corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Premiership B teams in lower english leagues

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Premiership B teams in lower english leagues
Fro

User status: Offline
20th Jan 12 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think its a good idea, main point being as Johnny pointed out with promotions/cup draws, wouldn't work and would be ruining the system we have tbh.

Plus the daggers who are struggling to stay in the footie league this year would defo not stand a chance
JonnyJ

20th Jan 12 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fro
Plus the daggers who are struggling to stay in the footie league this year would defo not stand a chance

Dont start giving the opposition plus points mate
Robbo

20th Jan 12 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wenger suggested this morign to either scrap the ressies league and replace it with a U21 league (in addition to youth/U18) OR just scrap it all together and once your players are above U18 level, send them on loan (altho of course that then has as effect on development)
Grufman

20th Jan 12 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The B teams wouldn't have transfer budgets though would they? Wouldn't it mean just players from the respective academies?
JonnyJ

20th Jan 12 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Grufman
The B teams wouldn't have transfer budgets though would they? Wouldn't it mean just players from the respective academies?

The A Teams do, and they send them to the B Teams. Its not even the unfair advantage that pisses me off more, its the making a complete mockery of the english league system.
Grufman

20th Jan 12 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it would be a good thing for england fc and the top clubs. But what would happen when Liverpool A got relegated to the same league as Liverpool B :/ surely there would be people saying the games between them where fixed for the A team to get that extra 6 points a year etc.
JonnyJ

20th Jan 12 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont think Tom will go for that mate.
Tom

20th Jan 12 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
I just have extremely strong views on stuff like this Tom Sorry if it was a little OTT, If you knew me in person and this topic came up in discussion you would see how animated i get

With regards to problems re competitivness in the reserve leagues, aye, im sure it is a problem and thats certainly not one that can be solved by a quick fix. You'd think that the chance to impress and get a game for your club would be all the edge you need to make players competative.

Maybe the problem isnt the league, maybe its the fact that theres players in these league that know they just arent going to get a game for their team, because they can just swan off and sign someone for £30m quid. I imagine its pretty demoralising when your playing your 3rd season in a row in the reserves and you just dont look like getting anywhere.

So maybe squad size should be limited so that only the very fringe players, ones that are likely to make the first team cut are playing. Im not sure really. I just know B teams are not the answer. Not for England.

Again apologies for ranting and raving

[Edited on 20-01-2012 by JonnyJ]

Nah it's fair enough mate, I hadn't given it much thought but i'm on your wave length now and you've talked me round

Re the reserve leagues, it's a mixture of many things. Not all the top clubs enter the reserve league/could even put a side out. For it to work properely all the PL clubs would need the budget/inclination to register a reserve team and it'd need more thought than simply playing it on training fields infront of dozens of people. I watch our reserves and academy as much as possible on TV, and I should really go and watch them live, that's the big problem (not many have the inclination to do that).

quote:

It's not just academies though, it's reserves which makes it even more difficult to figure out.

quote:
I think it would be a good thing for england fc and the top clubs. But what would happen when Liverpool A got relegated to the same league as Liverpool B :/ surely there would be people saying the games between them where fixed for the A team to get that extra 6 points a year etc.

That would never happen (either us getting relegated or the A&B teams playing in the same league). It's too complicated tbh.

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

20th Jan 12 at 15:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rangers b and celtic b are being entered into the EPL as of next season
Russ

20th Jan 12 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
thats the other option, EPL b teams could play in the SPL, would be more interest in the scottish game then
chrisritch

20th Jan 12 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how fucking shit would SPL B teams be
Robbo

20th Jan 12 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arsène Wenger thinks the existence of 'B teams' in the lower leagues could be harmful to smaller clubs.

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has proposed that England follow the example of Spain and allow its top clubs to field 'feeder sides' in the Championship to aid the development of their younger players.

Wenger is not adverse to overhauling the current Reserve League system but he is not convinced that Villas-Boas' suggestion would benefit all.

"It is an idea we have heard before many times and it suits the bigger clubs, but it does not necessarily fit with the culture of English football," said Wenger.

"Why? Because everybody is supporting a club. For example with Barnet, the supporters do not want their club to be [denied promotion] because the reserve team of Arsenal is in front of them.

