corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Is French needed for English/Welsh universities?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is French needed for English/Welsh universities?
ed

User status: Offline
3rd May 12 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
quote:
Originally posted by ed
Chinese would be more useful, for group work.

it is funny because it is so true!!

It's good to be able to look back at it and have a laugh, but at the time it was bloody annoying!

French could be useful to know I suppose - you never know who you might end up working for and in what country. Airbus could be an interesting place to work and there are many more international engineering companies with bases in France. I suppose my comment about Chinese could be taken a bit more seriously too, the Chinese are taking over!
Fonz
Premium Member

3rd May 12 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
Motorsport Engineering at Oxford???!!!

You sure?

Do you mean Oxford Brooks?

it could only be Oxford Brooks...i know a few locally who have passed through their doors from college

i have been through the facility myself, although at the time i was working as a removals porter as a temp during one of my uni holidays!!
Simon

3rd May 12 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brookes
Rob E

3rd May 12 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrdn7

Oh arse I'm on the wrong side of the country for that!

What all is involved in the motorsport course?

In brief, lots of maths and science What qualifications do you already have? I just had my GCSEs, an AVCE in ICT and my NVQ in vehicle maintenance when I came to Uni. I was enrolled on the BEng first but because of my lack of A-level maths and science I failed the exams in both subjects. The corsework however, I passed them all with flying colours.

I then moved to the HND/BSc level where the maths and science is taught at a much slower rate and was far more suited to my capability and I have managed fine since. I'm just finishing my final year now and overall it has been an interesting learning experience. We have done all sorts of assignments like comparing cylinder head flow efficiencies with a standard cylinder head and a ported head, engine dyno testing, transmission matching stuff, lots of assignments based on chassis setup around Pembrey race circuit etc. They also teach you how to use the NX CAD package which is awesome once you know how to use it properly. This year we have done some stuff on data acquisition off the Uni's Formula Renault race car which was really interesting. We ran the car with various aero loads then used the data to see what effect it was having on the handling of the car. On the BSc you are free to chose what subject your dissertation is on too which is a bonus. I redesigned a lower wishbone for my MX5 which was a lot more complicated than I first anticipated.

Ive also had some great experiences through uni, they run various race and rally cars as well as motorbikes which students are encouraged to get involved with and help develop the cars. I was lucky to gain a placement with a team called Atech Reid Grand Prix who took us out to the races all over the world with them where we got to be part of the team working on the cars during a race weekend/join in the pitstops/running of the cars etc. It was the best experience ever!

I'm sure there is an open day coming up soon for the motorsport/automotive engineering part of Swansea metropolitan. I can highly recommend coming for a visit!
John

3rd May 12 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BSc is the same level as BEng, HND is lower.
Rob E

3rd May 12 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BEng is one level higher than the BSc. HND is level 5, BSc is level 6 and and BEng is Level 7
LeeM

3rd May 12 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BEng is defo the same level as BSc, I'm doing BEng
John

3rd May 12 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eng for engineering, Sc for Science.

HND is something you get at college.
RichR
Premium Member

3rd May 12 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
BEng is defo the same level as BSc, I'm doing BEng

They're both Bachelor degrees so technically on the same level from that perspective but an Engineering (BEng) Degree is often viewed or regarded as a higher level of degree than a science (BSc) Degree. I guess because of the way a core engineering subject combines physics, maths, and design development

[In general terms - There are obvious exceptions to the rule]

[Edited on 03-05-2012 by LiVe LeE]
LeeM

3rd May 12 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have thought BSc electrical engineering would be more highly regarded then BEng mechanical engineering?
Rob E

3rd May 12 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what I've seen and experienced on both courses, the amount of stuff I have learnt on the BSc course is the evquivilent to two years on the BEng course. It could well be different in other subjects though.

We had a guy come in from the ImechE a few weeks ago explaining how we could become a fully chartered engineer. It takes a minimum of 5 years if you have a BEng in engineering qualification and a minimum of 7 years if you have a BSc in engineering to achieve the same status

[Edited on 03-05-2012 by Rob E]
Whittie

3rd May 12 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If this is the future of motorsport, god help it.
John

3rd May 12 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's because for engineering you want BEng and not BSc so you'd have to go and do all the stuff you'd missed.

If you want to go and do some science it would be the opposite way around.
pow
Premium Member

3rd May 12 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BEng, BSc and BA are all the same 'level', what they are regarded as in the real world is up for argument
Fad

3rd May 12 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

David you really need to get that chip off your shoulder
jrdn7

3rd May 12 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob E
quote:
Originally posted by jrdn7

Oh arse I'm on the wrong side of the country for that!

