corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Who's made there own roll cages

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Who's made there own roll cages
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Jul 12 at 08:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would you trust a cage welded like this

AK

30th Jul 12 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, but surely that isnt finished
Tom G

30th Jul 12 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at least hes having a bash, instead of slagging off others from there his armchair
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

30th Jul 12 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a cage maker in solihull, Rear cage with diagonal in CDS tubing for 140ish
Steve
Premium Member

30th Jul 12 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom G
at least hes having a bash, instead of slagging off others from there his armchair
I'd say its doing the guy a favour and saving him a load of time and money to just get it done proper. Noones actually slagging him off

It's not a good enough reason to attempt something as having a bash. I wouldnt have a bash at building a house for example, and I'd rather a load of people tell me theres more to it then stacking some bricks and save me a load of time and effort

[Edited on 30-07-2012 by Steve]
gidged500
Premium Member

30th Jul 12 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all the tips guys , as for the picture that was only tacked on (working progress) I know it has to be a continuous weld.
By the sounds of things (mainly safety) it would be better to buy one ready made. Just wondered if attempting to build one was so hard , my friend would have been doing all the welding but sounds like it would be a lot of work.
daine
Premium Member

30th Jul 12 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gidged 500 if you want to build your own cage! it entirely up to you mate, I built mine
for the track car just cos I fancied doing it myself.
No it wasn't easy working out the angles But at the end you can stand back, I did that.
Or buy one like everybody else that's there for show and want to be race driver's
Nath

30th Jul 12 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daine
Or buy one like everybody else that's there for show and want to be race driver's

Ooooft
AK

30th Jul 12 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didnt build or install ours.... but I stand back and think 'that looks safe'

daine
Premium Member

30th Jul 12 at 13:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes I do with mine AK, I'm a pipe fitter and fabricator by trade
kennySRi

30th Jul 12 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daine
Yes I do with mine AK, I'm a pipe fitter and fabricator by trade

Not really worth telling other people to just give it a go then if that's your job
gidged500
Premium Member

30th Jul 12 at 18:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You never know until you try if it's a balls up I could buy one or try again
possy

30th Jul 12 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I built my own cage for my disco. and rolled it a few times still looked ugly as fuck after it rolled over lol
possy

30th Jul 12 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But it never budged tho thats the main points
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Jul 12 at 20:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might look shit, but it can look shit and be strong, same as it can look good but not be actually penetrated properly.

My reasons for not doing it are that the end profiles of most of the later bars are very complicated due to where they land, not just a case of rounding it off how you might expect it to look.

And if you take too much off you can't really put it back on. For the bits I did on Ste's and Mike's, I just started with the longer bits and if I ballsed any up (there were a few) they just became the shorter pieces at the back.

I wouldn't say don't do it, I'd say make sure you can bend the stuff yourself in the right place, even if a pipe has a number of bends it in, then make sure you have a good reamer to shape the ends and a plan if you do cock it up.

And make sure the welds are all sound all the way around, and grind them off and do them again if they're shit, and you'll be OK.

Or, if its likely that you'll end up with a dogs dinner and loads of wastage, but it.
possy

30th Jul 12 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As well make sure you scolop the ends of the bars which go on to a over part of the cage dnt just use a grinder and cut a v in it
gazza808

31st Jul 12 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used a grinder with a flap wheel to shape all my ends.
Root

31st Jul 12 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You say it's not easy but my mate who worked in a back street garage made a good one out of old car exhausts and it looked the part. Not sure how well it'd provide protection in a crash though
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
You say it's not easy but my mate who worked in a back street garage made a good one out of old car exhausts and it looked the part. Not sure how well it'd provide protection in a crash though

It wouldn't. It would more likely hurt you in a bad accident!
John

31st Jul 12 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's talking rubbish anyway.
Balling
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 10:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
...made a good one out of old car exhausts and it looked the part. Not sure how well it'd provide protection in a crash though

Wtf!?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Who's made there own roll cages 23 database queries in 0.0132220 seconds