"It's very difficult to mix the interests of the smaller clubs with the interests of the big clubs who could have a second team and could be competitive in the smaller leagues."

Ojc

20th Jan 12 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ridiculous
JonnyJ

20th Jan 12 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
thats the other option, EPL b teams could play in the SPL, would be more interest in the scottish game then

Yeah, I'd go with that, it would be just like playing in the conference, only without the upset from fans of other clubs, because there isnt any.

Nice one Russ, problem solved
JonnyJ

20th Jan 12 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Arsène Wenger thinks the existence of 'B teams' in the lower leagues could be harmful to smaller clubs.

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has proposed that England follow the example of Spain and allow its top clubs to field 'feeder sides' in the Championship to aid the development of their younger players.

Wenger is not adverse to overhauling the current Reserve League system but he is not convinced that Villas-Boas' suggestion would benefit all.

"It is an idea we have heard before many times and it suits the bigger clubs, but it does not necessarily fit with the culture of English football," said Wenger.

"Why? Because everybody is supporting a club. For example with Barnet, the supporters do not want their club to be [denied promotion] because the reserve team of Arsenal is in front of them.

"It's very difficult to mix the interests of the smaller clubs with the interests of the big clubs who could have a second team and could be competitive in the smaller leagues."

I have just gained a whole new perspective of Mr Wenger. What a lovely man. See, this is someone who has managed in England for 16 years and has embraced its culture perfectly, he understands that clubs in the 3rd/4th/5th tier still actually mean something, they have real fans, fans who support only them. Barnet was a bit of a shit example but hey ho
Hammer

20th Jan 12 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Anyone who thinks this would be a great idea with no drawbacks is clearly an utter fool.

The only fools are those that would reject an increase in quality and revenue in order to attempt to protect history.

If we go down that road then the likes of Darlington will not be the only club with their backs to the wall.
Nath

20th Jan 12 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
quote:
Anyone who thinks this would be a great idea with no drawbacks is clearly an utter fool.

The only fools are those that would reject an increase in quality and revenue in order to attempt to protect history.

If we go down that road then the likes of Darlington will not be the only club with their backs to the wall.

How would this help a team like Darlo?
Hammer

20th Jan 12 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not directly, in general.

Multimedia revenue in the league would increase, as would attendances, as would the quality of player.
Nath

20th Jan 12 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't agree with any of those but the last one, and that'd only benefit the team with the B club anyway.
Cavey

20th Jan 12 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Nath said, and even then, it won't help England fc, as even the B teams will be filled with foreigners.
Hammer

20th Jan 12 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would TV and gate receipts not increase? Of course they would.
Nath

20th Jan 12 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Why would TV and gate receipts not increase? Of course they would.

Why? Man Utd B vs Burton Albion wouldnt be on TV and nor would it be a crowd puller. I'd be doing the opposite if this happened, I'd be boycotting all B games. It's a farce and only thought up to help teams at the top.
JonnyJ

20th Jan 12 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

You do realise clubs like us and Darlo live year to year in the conference, we only survive through either a cup run or selling a player, we NEED to be back in the league, not least to actually gain some decent television money again but also to get the FA Youth funding you lose when you drop out of the league and if that was denied because Man Utd B won our league then its a fucking joke, we could go bust because of that. If Wrexham dont get up this season they are well and truely in the shit, thats how fine the lines are at this level

We wont magically increased gates if we were to play Man Utd Reserves. How many fans do you actually think will turn up to away games, they dont get many as they stand now, why would they travel to Hayes or Tamworth for a game? There would probably be even less than teams like that bring already.

And TV money, where would this money come from? We'd get screwed like we always do because we are a small club. They have us in a vice and know we will accept anything. Do you know what we currently get for a televised game? £5k for a home team and 1.5K for an away team. It doesnt even cover the loss of support from playing games on stupid nights. We'd be forced to accept peanuts.

Cavey

20th Jan 12 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would they show Lewes v Chelsea B? In the southern premier league?

I don't see why attendances would either, people wouldn't go and watch B teams, would they? If I was a premier league fan, i woukdnt be paying 20 quid to watch the reserves each week.
JonnyJ

20th Jan 12 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hammer = Casual fan.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Premiership B teams in lower english leagues 23 database queries in 0.0135520 seconds