corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » App Idea...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author App Idea...
A2H GO

User status: Offline
6th May 11 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
name a phone with a built in transmitter?

Nokia N85.
ed

6th May 11 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ORLY?

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
No point spending hours learning all the theorys behind radio science in mobile technology if its not possible.
Brett
Premium Member

6th May 11 at 10:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't give up the day job, ash.
A2H GO

6th May 11 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
you don't need an app.

You just plug the little FM transmitter in the top (£5) and then press play on your normal music... The FM transmitter is plugged into your headphone jack, and transmits at a frequency that music.

Then you have your radio tuned in to that frequency and it comes out your car speakers.

I know how they work, I use one most days.

Hence my idea on being able to do it without one.

So didn't it cross your mind that there was a reason you had to use it?

Yes, because noone had created a way of doing it without one.
Paul_J

6th May 11 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but it's a hardware issue... not a software issue.

Do you know what an iPhone app is? ... it's a piece of software running on a phone's existing hardware.

You admit you know that you have to use an FM transmitter because the iPhone lacks the ability to do this - yet then still think it can be done without one by writing an app (piece of software).

Do you think they just made and sold the external FM transmitters for a laugh?

Why would anyone use one, if the iPhone was already capable (hardware) of doing this?
Dom

6th May 11 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
quote:
Ok then, so its is possible on phones with built in FM Transmitters?

Is there an app currently avaliable to allow this?

dont think theres a phone on the market that has a built in transmitter.

Nokia N8 (Source) has a FM Transmitter built into it and the music player app allows you to pipe it through your FM radio.

A2H GO - As said, it's a hardware issue. You physically need a FM Transmitter on the phone which the iPhone doesn't have as standard; you need to buy a FM transmitter like >THIS<.
Bluetooth is the only option with the iPhone, but it requires you to have a bluetooth headunit.

Edit - Bottom line, can't be done until Apple decides to intergrate a radio transmitter and even then the music player will deal with that. And phones that have a build in transmitter will already have the feature built into the music player.

[Edited on 06-05-2011 by Dom]
A2H GO

6th May 11 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you read my post on the previous page you would see that I only used an iPhone as an example, Android phone would be even better since there are more of them.

Following research it turns out there are already people working on it anyway with the Desire/Nexus/HD2 etc. Unless its already been incorporated.

[Edited on 06-05-2011 by A2H GO]
A2H GO

6th May 11 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
quote:
Ok then, so its is possible on phones with built in FM Transmitters?

Is there an app currently avaliable to allow this?

dont think theres a phone on the market that has a built in transmitter.

Nokia N8 (Source) has a FM Transmitter built into it and the music player app allows you to pipe it through your FM radio.

A2H GO - As said, it's a hardware issue. You physically need a FM Transmitter on the phone which the iPhone doesn't have as standard; you need to buy a FM transmitter like >THIS<.
Bluetooth is the only option with the iPhone, but it requires you to have a bluetooth headunit.

Edit - Bottom line, can't be done until Apple decides to intergrate a radio transmitter and even then the music player will deal with that. And phones that have a build in transmitter will already have the feature built into the music player.

Why could you not have posted first
Dom

6th May 11 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If you read my post on the previous page you would see that I only used an iPhone as an example, Android phone would be even better since there are more of them.

Following research it turns out there are already people working on it anyway with the Desire/Nexus/HD2 etc. Unless its already been incorporated.

That's because they use a Broadcom radio module and that has a FM transmitter onboard (just isn't enabled by default). So again, if the hardware is available to do it then it IS possible to do. And not all phones have the hardware so you can't do it through a 'simple' app, it'd require an external transmitter (like what you get on the iPhone).

Edit - There are a handful of android phones around that do have the hardware (like the Broadcom BCM4329 in the Desire - module does WiFi/Bluetooth + FM), but from what i know Android doesn't natively support FM radio (Rx/Tx) and it's left to the manfucaturer (most don't bother to include it). So in theory the FM side of the radio module could be activated, IF the hardware is there, although it'd require drivers for Android and that's the major headache (app to control it is the piss easy part).

A2H GO

6th May 11 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

That's because they use a Broadcom radio module and that has a FM transmitter onboard (just isn't enabled by default). So again, if the hardware is available to do it then it IS possible to do. And not all phones have the hardware so you can't do it through a 'simple' app, it'd require an external transmitter (like what you get on the iPhone).

Thats pretty much answered my question.

Where the hardware is included and enabled its already possible.

Where the hardware is included but not enabled its being worked on (this is the one I was interested in)

Where the hardware isnt included its not possible.
Paul_J

6th May 11 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FM transmitted music is crap quality anyway. Better to just use a cable.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll