corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » need a quick response - loss of drive

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author need a quick response - loss of drive
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Feb 12 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how is buying a new box going to help if the cv joint or even driveshaft has broke?
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 15:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
Pow your correct if it had an lsd with a normal diff all drive goes to wheel with less resistance aka on with broken joint

However saying that been to garage showed me both cvs are ok so pow wins with the diff despite not understanding

Will be broken down now for parts

Thats why steve. Both cv's are fine. So instead of breaking it just get a new box for next to nouthing
kennySRi

10th Feb 12 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would you buy a new gearbox when it probably isnt that? What a waste of money and time.

Like people have said, jack the car up and you'll tell straight away if the cv has popped out, hopefully its just a case of whacking it back in or it needs a new joint.

As baza said, dont take it to a garage and start using their ramp and space to check it yourself

Edit to say i should of read the latest replies first

[Edited on 10-02-2012 by kennySRi]
Liam-Wilko

10th Feb 12 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you know some one with same engined corsa as your mate do what we did took the box of mine and put it on his just to test it first if that works then as above get a new box and a clutch
tom130691
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 16:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe it was just a loose shaft, as i had a call saying its working now

[Edited on 10-02-2012 by tom130691]
Dan295

10th Feb 12 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

random shaft escaping? did you not tighten it back up

at the 'need a new gearbox'
Liam-Wilko

10th Feb 12 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan295

my sugestion would have saved a lot of hastle ether way worked for use when we had this problem
John

10th Feb 12 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Swapping a gearbox wouldn't have saved that much hassle, you'd have had to swap a gearbox.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I told you how to fix it earlier.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
tom130691
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 19:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
quote:

I told you how to fix it earlier.

i didnt have the car, and hadnt been under it

they havnt been undone,

garage just phoned saying its fine so when he was showing me and checking cvs he must have knocked it back in

this is the only logical explanation

FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 20:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tom said he saw that both cv's wernt broken meaning that it couldnt of been the cv's that were broke OBVIOUSLY
Then when he said getting a new diff will cost him 300 with fitting. Might aswell pick up a box for 40 or 50 quid and fit that as that will obviously come with a diff wouldnt it. How is getting a new box a laughable suggestion?
harrisp

10th Feb 12 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had exactly the same probem, even after checking my CVs that I thought were fine were fucked.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fact the speedo was reading suggested everything was ok with the box. If he had bought another box and swapped it, he would have assumed the old box was the problem and scrapped what was actually a good, working box.
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Feb 12 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone suggested inner CVs?
VegasPhil
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you got your car back now? I'm starting to get a bit irritated by this.

Your driveshaft/cv has been pulled out of the gearbox slightly. The reason for this is because your car is lowered. This causes loss of drive and the speedo to do what you are saying it does. If you really want to you will also be able to put it in all of the gears with the engine running but still have no drive. Just makes the speedo go nuts.

When it happens again you simply will have to jack up the affected side and hit the inner cv upwards and inwards to get everything working again.

The diff won't be fucked, the cvs will be fine. You certainly don't require a new box. It costs nothing to find and you will spend more time getting the jack out and the car in the air than it will take to sort it.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yer i know it was just the cv had slipped out. That is all. He mentioned that the diff may need replacing. All i was simply sugesting is replacing the gearbox instead of just doing the diff IF the diff was the problem. That was all. I wasnt saying the inner cv has popped out so you need a new box. Im not saying the gearbox is fucked so it needs a new box. Im simply saying. If the diff WAS fucked then getting a new box would be easier and cheaper than gettin the diff replaced on its own
tom130691
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ian inner cv was my original thought

flaffy ye i wouldnt have got a diff i would have got a box as its logic,

phil the reason the shaft came out im guessing is the minor incident in the snow when i collided with a central reservation

all in all, i thought the worse when all i needed was a hammer

i will be getting the car monday probably and before i leave ill hammer the hubs/driveshafts,

will see how it goes from now, only need to last till june then i couldnt care less
Dan295

10th Feb 12 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i find it amusing your talking about logic now, earlier you were breaking your car because your cv joint slipped out
tom130691
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i find it amusing your talking about logic now, earlier you were breaking your car because your cv joint slipped out

its not logical to spend £300 (quotes from garage for clutch or box replacement) on a corsa b worth £5-600 when im coming in to 5k+ in the next few months therefor a decent car, when the upgrade arrived i intended to split the car anyway splitting in now made no difference to me

way to much internet in here, everybody knows everything
Dan295

10th Feb 12 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you posted up a thread asking for peoples advice and then ignored everyone, ignoring vegasphil who has a decent understanding of the subject having been there himself. thats not logical, besides if your so quick to quit when it goes wrong i dont think you should be mucking about with your car anyway
Dan295

10th Feb 12 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
That still requires both shafts to be broken in some way doesn't it? Moneys' still on diff

also lol
Gary
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 22:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@ this thread
tom130691
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 23:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
you posted up a thread asking for peoples advice and then ignored everyone, ignoring vegasphil who has a decent understanding of the subject having been there himself. thats not logical, besides if your so quick to quit when it goes wrong i dont think you should be mucking about with your car anyway

So I cant "muck about" due to the fact I didnt fancey doing a gearbox or clutch on my drive,
I didnt ignore anyone when I went to check the cvs myself the shafts were fully in so I thought no more of it,
quick to quit is based on me being able to see past the world of corsas and the plan to get rid or strip it anyway,

Im sure everyone here would instantly know it was a shaft that had slipped off its spline, if it had come out fully hen it would be obviouse, many people had the same ideas as me including the recovery guy but I suppose they shouldnt muck about with cars
scottyp1989

11th Feb 12 at 01:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by liam-corsa-1400
quote:

my sugestion would have saved a lot of hastle ether way worked for use when we had this problem

how would that have saved hastle? it would have caused more by having to take 2 gear boxes out of 2 cars then putting them back again.
jameswalshe1990

11th Feb 12 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A u2u would have been nice that your not breaking it just ignoring is fucking ignorant your a waste of fucking space

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » need a quick response - loss of drive 23 database queries in 0.0163081 seconds