corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » which college or university course would be best.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author which college or university course would be best.....
AK

User status: Offline
8th Jun 12 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldnt have got my job at 21 without going to Uni.

I'm just basing all my comments on experience.

Now its what I would consider meaningless to mt CV as I have 10+years of experience BUT I wouldnt have got to where I am without Uni.

I'm also doing that MEng as a means to get my foot in another door.

It cleary means more than some folk think.
chumbly_warner
Premium Member

8th Jun 12 at 10:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Every developer at the company i work for has a degree.

Most have a Computer Science degree, i did Software Engineering which was alot more geeky, but i knew what i wanted to do at the end of it.
Fonz
Premium Member

8th Jun 12 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
You seemed to imply that a degree will take you to better places though?

I think self belief and common sense are more important than any qualification.

sorry i see where your coming from now - and to a point i would agree, a qualification doesn't prove competance

both lads i mention wanted an career in IT, and as far as i can tell are as "qualified" as each other, they could fairly easily swap roles and not be "out of their depth"

my original point being you dont need a degree to get into the industry.

as for prospects, the lad at the school is happy with his position, and doesnt want the job in London and the life that goes with it...but that doesnt mean he couldnt if he wanted to
my brother on the other hand wants more options when the time comes to move up that career ladder and that is easier with a degree than otherwise simply because it looks favourable

as a general rule i would *sticks my neck out now* agree that a degree will open more doors, and give more opportunities, but that doesnt mean someone without a degree has to put up with their lot and be done with it, as mentioned competancy carries more weight and i believe that this purely because of what others preseive from a degree (which i dont agree with)

a former apprentice, and tool shop worker, at our place keeps being over looked for jobs which he is suitable for, and he believes (thanks to overwelming evidence i might add) it is because he doesnt have a degree. (the jobs have been offered to and accepted by graduates)
he has a big chip on his shoulder about it and i can see why. he has been here 5-6 years, knows the subject, knows the right people and has all the experience and knowledge that comes with those years.
yet others who have no prior experience in the industry, brand new to the company but have a degree are considered and are offered a job over him.

He is just as capable and has just as much potential as anyone else, but on paper, because of the way people view a graduate over a non-graduate missing out and i dont agree with it

to return to the subject after hi-jacking the thread

my point being - there is no right or wrong course for a job in IT based on what i have seen with my friends/family. what i would say is work out what you want from the industry and what would be the most suitable way into that subject
John

8th Jun 12 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you need to do a college course to learn about IT you'll never be any good at it IMO.

You'll be useless at anything but first line support that comes with loads of training.
AK

8th Jun 12 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, but You'll never bloody get that first job without some form of qualification!

So its round and round in circles.....

Do shite at school normally means that unless you are good with your hands, or start your own business = have a shite job.

You NEED some form or qualificatio nin this day and age.

Simply saying "If you need to do a college course to learn about IT you'll never be any good at it IMO" is all fair and well if you want to work as a bricklayer.
DaveyLC

8th Jun 12 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
You seemed to imply that a degree will take you to better places though?

I think self belief and common sense are more important than any qualification.

True enough at interview, but when reading a CV I still think paper certs score more points when crossing sideways in an industry.

Experience wins in like-for-like roles.
Degrees win for variations across roles.

I'm sure thats true in some cases.. However I personally wouldnt want to work for the kind of closeminded backwards manager who would dismiss a CV based on qualifications over real experience.
DaveyLC

8th Jun 12 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
yes, but You'll never bloody get that first job without some form of qualification!

So its round and round in circles.....

This is very true, but you dont need a degree!

I did a GNVQ in I.T. (which I didnt even finish because I found a job), I think you have to just get your foot in the door then once you've got some experience and good references you are set, you just need to learn to sell yourself in otherways instead of having a list of whats written on the various certificates you've spent years of your life paying for.

Obviously for this to work you need to know your arse from your elbow in the first place
Gavin
Premium Member

8th Jun 12 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did Computer Science with a year out working on an Industrial Placement. I was LUCKY to get a decent placement and built up a shed load of skills in programming

When it came to leaving uni back in '05, I applied to loadsss of Graduate placements but most were taken up by students from Oxford, Cambridge etc

Because I had 1 years of experience, it meant I could apply for junior roles and ended up getting one. Unfortunately I was made redundant after 8 months but I went back into the job market with alot of experience for someone who not long left uni.

I ended up getting a better job and have been with the company ever since (coming up to my 7th year). I've moved on from Programming and became a Team Lead, and more recently moved on and became a Project Manager

I've always said, I'd rather have left college at 18 and tried to find an IT apprenticeship (seems to be alot more of them now), and work my way from the bottom up. I think I'd rather learn the 'trade' and earn 16k for 4 years than go to Uni and leave with little experience and a debt of 10-20k (if I was lucky)

Programming is a good start but personally I wouldnt hang around there. Try and move into management and broaden your skills. Technologies come and go, it seems that more and more technical teams are getting offshored.

All IMO of course

pew pew pew pewwwww

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » which college or university course would be best..... 23 database queries in 0.0190060 seconds