corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » bike people...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bike people...
Matt L

User status: Offline
27th Mar 12 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Matt you did fine on it tbf. I did my cbt and after the morning session was bricking it going out on the road, but so simple it's untrue

Until it comes to turning what are u allowed to go upto power wise on just your cbt? Is it still 125cc regardless of age?
Daimo B

27th Mar 12 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think its 15bhp on a 125cc on CBT.

Think its 33bhp on a restricted license.

Not 100%, the rules keep changing.

SV650S is a great little bike to start with, forgiving, doesn't need to be screemed to get it going. Could do with a decent rear shock and revised front end though to make it handle as its a bit wallowy.

Great little 1st bikes though. The Fazer is quicker, the Hornet is the most powerfull and fastest and country back road orientated. I like twins, i'd have the SV again, and save up for my first big bike after that.

Also, if your after somethign more racey, consider the Kwak ZXR400. Fantastic little bikes, and going up again in value if you find a good one and look after it.
richc

27th Mar 12 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody hell insurance has gone up....i would be paying more now than i would when i was 18 on the same bike :/ Thinking of selling my landy and getting a r6 and insurance is over 1000.
corsa120

27th Mar 12 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sv wallowy????????? mate its a 4800quid bike from new and handles amazingly for the price...... on a track day last year at mallory park i was all over my bosses blade in the corners i only lost out on straight line speed and he aint rubbish rider!!!! i was riding a standard sv 650 with scorpion can on.... im more than happy with the handling for the money ( mines not new though couple of year old)

do have good tyres though and my only real pree prep was tyre pressures, i do now have a gsxr 750 along side this sv and still love the sv crackin little bike
sand-eel

28th Mar 12 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is my sv650s

Insurance is around £25/m £20 odd different if I pay in a one'r so just monthly.
They can look decent with a few mods and go pretty well with few mods. Mine has 0.85kg/mm front springs from standard 0.70kg/mm and 15w fork oil from standard 7w which is like the consistancy of milk
I've disconnected 2nd and 3rd gear ignition retarder (for noise regulations) and put a -1Tooth sprocket on the front so acceleration is decent...even roasted a golf R32 yesterday off the lights
Tax is £70/y
sand-eel

28th Mar 12 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reprayed mine in bmw alpine white and saphire black so totally unique
Daimo B

28th Mar 12 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa120
sv wallowy????????? mate its a 4800quid bike from new and handles amazingly for the price...... on a track day last year at mallory park i was all over my bosses blade in the corners i only lost out on straight line speed and he aint rubbish rider!!!! i was riding a standard sv 650 with scorpion can on.... im more than happy with the handling for the money ( mines not new though couple of year old)

do have good tyres though and my only real pree prep was tyre pressures, i do now have a gsxr 750 along side this sv and still love the sv crackin little bike

I had one for 2 years. Standard suspension is wallowy. No need to say about the faster than your boss thing, no ego's over here to bust . I've got 2 bikes as well, one stripped and dedicated for the track, ohlins rear, maxton front end etc (CBR600), and an Italian stalion for the road (that has seen track a fair few times), I know what im on about with the SV. Not knocking them, I loved mine, its a great introduction bike, but the standard suspension is very soft.

Put the GSXR front end on the SV, change the rear shock, you'll get what im on about then You dont buy a budget bike and expect a good suspension.

Here was mine... During an engine change

That SV pic above looks nice, but needs the belly pan sprayed and a longer tailpipe.

CORSA NUT

28th Mar 12 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just found this around the corner from me! Does it look good? Sounds like its been looked after and would make a great first bike

eBay number 251028496955 sorry can't link on my iPhone
corsa120

28th Mar 12 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

daimo its not an ego thing its a fact to be fair his blade is p-reg model so its fair few year old but owning an sv alongside a pretty new gsxr 750 i disagree with you about the suspension its plenty good enough for the price of the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and think you have missed my point! yes its a budget bike and i personally feel the suspension is more than capable for the price of the bike and in my opinion if you are on the limits of an sv's suspension you are looking for a skin graph sorry just my opinion

[Edited on 28-03-2012 by corsa120]
Sunz

28th Mar 12 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Just found this around the corner from me! Does it look good? Sounds like its been looked after and would make a great first bike

I think it looks decent that but feel there is quite a bit of movement on the price due to MOT running out soon and also no road tax.

