corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Higgs Boson particle found

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Higgs Boson particle found
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Jul 12 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Yes turned out not true, but they made a claim they'd possibly done it, everyone got excited, turned out like that, hence my caution over this.

I think we can be a bit more confident over this one. They say the chances of getting this data set and it not been the higgs particle is 1 in 2,000,000

So if you fancy its wrong steve, might be worth a quid

They've found a new particle regardless and its probably the higgs boson, its a pretty massive discovery.

arent the odds something like that based on them finding something else, eg a new particle, which might not necessarily be the higgs
Cavey

4th Jul 12 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As John said, it doesnt really have any practicle implications, but it proves theorys are it was a previously theoretical parctical.

Nice that they've found it during Science month on Eden, so if you want to know more watch channel 532. Was watching "The big bang machine" yesterday strangely enough, explained about the Higgs field etc...
Cavey

4th Jul 12 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In fairness, they could be making it up completely, no-one is going to argue with them are they.
JonnyJ

4th Jul 12 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
Yes turned out not true, but they made a claim they'd possibly done it, everyone got excited, turned out like that, hence my caution over this.

I think we can be a bit more confident over this one. They say the chances of getting this data set and it not been the higgs particle is 1 in 2,000,000

So if you fancy its wrong steve, might be worth a quid

They've found a new particle regardless and its probably the higgs boson, its a pretty massive discovery.

arent the odds something like that based on them finding something else, eg a new particle, which might not necessarily be the higgs

Thats what i said at the end you bumder.

If its not the higgs and is infact some other new particle then thats even more intriguing.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 12 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv seen so many documentaries and youtube videos on this stuff and it boils down to we dont actually have a clue really, its all just guesswork based on theories.

Noone can really explain our universe, is it infinite, or inside something else weve got so much to learn

[Edited on 04-07-2012 by Steve]
JonnyJ

4th Jul 12 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finding the higgs boson would confirm the theories we have.
mwg

4th Jul 12 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does any money from this country go in to this?
Cavey

4th Jul 12 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, it's funded entirely on the money that Brian Cox made from sales of "Things can only get better " by D:Ream
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 12 at 12:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only people who pay 50% tax like you
Jambo

4th Jul 12 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Iv seen so many documentaries and youtube videos on this stuff and it boils down to we dont actually have a clue really, its all just guesswork based on theories.

Noone can really explain our universe, is it infinite, or inside something else weve got so much to learn

May as well give up m8. No point in tryin tbf innit
Hammer

4th Jul 12 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
quote:
They also announced they think they broke the speed of light once

No they didn't.

They did didn't they? They announced something then admitted they were wrong

There is a difference between announcing they had broken the speed of light and announcing they had results which would intimate they had broken the speed of light knowing full well it was probable that they were false results.
JonnyJ

4th Jul 12 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Nope, it's funded entirely on the money that Brian Cox made from sales of "Things can only get better " by D:Ream

FPMSL
John

4th Jul 12 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Iv seen so many documentaries and youtube videos on this stuff and it boils down to we dont actually have a clue really

We don't have a clue based on youtube footage
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 12 at 12:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im just talking about the official documentarys that end up on there

not some guy videoing himself sat in his pants making laser beams
3CorsaMeal

4th Jul 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
quote:

i sort of agree with Steve, although its hard for our minds to fathom what could come, people in 100yrs time might look back as us in the same way we look back at the people who threw their turds out the windows and wondered why disease spread.

i think the fact no one is here from the future rules out time travel being achieved, although if it did go on i can only imagine the strict rules they have set, so no one here really knows

Unlocking the secret of mass could lead to alot of things, probably just a weapon though knowing mankind

[Edited on 04-07-2012 by 3CorsaMeal]
Nath

4th Jul 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Too much weed Jim.
3CorsaMeal

4th Jul 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am from the future mate, here on a mission to bring a corrado back to the year 2120, taken longer than i thought to get into transportable pieces, but i'm getting there

JonnyJ

4th Jul 12 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
quote:

i sort of agree with Steve, although its hard for our minds to fathom what could come, people in 100yrs time might look back as us in the same way we look back at the people who threw their turds out the windows and wondered why disease spread.

i think the fact no one is here from the future rules out time travel being achieved, although if it did go on i can only imagine the strict rules they have set, so no one here really knows

Unlocking the secret of mass could lead to alot of things, probably just a weapon though knowing mankind

[Edited on 04-07-2012 by 3CorsaMeal]

Time travel into the future is theoretically possible if you can go fast enough.

Time travel into the past runs into paradox troubles.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 12 at 12:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think its physically possible to actually time travel to a time, only 'see' the light back or forwards in time.
JonnyJ

4th Jul 12 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i dont think its physically possible to actually time travel to a time, only 'see' the light back or forwards in time.

It would be a bit different to a time machine but if you made a track that looped the world and the train could travel at 99.99% the speed of light and set it off on a journey time would move much slower on the train than the world outside it. Meaning you could go forward in time a fair number of years and barely age. You wouldnt even think you had been on the train for long. Time Dilation.

Time also moves slower the closer you are to the centre of a massive object.
John

4th Jul 12 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is, happens everyday, just a non perceptible amount.

The closer you get to the speed of light the more time slows down for you compared to a stationary observer.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 12 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think another 30kgs removed from the puma and id be close
JonnyJ

4th Jul 12 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
It is, happens everyday, just a non perceptible amount.

The closer you get to the speed of light the more time slows down for you compared to a stationary observer.

This is what im talking about. Using my train example to the outside world everything inside the train would look like it was happening in slow motion.

I think thats right anyway.
Sunz

4th Jul 12 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with 3CM.

What ever we find we will use it for greed or violence.

They believe there could be around 900 civilisations in the universe, based upon a planet needs to be X distance for a big enough star. (The part of the universe we have found)

Most wonderful thing I learnt a while ago was about dead stars, we still see the image of dead stars due to how long their image takes to get to us due to light years.

But it all makes a good point that we could all be wiped out tomorrow and the universe wouldn't be affected.

JonnyJ

4th Jul 12 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
Most wonderful thing I learnt a while ago was about dead stars, we still see the image of dead stars due to how long their image takes to get to us due to light years.

Thats the most wonderful thing you have learnt? Pretty basic stuff

[Edited on 04-07-2012 by JonnyJ]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Higgs Boson particle found 22 database queries in 0.0111451 seconds