corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » International day: England v Bulgaria

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author International day: England v Bulgaria
Cavey

User status: Offline
30th Aug 11 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was trying to pre-empt the generic 'he plays for utd so he's awesome' - if utd fans dont think that then fair enough.

I've been quite complementary of Utd recently
Eck
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Blasphemy] I don't know why Hooper doesn't get a shot as he's far better than Wellbeck imo [/blasphemy]
JonnyJ

31st Aug 11 at 02:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yet to prove himself in a decent league
Eck
Premium Member

31st Aug 11 at 02:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

York and Cowdenbeath I am starting to think you're baiting me mate.
JonnyJ

31st Aug 11 at 02:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not baiting the standard of teams in the spl is just god awful. They even sign our cast offs ffs. One of our players even turned down a move to kilmarnock to stay at York
Eck
Premium Member

31st Aug 11 at 02:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Killie are a different story I'd turn them down But Wellbeck's touch is actually comical!
JonnyJ

31st Aug 11 at 05:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I mean though and they are a established spl club. I reckon we could give them a game, if not beat them. Half the spl would struggle in lg2/bsp (given the standards of those leagues are pretty much the same) so therefore hooper is yet to show he can do it in a top league. He had a bigger challenge while at scunny in the championship. In the league he's in and with the team he's with he can only hope to play one championship standard team, rangers.

[Edited on 31-08-2011 by JonnyJ]
Eck
Premium Member

31st Aug 11 at 06:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I look forward to seeing you again, mate.
Nath

1st Sep 11 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
We're LED to believe he has no beef with the iPhone.

Ben G

1st Sep 11 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what kind of cunt puts a fucking qualifier on tv during a weekday? cunts.
Ojc

1st Sep 11 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't care
XSIHardy

1st Sep 11 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Smalling or Richards ?
Steve
Premium Member

1st Sep 11 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pumped for this
Nath

1st Sep 11 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no
Cavey

1st Sep 11 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

West Ham's Henri Lansbury has scored one tonight so far. Also Hendo has scored, and the mysterious 'Dawson' according to livescore, who doesn't seem to have a first name
Ben J

1st Sep 11 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lansbury scored 2 now set one up. Chamberlain set one up. #youngguns
Hammer

1st Sep 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
That's what I mean though and they are a established spl club. I reckon we could give them a game, if not beat them. Half the spl would struggle in lg2/bsp (given the standards of those leagues are pretty much the same) so therefore hooper is yet to show he can do it in a top league. He had a bigger challenge while at scunny in the championship. In the league he's in and with the team he's with he can only hope to play one championship standard team, rangers.

York would not beat Kilmarnock, behave yourself. The standard of the SPL is League 1/Championship, how many players from the SPL now operate in the EPL?

Arteta, Cuellar, Petrov, Maloney, Caldwell, Hutton, Gordon, Krul, Adam, Dorrans, Berra, Fortune, McArthy, McArthur, Fletcher, Morrison, Sammon. All off the top of my head.

We're not even in the same country or league system and we still provide more Premiership players than L2 and the BSP put together.
Ojc

2nd Sep 11 at 05:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No
JonnyJ

2nd Sep 11 at 07:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
quote:

York would not beat Kilmarnock, behave yourself. The standard of the SPL is League 1/Championship, how many players from the SPL now operate in the EPL?

Arteta, Cuellar, Petrov, Maloney, Caldwell, Hutton, Gordon, Krul, Adam, Dorrans, Berra, Fortune, McArthy, McArthur, Fletcher, Morrison, Sammon. All off the top of my head.

We're not even in the same country or league system and we still provide more Premiership players than L2 and the BSP put together.

Not sure what those players playing in the EPL means other than they want to move to a higher standard. I'd be more impressed with top players going the other way, showing the the SPL is still a level top footballers want to test themselves at, like it used to, but that doesnt happen anymore.

I also said we could give them a game, possibly win. I dont think its beyond the realms of possibility that we could beat a L1 standard side like .

