corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » what has happened......

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author what has happened......
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Jun 12 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by silvercorsabee
it seems to be the more undrivable (stanced/low) the car is the better it is esp dub owners or the ones ive came across anyway

[Edited on 05-06-2012 by silvercorsabee]

And they have one of the best show/meet scenes.
*CorsaCal*

5th Jun 12 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its car insurance thats killed the shows. No-one can afford to insure a modified ca nowadays!
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scrappage scheme didn't help matters, people trading in their old modified cars for a brand new one then they're that loaded up with finance they can't afford to modify them anymore.

Fuel prices too, the young un's that would be the current 'cruise culture' can't afford the fuel to be swanning about to meets everywhere anymore so by the time they're earning well enough to have the ability, they've grown out of standing round in car parks and traffic light grand prix'.

It is a shame to see but I think that's the reason track days are taking off so much, you don't actually need to be able to afford to run 2 road cars, if you've got the ability to tow, a cheap track car can be kept with minimal costs, no insurance, tax, MOT etc. just literally fuel, servicing costs and odd repairs/further modifications. Plus imo a trackday is a hell of a lot more fun and adrenaline filled than a race up the local duel carriageway or maybe a quick back road thrash.
Nic Barnes

5th Jun 12 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How Many people can realistically afford that though? Car, plus towing car and trailer then 100+ per track day and fuel for both vehicles etc etc. cost me probably 200 quid to do one day at oulton park. That's what I mean about the fun side. It's expensive. Probably too expensive. I couldn't afford to do one a month. Maybe one every 6 months. So you've now got a car with no mot no tax etc that you drive maybe 150 miles a year.
Mike
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've barely had a wage in the past 4 years so people with a wage coming in shouldn't have too much of a problem keeping a car that only costs them money when they choose to spend it. After your initial outlay for the car, there's never actually any pressure to spend money so you can just do what you can afford too. As I say though, this is for people who've grown out of standing in car parks and when keeping a car looking show standard costs a lot too.
Nic Barnes

5th Jun 12 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See even 1/4mile shit has become less fun in the last couple of years as its just becoming too expensive to try and keep up with the quick stuff. All become serious, and I don't take it seriously so probably why I don't find the fun in it. I enjoy a quick blast on the roads in my car, clearly I'm in the minority.

Edit - personally if i own a car and can't drive it on the roads when I want I don't see the point in it, which is kinda what I mean it's all become serious. I drive that corsa all year round, rain, snow, through floods etc as its a car. If I was only to drive it 2-3 times a year it would just get sold, becomes pointless to have it IMHO.

[Edited on 05-06-2012 by Nic Barnes]
Mike
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 23:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's all well and good when you can afford to have 2 cars all road legal, I can't, I have a van and a car that costs me money when I can afford to spend it. Without the car, I'm left with a van which is about as much fun as turning up to a 1/4 mile competition on a push bike.
Nic Barnes

5th Jun 12 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh mike, i can barely afford to do it anymore myself. although i can still go blast about on the country roads, and i understand thats not fun/serious enough for most of you, but tbh, its perfectly fine by me. i own a road car, and will use it on the roads. not 3 times a year. which doesn't sound like a great deal of fun at all. 4 months, use it for a day, 4 months use it for a day etc. id be pissed off it was just sat there unable to be used when i wanted.
Mike
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 23:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's this seriousness all about too? I go to track days with a standard 1.6 engine which is less than impressive, boat like suspension and regularly find myself facing the wrong way on the grass because I'm being a bit daft, there's nothing serious about it, I generally get a few laughs out of every track session, it's not in the slightest bit serious.
Nic Barnes

5th Jun 12 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just seems as if people forget the fun that used to be kicking around in cars messing about on huge convoy road trips for no other reason than just enjoying it. i don't regret all them years ago kicking about the car parks making noise and thinking a 1.4 nova was a rocket ship. was an absolute laugh.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jun 12 at 02:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does still go on to some degree but its nowhere near as big.

