corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » astra cdti 150 bhp vs 120bhp?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author astra cdti 150 bhp vs 120bhp?
dan-sport

User status: Offline
27th Apr 12 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for a taxi company and we have loads of 120 and 150 models in vectra's and the milages range from 100 to 300 and in my opinion there a strong reliable engine, we've hardly had any trouble with them.

But if you dont care about speed too much and just want reliabilty the 1.7cdti 120 astra would be my choice, the only things that go wrong on them is starter motors and alternators which are both less then £150 from motor factors.
Corsa_Sport21

Internet reports of something breaking is going to be more common than reports of something not breaking though. And lets face it, there is alot of reports of the common faults and it happening to owners. Its enough to put people off, this thread is a perfect example.

When searching for "Astra CDTi common faults", you sure as shite aren't going to ignore it when you come across umpteen topics of gearbox problems with owners experiencing said issue.
corsajay88

quote:
Originally posted by John
Not from new, was about a year old.
It might have fallen apart after I got rid of it, I was just saying I had 0 problems, most of the internet probably don't post that though, they'll only post when something breaks.

Dead right there, think about it, say 1000 people had the problems and complained compared to a million that havent.

You want one mate so just buy it, you probably wont be happy with a different one
GB123
Premium Member

27th Apr 12 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Search for any car and it's common problems and you're going to find loads, just get what you'd be happiest with tbh.
andys sxi
Premium Member

27th Apr 12 at 19:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It might have fallen apart after I got rid of it, I was just saying I had 0 problems, most of the internet probably don't post that though, they'll only post when something breaks.

Yeah but yours was basically new not 7 years old, I bet if yours broke when you had it you would be posting the same problems, and yeah you will always find people will always post the bad things

April 08 feature car
andys sxi
Premium Member

27th Apr 12 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Internet reports of something breaking is going to be more common than reports of something not breaking though. And lets face it, there is alot of reports of the common faults and it happening to owners. Its enough to put people off, this thread is a perfect example.

When searching for "Astra CDTi common faults", you sure as shite aren't going to ignore it when you come across umpteen topics of gearbox problems with owners experiencing said issue.

I'm glad somebody actually agrees with me, you do a search on Astras and it is enough to put you off but I no there's problems with every car

April 08 feature car
andys sxi
Premium Member

27th Apr 12 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsajay88
quote:

Dead right there, think about it, say 1000 people had the problems and complained compared to a million that havent.

You want one mate so just buy it, you probably wont be happy with a different one

I no yeah I do really like them and don't think if be happy with a different kind of Astra, looked at other cars about but nothing else takes my fancy. Well theres Audi a3 tdi's but the insurance is quite high for me and I wouldn't be benifting from Getting one

April 08 feature car
Beato

27th Apr 12 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a 150. Was on 24k when I got it now on 71k, only problem was alternator going.
Beato

27th Apr 12 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And I've had the tuning box in for most of that.
22B

27th Apr 12 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I considered buying a 150 or 120 cdti, but coupled with the reliability issues, gearbox problems and pretty poor MPG for a diesel, Im leaning more towards a Fabia VRS
Beato

27th Apr 12 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Poor mpg based on what?
John

27th Apr 12 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine got exactly the same MPG as my fabia.
andys sxi
Premium Member

27th Apr 12 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just spoke to somebody about a car he had for sale it's sold now but he had all the common problems done in 3 years that he owned the car and said he wouldn't advise any 1 to buy one

April 08 feature car
Corsa_Sport21

27th Apr 12 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also just to help your decision, the gearbox on my mates old 2008 CDTi Astravan went at 23k. Was fixed on warranty.
noshua

27th Apr 12 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd advise that with my Corsa if I'd have had a shit load of problems. Everyone's story is different.
corsajay88

27th Apr 12 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 22B
I considered buying a 150 or 120 cdti, but coupled with the reliability issues, gearbox problems and pretty poor MPG for a diesel, Im leaning more towards a Fabia VRS

My stepdads got the 2.0cdti and he gets over 50mpg the new ones are bigger and heavier and he doesnt drive sensibly. Actual mpg not book figures
John

27th Apr 12 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgot I also owned a vectra with the same engine, which my dad has now. 60k and all it's needed is an alternator.

People who's mates mate had one know better though.
andys sxi
Premium Member

27th Apr 12 at 21:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Also just to help your decision, the gearbox on my mates old 2008 CDTi Astravan went at 23k. Was fixed on warranty.

Well doesn't really help me

April 08 feature car
Seany

27th Apr 12 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drive my dads 150 a lot and its never missed a beat in 4 years that he's had it. The mpg isn't the best compared to some diesels but not bad.
andys sxi
Premium Member

27th Apr 12 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it is luck then if you get a good one or not, might have to find 1 with the gearbox that's been sorted

April 08 feature car
John

27th Apr 12 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People on here seem to have a knack of buying completely shit examples of cars then claiming they are bad.

Everyone is an expert so it couldn't possibly have been their bad choice.
22B

27th Apr 12 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Mine got exactly the same MPG as my fabia.

Reading round internet forums seems to be a general consensus on the cdti achieving around 38-45mpg. Ive had a Pd 130 engined car in the past and know they are easily capable of 50mpg, they maybe a bit long in the tooth compared to the newer VAG 2.0 tdi's but they are reliable and capable of some serious miles.
Mieran

27th Apr 12 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its seems that mostly younger people and members on forums have the gearbox issue, I wonder why...
sc0ott

27th Apr 12 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get the 888 version if you can afford it
John

27th Apr 12 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had 2 1.9 cdtis and a few vag tdis and have got the same mileage within a couple of mpg. Real life figures, not trying to boast on forum figures.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » astra cdti 150 bhp vs 120bhp? 23 database queries in 0.0214140 seconds