There is definitely some L2/BSP standard teams in the SPL. Bear in mind here that L2 and BSP are pretty much considered identical levels now, extremely few teams come back down to the conf after they leave unless financially mismanaged, only Lincoln have managed it in recent times and they were back in the league for ages, reaching L1 status.

Look at the average crowds for instance last season. Dunfermline, St Johnstone, Inverness, Hamilton. All below 5000. Hamilton only got 2800 ffs! Theres at least 5 teams in the BSP getting more than that, so i struggle to see how they can be much above that level. Theres 8 teams in L2 who get more than 5000 average, and they dont have the benefit of playing Rangers and Celtic 4 times a season (sometimes more after the split, i think)

I know crowds arent the be all and end all but it gives a good indication as to what a teams natural level is. It says a lot when our left back turned down Kilmarnock to stay with us for another year, they cant have been offering much better in terms of wages. And then they go and sign one of our cast offs, Danny Racchi

Id say you have Rangers and Celtic at Championship level. Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen/Dundee at L1 and the rest L2/BSP. Overall the league is just about L1 standard but only because of Rangers and Celtic.

You cant deny that the quality of players playing in the SPL has dropped a fair bit recently, especially at the top 2 clubs. I remember days when the league had Gazza, Larsson, De Boer, Van Bronkhorst. Now you have Gary Hooper a guy who did alright for Scunthorpe.

Also when you see players like Kris Boyd and Scott Macdonald who banged in goals for fun at SPL level, struggle at championship level it doesnt do much for convincing you the teams they were banging them in past were of that same level.
Hammer

2nd Sep 11 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gary Hooper a guy that did alright for Scunthorpe

Gary Hooper a guy that scored more goals in the same league for a team at the opposite end of the table who moved to Liverpool for £35 million 6 months ago

There isn't a lot of money in Scottish football just now but if you think Rangers and Celtic wouldn't be able to cope in the Premiership you are kidding yourself.

Also, McDonald has far from struggled. He also scored against numerous teams at the highest level in Europe, AC Milan for starters.

[Edited on 02-09-2011 by Hammer]
JonnyJ

2nd Sep 11 at 07:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Knew the Hooper thing would get a bite

Scunny reject

I used to think you could but now im not so sure.

Depends how you look at it, if you played in the prem and could therefore attract players of premiership quality, probably, Wigan seem to manage. If they just chucked you in now and you could only sign players that would come to an SPL club, im not so sure.

I mean. Maribor and Sion. Over two fucking legs
Hammer

2nd Sep 11 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If we're randomly picking results to back a point....Arsenal are a League 1 team. I mean come on, 8-2 against United

Celtic's team just now is an improvement on Strachan's. Which was a team that beat Man United therefore Celtic would win the Premiership.
JonnyJ

2nd Sep 11 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This might seem a bit of an obvious question but how is the team you have now better than previous ones that qualified for the CL, beat Man Utd and won the SPL numerous times?

Seems strange logic is all I can only imagine you mean playing better football? Which is all fine and well but football is a results buisness.

We are playing better football than i have ever seen at York but we just lost to fucking Alfreton. Co-incidentally some of the worst football I've ever seen got us to a Play off final. I know what I'd take right now
Jamie Walby

2nd Sep 11 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The SPL is a great way for an average player to play at the highest level in Europe so long as they play for Rangers or Celtic....... oh wait.
Hammer

2nd Sep 11 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
This might seem a bit of an obvious question but how is the team you have now better than previous ones that qualified for the CL, beat Man Utd and won the SPL numerous times?

Differerent sets of circumstances. The team that reached the Uefa cup final in 2003 got beat off Basle (before anyone had even heard of them) in the Champions League qualifiers before they went on to beat Suduva, Blackburn, Liverpool, Celta Vigo and Boavista.

Shit results happen, especially in Europe.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » International day: England v Bulgaria 23 database queries in 0.0176470 seconds