any other role in the projects they manage?

I personally don't think PM sounds better, don't get me wrong it's a respectable profession, I just don't think it's the sort of title people would use to sound better.

Yeah agreed.

I ended up discussing this with one of my mates who is a Project Manager at our company and he came to the conclusion that people thought the term 'Project Manager' sounded better due to the word 'Manager' in there. and that in reality, most people who hear the term Project Manager outside of that domain have no idea what that person actually does.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
13th Apr 11 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
most people who hear the term Project Manager outside of that domain have no idea what that person actually does.
I asked her and she didn't know either.
Mad Moe

13th Apr 11 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a Quntitiy Surveyor by Profession and when I worked for one of the large contractors when I was promoted all of a sudden I became a Commercial Manger, I could never quite work that one out as the role was effectively the same except I looked after more contracts and more people.

[Edited on 13-04-2011 by Mad Moe]
ShEp

13th Apr 11 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My fathers a project manager for hydro damms,

dont know whats he does tbh

He leaves at 6:30am and doesnt get home till 6pm

Thats reason enough for me not to be interested.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any project managers on here? 22 database queries in 0.0139041 seconds