What all is involved in the motorsport course?

In brief, lots of maths and science What qualifications do you already have? I just had my GCSEs, an AVCE in ICT and my NVQ in vehicle maintenance when I came to Uni. I was enrolled on the BEng first but because of my lack of A-level maths and science I failed the exams in both subjects. The corsework however, I passed them all with flying colours.

I then moved to the HND/BSc level where the maths and science is taught at a much slower rate and was far more suited to my capability and I have managed fine since. I'm just finishing my final year now and overall it has been an interesting learning experience. We have done all sorts of assignments like comparing cylinder head flow efficiencies with a standard cylinder head and a ported head, engine dyno testing, transmission matching stuff, lots of assignments based on chassis setup around Pembrey race circuit etc. They also teach you how to use the NX CAD package which is awesome once you know how to use it properly. This year we have done some stuff on data acquisition off the Uni's Formula Renault race car which was really interesting. We ran the car with various aero loads then used the data to see what effect it was having on the handling of the car. On the BSc you are free to chose what subject your dissertation is on too which is a bonus. I redesigned a lower wishbone for my MX5 which was a lot more complicated than I first anticipated.

Ive also had some great experiences through uni, they run various race and rally cars as well as motorbikes which students are encouraged to get involved with and help develop the cars. I was lucky to gain a placement with a team called Atech Reid Grand Prix who took us out to the races all over the world with them where we got to be part of the team working on the cars during a race weekend/join in the pitstops/running of the cars etc. It was the best experience ever!

I'm sure there is an open day coming up soon for the motorsport/automotive engineering part of Swansea metropolitan. I can highly recommend coming for a visit!

You my friend are an absolute hero! Cheers for all that, I love the whole idea of developing parts & working with data acquisition gear. I re-designed the exhaust from manifold down to tailpipe in a free class in school for my Corsa, ended up getting an extra 10 bhp!

Oh, and before anyone thinks it, I'm not a complete and total retard by asking this question! It's just my careers guidance teacher told me I need French for every course I'll be wanting to go near in Uni, which confused me as engineering has little or nothing to do with foreign languages.

Don't know why I listened to her because she laughed at me when I said I wanted to go into motorsport engineering.
Rob E

3rd May 12 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool stuff, how did you know it gained an extra 10 bhp? Did you build it and try it? We did a pretty large section on exhaust design, its a pretty complex subject. The race cars I was working on at Atech Reid had titanium exhaust manifolds that were worth $20,000 a pop
jrdn7

3rd May 12 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck, my exhaust was a water pipe that was found in the scrappy! haha Granda did some unbelievably complex mathematical equation to figure out the power of the engine. What one it was I haven't a clue!
Dan295

3rd May 12 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
BEng, BSc and BA are all the same 'level', what they are regarded as in the real world is up for argument

i'd love you to say that to my face
LeeM

3rd May 12 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob E
Cool stuff, how did you know it gained an extra 10 bhp? Did you build it and try it? We did a pretty large section on exhaust design, its a pretty complex subject. The race cars I was working on at Atech Reid had titanium exhaust manifolds that were worth $20,000 a pop

Pulse tuning and stuff? Gets heavy
Gary
Premium Member

3rd May 12 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan295
quote:
Originally posted by pow

i'd love you to say that to my face

Why? Technically hes correct. Its just that eng is regarded higher. Ba's tend to be shite. But a BSc in genetics or whatever would be just as if not more difficult than an eng degree.

In engineering terms the beng is actually higher than bsc.

Dan295

3rd May 12 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt involve you, hence why i said i would love him to say that to my face. nothing about what degree is a higher level etc
ed

3rd May 12 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A bachelors degree is a bachelors degree. They all signify you've done the same amount of learning - the subject is what differs between them so obviously a BA in Art and Design is going to be 'better' than a BEng if you want to work in a studio drawing things.
Gary
Premium Member

3rd May 12 at 17:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dony think he will. With you being such a hard nut and that.

you southerners are weird
Dan295

3rd May 12 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a hard nut ? wtf are you getting at? he wouldnt say it to my face, ive worked my arse off for my degree inside and outside the classroom, hence why you dont understand and are misinterpreting, also hence why the post didnt quote you

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Is French needed for English/Welsh universities? 22 database queries in 0.0106559 seconds