Although 30,000 miles isn't a lot for something 12 years old I do believe it's quite a bit for a motorbike but I don't think if that bike had 50,000 on the clock you could really budge the price on that.
I had a P reg Bandit 600 on 34,000 kmh and it was sweet.

I think the older SV looks a lot nicer, round frame and the almost happy cute bubblish front sports faring.
CORSA NUT

28th Mar 12 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
quote:

I think it looks decent that but feel there is quite a bit of movement on the price due to MOT running out soon and also no road tax.

Although 30,000 miles isn't a lot for something 12 years old I do believe it's quite a bit for a motorbike but I don't think if that bike had 50,000 on the clock you could really budge the price on that.
I had a P reg Bandit 600 on 34,000 kmh and it was sweet.

I think the older SV looks a lot nicer, round frame and the almost happy cute bubblish front sports faring.

Thanks for that mate it does say I think he will put a full MOT on and tax is cheap? I'd offer £1300 but the boss has just fucked the idea off
Sunz

28th Mar 12 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sand-eel above says its £70 a year for tax.

Is a really good deal for £1300
CORSA NUT

29th Mar 12 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arrr so he does

Had the whole 'We have a baby now so you can't have one' argument over it so it a no go wife thinks as soon as anyone gets on a bike they spontaneously combust etc etc
Matt L

29th Mar 12 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Arrr so he does

Had the whole 'We have a baby now so you can't have one' argument over it so it a no go wife thinks as soon as anyone gets on a bike they spontaneously combust etc etc

same reason mines been put on hold for a year or so ... well... not the baby thing just the gf/parents seem to think the second i sit on one ill instantly end up dead.

tbf my gf's uncle practically lost his leg on a bike so i can see why she doesnt want me to get one... will definatly get one at some point though.

so now its down to what do i do to my car

[Edited on 29-03-2012 by Matt L]
Russ

30th Mar 12 at 07:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my nan died of a heart attack, still wouldnt get rid of my heart

[Edited on 30-03-2012 by Russ]
Daimo B

30th Mar 12 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Old mans injuries from bikes...

Broken neck in 2 places, 2 weeks paralysis...
Gangreen, nearly lost arm.
Broken hip/thigh in 20 places, due a new hip soon, pinned and plated.
Broken ribs.
Broken foot

His best friend snapped his thigh in half after they had a racing accident (racing together, another bike hit them).

i've been lucky, 4 offs, no real damage, fractured foot, thats about it.

Bikings dangrous, but a bike will only go as fast as you make it. Don't outride your abilities and try to keep up with others if your skill level is not up to standard.

Keep an eye on EVERY other car in your vacinity, dont put yourself into situations where you could come off worse. This is half bikers accidents problems, going for a gap they shouldn't do, not giving cars opportunities to see them (and the other half is down to the drivers not paying attention).

Old man still rides, still tracks his bikes, as do I. When I have kids, i'll continue to ride bikes.

Having a missis tell you no is thumb treatment.

SV looks tidy, but i'd want a closer look to see the state of the changes. Seems a lot of work for a budget bike with 30k on the clock. An un-ridden project would have me asking questions and a closer inspection. Visually though, it looks nice and the price is good for a curvy SV of that year.
Matt L

30th Mar 12 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you see, listing your dads injurys puts me off a bit .

tbf i made the same point as you to them that it will only go as quick as i make it go, but apparently because i occasionally put my foot down in the car she seems to think i will constantly race everyone where as id probably be constantly sh*tting myself on one .
Daimo B

30th Mar 12 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Injuries happen though in anything. Go skiing, good chance of busting a knee, play football, good chance of doing muscle damage etc.

I've done well over 100,000 miles on bikes, had a couple of offs (some my own lack of skills, others down to car drivers doing U turns without looking etc). And i've not had many injuries. In fact, I get far more injuries playing football once a week for fitness, than I do riding my bikes at fast speeds, and to date yet "touches wood" i've not binned my track bike, and I ride that faster and harder than anything I do on the road.

