corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » BMW + 150k miles = ?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BMW + 150k miles = ?
Fad

User status: Offline
13th Oct 11 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Yo...

So my Impreza will hopefully be heading off this weekend. I need a new car quickly, and I won't really have means of travelling far to get another car afterwards. Just looking around local, and literally up my road there's a 330 Ci for sale but it has 150k miles on the clock, it's a very good price though. Do you think this could be worth a punt or am I completely mad? If I don't deserve to be in a straight jacket, what kinda things should I be looking out for?

By the way I've never driven more than 5k miles in a year myself so it wouldn't be increasing too much...

Base your purchase on condition like anything if it has a full service history it is likely it has been maintained well to that mileage.

Things to look out for are:

Leaking water pumps
Judder under hard braking will be Track control arms
If the rear end feels loose and a bit lively likely to be rear trailing arm bushes.
Dampers leaking and feeling past it are the main things I noted when looking at e46's usually can tell by a harsh ride
Check the usual stuff like discs & pad and assess whether they need replacing soon etc
Also manuals are generally 500-700 cheaper than the autos
pre 2001 (51 plate) 330ci's had slightly over assited steering hence why they go quite cheap

Mechanically the stright 6's are quite robust hence why you see quite a few old BMW's still going on moon miles. As long as its looked after it'll be fine which applies to most modern cars. just apply common sense when considering it.

If it were me i'd probably look at a M sport saloon which can be picked up fully loaded with under 80k miles for around the 3.5k mark on a 02/52 plate. Also the makret is flooded with them as people now tend to buy the diesel varitants so there are plenty to choose from.

[Edited on 13-10-2011 by Fad]
cavmad

13th Oct 11 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't forget most (not all) cars with 15,000 miles on them will have already had most of the major bits replaced such as clutch, suspension components, brakes etc as well as stuff like alternators.
Jambo

13th Oct 11 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only if it's it been properly maintained. I wouldn't assumed it's been done
Robin
Premium Member

14th Oct 11 at 08:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 325Ci we had came with full main dealer service history, every service was done on time no expense spared.

I wouldn't have considered it if it didn't have that.

Even so, it still felt like a ten year old car when it came to bushes, it had it's fair share of little clunks and knocks but nothing which wasn't easy to sort.

I would say, as long as it's straight, true, comes with decent service history and looks well maintained, it's probably a good shout if the price is right.

Get someone who knows E46s to check it out though. I took an ex BMW master tech with me, there's lots of little things to check which I wouldn't have thought about like the rear subframe mounting points, rear springs, doing a test on the coolant to see if the HG had gone, he even checked the fault codes....

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » BMW + 150k miles = ? 22 database queries in 0.0107589 seconds