Also notice these days that if you meet people on a car park they're all in fairly nice new standard cars, example yesterday there was me in a standard Astra, an A6 avant 3.0 diesel, RS6, E39 M5, E46 M3, couple of Golf 5/6, Focus ST etc.

Perhaps its just old people now who've moved on to sensible standard cars or there are no new people coming through, but modifying for posing is largely dead.

Still fair amounts of hanging about if you look hard enough.
Graham88

6th Jun 12 at 02:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think fuel plays a massive part to be honest and the fact people want fast cars instead of kitted up with sound systems. So driving around pointlessly used to cost £10, £20 if you went Southend or 100 miles away etc now it's more like a tank of juice and I'd rather put that money towards a trackday
Nic Barnes

6th Jun 12 at 06:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't even begin to imagine the wages you lot must be on to be able to afford to do countless track days and maintenance on the cara you use. Must be nice!
Mike
Premium Member

6th Jun 12 at 07:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian doesn't have a job and I've barely had a wage in 4 years, yeah it's great
AK

6th Jun 12 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if I think about that, i'd prob cease having fun

[Edited on 06-06-2012 by AK]
DaveyLC

6th Jun 12 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The good old days to me is Guildford Cruise and Southend at the begining of the millenium
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

6th Jun 12 at 08:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't decide which side to be on. I love track days, but equally I wouldn't own a specific track car only to be used twice a year. I love the aspect of driving around the roads in a sleeper and surprising quick cars. Not quite the same on a track..

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
adiohead

6th Jun 12 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Insurance killed it, imho
3i_gaz

6th Jun 12 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People don't want to run round in changed up bags of shite anymore. Would much rather have a nice car out the tin to start with.
Gary
Premium Member

6th Jun 12 at 08:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I blame the internet in part. As webspace and a decent connection isn't expensive anymore we now have extensive build threads and masses of pictures online. Back in the late 90s early 00s the only way to see what other cars were about was either a magazine or a meet/show.

Definatly blame the internet.
AK

6th Jun 12 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is insurance as bad these days?

'When I were a lad' it seemed daft expensive for a 1.4 16v Corsa Sport (1996 P reg, I bought in 1998 sold in 2001)

I was paying £1400 for a Supra in 2000/2001 when I was 21/22
BeetleGav

6th Jun 12 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went to a northern modified meet for the first time last month, the meet then moved to an industrial estate to street race, was good until the police came and everyone scrambled ( was exactly like the fast and the furious)
i heard a lad got 6points too which spoils the fun

wasnt my scene though, i prefer meeting at a pub and relaxing with a pint tbh
Gary
Premium Member

6th Jun 12 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
is insurance as bad these days?

'When I were a lad' it seemed daft expensive for a 1.4 16v Corsa Sport (1996 P reg, I bought in 1998 sold in 2001)

I was paying £1400 for a Supra in 2000/2001 when I was 21/22

If your point free with ncb it seems fine. If not your fucked.
DaveyLC

6th Jun 12 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
How Many people can realistically afford that though? Car, plus towing car and trailer then 100+ per track day and fuel for both vehicles etc etc. cost me probably 200 quid to do one day at oulton park. That's what I mean about the fun side. It's expensive. Probably too expensive. I couldn't afford to do one a month. Maybe one every 6 months. So you've now got a car with no mot no tax etc that you drive maybe 150 miles a year.

Most people find it perfectly acceptable to blow that kind of money on fags in a month though?
DaveyLC

6th Jun 12 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3i_gaz
People don't want to run round in changed up bags of shite anymore. Would much rather have a nice car out the tin to start with.

Even budget cars are spec'd up quite nicely these days too. Back in the day a Fiesta Popular wouldnt have headrests or even enough fabric to cover the metal on the door panels so there was a massive industry for modifications that covered every aspect of the car not just some wanker lights and a can of interior spray paint.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » what has happened...... 23 database queries in 0.0212281 seconds