Its pot luck, you just do what you can to avoid situations. Go to overtake a car, car comes the other way/traffic island in teh middle, could "squeeze" through the gap and save 5 seconds, or could wait till its safe, then go. You choose the latter, it slows you down, but you totally avoid an accident. Unfortunatly, many power rangers dont do this and will go for the gap. I saw a video of a biker being killed where he overtook 5-6 cars doing well over 100mph that were doing 40mph. One went to overtake, biker avoided, head on straight into a lorry or soemthing. Now if that biker had gone past slower, he could slowed and avoided the car who pulled out.

You make your own luck half the time.

You dont need to race everyone on a bike, theres not much that will keep up anyway
gooner_47

30th Mar 12 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See I would absolutely love to have a bike, but the whole safety aspect of it does really put me off. I know I'd be sensible myself, but as you say half of it is other road users not looking properly. I'm actually guilty of that myself, driving my VXR once I forgot to check my blind spot before I pulled out and nearly took out a bike.

I know from riding my pedal bike just what stupid things people can do in cars as well. On that, going about 15-20mph I've struggled to stop before hitting someone when they've pulled in front of me or something, I dread to think what would have happened had I been going twice that speed on a motorbike.
sand-eel

30th Mar 12 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B

That SV pic above looks nice, but needs the belly pan sprayed and a longer tailpipe.

The belly pan is sprayed bmw saphire black and I cut the exhaust down like 3 days ago as I didn't like it long
sand-eel

30th Mar 12 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got my sv for £1200 with 14k miles, which means I could defo sell for a profit
Sunz

30th Mar 12 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your sv was overpriced [CS reply/]

Is a good deal that.

I rode for about 4 years on 125's, most of the safety aspect I found was based apon myself as the rider.
Don't put yourself in danger and always think ahead.

Was quite often I would come to stand still just for a driver I knew didn't see me who was pulling out, they would then look my way and jump in shock when they saw my bike, a lot of it is really basic driving and people don't bother to think what if and maybe.

Every car driver should do a cbt and spend some time on the road as a bike before learning to drive.
CORSA NUT

30th Mar 12 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't say I'm under the thumb Daimo my wife never stops me from doing anything infact she encourages me. I think the main thing is she has no mum and dad and I'm pretty much all she has. If I go then she's well and truly on her own. I suppose you can get hurt/killed doing anything, I'm a spark so I'm always at risk BUT putting yourself at risk of death when it's not really that important is...in my case....maybe not ideal? I might just get my test done on the sly
AlexW

31st Mar 12 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rare that Im on here now but this is right up my street.

Id say nearly every motorcycle crash is due to the rider, You have to expect everybody to pull out on you, and that nobody ever sees you. Riding in fear of dying/falling off will make you a good rider.

I'm yet to crash other than riding in the ice and snow, getting to mine, stopping, putting my foot out and not getting any grip and the bike falling between my legs as I jumped out the way.

Even a little 125 is fun and uber cheap to run, A sporty 4stroke 125 will return 80+mpg and one of the newer CBF's will do up to 130mpg iirc.

Big 600s are Mega fun and so easy to get points on but you can still get good savings.

Don't just get on a bike because its cheap, Its also mega fun and in a busy city/gridlocked roads its much quicker too.

Also, I have SV650 too.
corsa120

31st Mar 12 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah everybody says you make a bike as fast as you make it but its not true!!!!!!! bikes pull speeds so UNBELIEVABLY easy to which case you find yourself going faster without even realising i mean lets not forget here for arguments sake the SUZUKI sv 650 is a beginner entry level bike and it does the standing 1/4 mile in about 11 seconds now that in car terms is immensly fast but its classed as very slow for a bike and trust me it is as i own an sv and a gsxr and the difference is worlds apart!

my gsxr so much unnecessary power its rediculous i mean i can get from like 30 mph to 170mph in absolutely no time at all!!!!

typical sistuation you find yourself in is me and a mate went out the day on our bikes the roads were drenched so we said we'll just have a nice steady ride pull into a cafe for some tea etc and when we got to the cafe we both commented on how at points we were cornering at 80-90 mph in the wet but thing is its feels slow on a bike, my point is its the power of the things to blame for the insanity of the rider and if you get a dickhead mixed with a 150bhp bike its spells trouble/danger etc etc

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » bike people... 22 database queries in 0.2333651 seconds