corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another 'what car thread'....4x4

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another 'what car thread'....4x4
Dave

User status: Offline
4th Sep 11 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So perfectly capable for what the OP wants then? Also I'd argue better off road than 90% of 4x4's on the market.
For a 1k budget you are going to struggle to get anything that's not tatty/old though.
DannyB
Premium Member

4th Sep 11 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suzuki Vitara Wideboy
taylorboosh

4th Sep 11 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use a horse tbh
recarouk

4th Sep 11 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaDave
So perfectly capable for what the OP wants then? Also I'd argue better off road than 90% of 4x4's on the market.
For a 1k budget you are going to struggle to get anything that's not tatty/old though.

not really, as hes stated travelling between farms and into the middle of nowhere, he would be better off with something thats built to be an "offroader" like a Defender for example. Freeloaders are fine for the school run with the kids but not much good for offroading.
DAZ1985

4th Sep 11 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

200tdi disco
DAZ1985

4th Sep 11 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
For a grand I would be getting a frontera 2.8 but everyone on corsa sport who have never had any experience with them will tell you they are shit.

Anyone on any forum would say their shit tbh
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

4th Sep 11 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Subaru Impreza GL or Justy.

i've just got a justy, cheap as chips and supposed to be awesome in the snow
Lynny

4th Sep 11 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He?
DAZ1985

4th Sep 11 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

forester?
Lynny

4th Sep 11 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll give a bit more info, anyone who's from the north east may be familiar with consett and Stanley. Second highest town in the country, has a climate of it's own! The roads here get ridiculous, and don't get gritted, mainly as a lot are back roads around the farms 10-15 mins from town. As I'll be out from 5am until 9pm roughly between farms, I need something that will be good in heavy snow and icy roads.
Lynny

4th Sep 11 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So not for driving around town and won't be going off roading
Ben G

4th Sep 11 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by recarouk
quote:
Originally posted by CorsaDave

not really, as hes stated travelling between farms and into the middle of nowhere, he would be better off with something thats built to be an "offroader" like a Defender for example. Freeloaders are fine for the school run with the kids but not much good for offroading.

i don't agree. my dad pulled out a fiat doblo van (bigger than a transit) that had half its rear wheel stuck in mud using his freelander, which was also on very muddy terrain.

i don't think lynny intends on tackling any 45 degree inclines on her journeys.
Lynny

4th Sep 11 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a few quite steep hills.....
harrisp

4th Sep 11 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DAZ1985
quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
For a grand I would be getting a frontera 2.8 but everyone on corsa sport who have never had any experience with them will tell you they are shit.

Anyone on any forum would say their shit tbh

I have got experience with them including proper offroad use, including mates who have got them but Im sure you have more experience with them than me Why are they shit?

Wont get a forester for a grand.

Freelanders aren't a proper 4x4 and haven't even got a low ratio box.

DAZ1985

5th Sep 11 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm more of a landrover person if I'm honest, I've done my fair share of driving off road and in snowy conditions and I think that a disco is a much better all rounder over a frontera. But he's not asked for an off roader. If you look then you could easily get a forester for 1000, just because it's advertised for 1200 doesn't automatically mean they will reject an offer of a grand
Matty SRi

5th Sep 11 at 00:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lynny
I'll give a bit more info, anyone who's from the north east may be familiar with consett and Stanley. Second highest town in the country, has a climate of it's own! The roads here get ridiculous, and don't get gritted, mainly as a lot are back roads around the farms 10-15 mins from town. As I'll be out from 5am until 9pm roughly between farms, I need something that will be good in heavy snow and icy roads.

I bought my car from Consett
Lynny

5th Sep 11 at 05:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will people please stop calling me a 'he'
recarouk

5th Sep 11 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lynny
Will people please stop calling me a 'he'

sorry fella
harrisp

5th Sep 11 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DAZ1985
I'm more of a landrover person if I'm honest, I've done my fair share of driving off road and in snowy conditions and I think that a disco is a much better all rounder over a frontera. But he's not asked for an off roader. If you look then you could easily get a forester for 1000, just because it's advertised for 1200 doesn't automatically mean they will reject an offer of a grand

Ive owned one (actually still do but thats another story) and used one for offroading, a couple of the engines are bullet proof 2.0 8v and the isuzu 2.8 (becoming a fairly common conversion for landys apparently), they are cheap because they are underrated as a car, except for things I have broke offroading ( a diff) all mine has needed was a set of rear brakes and it got driven hard.
A mate of mine has now got a big spec defender and has had a couple of fronteras and he still says he prefers them to landys, but there isn't enough aftermarket parts for them i.e no cages, no winch bumpers, very few snorkels unless you import the parts.
A disco is a better car than a frontera especially when modified, but for a grand you will get a much better frontera than you will a discovery.

You are right about the foresters you can pick them up for a grand, parents bought one a couple of months ago, a 51 plate with every optional extra pretty much, it is a very nice car, really quiet and smooth to drive, interior is typical 90s japanese design
DaveyLC

5th Sep 11 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can definitely recommend the Merc ML270, the engine and tranmission are bullet proof, the ESP is fantastic in icy/slippy conditions, it returns atleast 30mpg and they are amazing value for money.

However they are built like crap and bits WILL fall off, also they dont articulate very well so arent brilliant on the really rough stuff.
Gary
Premium Member

5th Sep 11 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gotta be an old disco IMO.

Dad used to have a fourtrak mind, and it was quite good tbh.
mwg

5th Sep 11 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother got a V reg 2.7 TDI, facelift 3 door Terrano from a car auction last winter. It was about £1000, 60k on the clocks. Had a new exhaust and a bit of welding to get it through its MOT a couple of weeks ago but thats it. Its pretty decent for the money. Never had it stuck, goes all over in the snow. Had a towbar on it when he got it and it pulls really well with a trailer on. Very good work horse.

I keep looking about to see if I can find one but all the ones on Autotrader and eBay for that money are a lot older and/or over 150k on the clocks. Maybe need to go to a car auction to get the best deal.
recarouk

5th Sep 11 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
I can definitely recommend the Merc ML270, the engine and tranmission are bullet proof, the ESP is fantastic in icy/slippy conditions, it returns atleast 30mpg and they are amazing value for money.

However they are built like crap and bits WILL fall off, also they dont articulate very well so arent brilliant on the really rough stuff.

for a grand????? what you smoking
DaveyLC

5th Sep 11 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doh didnt see the budget

In that case I'd go for a Fourtrak
3CorsaMeal

5th Sep 11 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, nearly every 4x4 has been listed in here now.

tbh you will be getting whatever is nearest to you and on budget imo

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another 'what car thread'....4x4 22 database queries in 0.0135150 seconds