corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Is it possible to make a video go viral?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is it possible to make a video go viral?
AlunJ

User status: Offline
17th Jan 12 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Fucking hell I bet paul's character per post percentage is the highest on the board

Don't let Dr Pepper see you say that!
Paul_J

17th Jan 12 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
quote:
Originally posted by John
Paul_J once had a video go viral, until his dad told him to do something more useful with his time

I actually did though testing my ideas at the time of how to make any video get a lot of traffic

my video got press coverage about it
Dom

17th Jan 12 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
quote:
Paul_J once had a video go viral, until his dad told him to do something more useful with his time

I actually did though testing my ideas at the time of how to make any video get a lot of traffic

Link?
Paul_J

17th Jan 12 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:
quote:

Link?

Not quite 'viral', but...

I came up with a concept of positioning content infront of future traffic hotspots... predicting what terms people would search in the future and concluding that as long as you were the first to have some content (anything) in that target keyword search result, you'd get full exposure.

This is in contrast to the usual method of putting content out there and hoping people find it.

I made a youtube account to do this, originally considering doing song remixes - as you can guarantee some people will always look for a remix of any new songs, thus if you have the first piece of content out there which matches a new song title + the term remix, then you'll get hits, even if your content is just crap (e.g. the song sped up 11.25%) - hence the youtube channel 'oneone25percent'...

However, I saw the perfect opportunity to test this theory when Derren Brown predicted his lottery numbers:
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/735342-how-did-derren-brown-predict-the-winning-lottery-numbers (this article is quoting my video and references it about half way down)

I made a video quickly and was the first thing online which hit the keywords 'Derren Brown Lottery explained' As a result, it was the only video found, watched and shared at the time until other better content appeared.

-

These days, this methodology is used alot by people, spamming youtube for example with nonsense for example 'Full fight video' of a boxing match that hasn't even finished yet... knowing that people will search for the full fight video of any boxing and thus traffic is guarenteed to hit it...

etc

[Edited on 17-01-2012 by Paul_J]
Paul_J

17th Jan 12 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ the other thing I liked about that video is I had control over moderation of the comments on it...

... anyone who agreed with my point of view I published their comment, anyone who didn't agree I deleted their comment
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

18th Jan 12 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so you now predict the future?
Russ

18th Jan 12 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The particular recipe I've noticed is:

1. Whatever the video is, it has to seem amateur / not promotional or too professional
2. The video has to have some content which is unique and not something you see every day, such as a hilarious fail, people running on water, a dangerous stunt, something truly embarrassing or sickening etc
3. The video has to get to the point of the viral fairly fast, if the 'viral element' happens in the 8th minute of a 10 minute video, it won't spread.
4. The title / caption of the video often has to be enticing / witty, but this can be replaced by a enticing / witty caption on content sites like Reddit.
5. The initial 'push' of the viral content needs to surge, like a wave. Whether it's through influential facebookers, tweeters, bloggers, youtubers, redditors etc - the more you can kick off that initial push, the far more likely it is to succeed. The spike from the push, gets the content pushed straight into the lime light of all the other people browsing the content site and if it is truly good content, then it will snow ball.
6. The timing is important, it needs to be at a time when many people are on the internet bored, but there aren't too many other virals going around - thus increasing the chance of people liking / sharing it.
7. Finally if it is made easy to share, it will increase it's chances greatly.

... final point is, cats and women in thumbnails = extra chance of success.

Most 'viral video' attempts, fail at either 1, 2 or 5.

The content is either too obviously a forced viral / professional, never viral worthy content or not pushed enough initially to gain traction.

So yes, an advertising agency that knows all this can if they have enough influence cause things to go viral. Such as the giant slipper news story:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8837736/Monster-slipper-revealed-as-elaborate-PR-stunt.html

1. Made it look amateur / non forced viral
2. Made it a funny, interesting and truly unique story
3. Gave it a significant push through media channels, that it got into the limelight enough to snowball.
4. Once top of social media sites, it becomes shared across forums / social networks and then tabloid press starts reporting the same story = Viral

worst i use reddit post ever
Paul_J

18th Jan 12 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And on the mention of Reddit.

Here's an example of how luck / timing / title has an impact...

Here's the same content:

This was submitted first with the title "Why we should do sex things: A Powerpoint" - only 1000 upvotes
http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/olwny/why_we_should_do_sex_things_a_powerpoint/

3 hours later, a different user submits the same content with the title 'This girl is a keeper!' - 9600 upvotes:
http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/om156/this_girl_is_a_keeper/

... it's the same content, but the timing and the title made the difference here. The mention of power point in the first title probably put a lot of people off from clicking it... on the other hand on the other one 'This girl is a keeper!' is ambiguous enough, that people would have clicked through expecting to just see some hot girl... and then saw the content.
A2H GO

18th Jan 12 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon if you made a YouTube video called 'Pod2G releases A5 Jailbreak for iOS5, iPhone 4S and iPad2' and perhaps put 'tutorial' or 'guide' in there somewhere you'd get 1000's of muppets clicking it.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll