corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Do you believe in God?

Poll: Do you believe in God?
Yes 9 (9%)
No 82 (82%)
Other (please state) 9 (9%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Do you believe in God?
John

User status: Offline
28th Oct 12 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Stephen Hawkings believes in God; apparently a higher entity is the only way he can explain immediately before the Big Bang

He doesn't believe in God, he's actually said specifically that the universe can be completely created without on.
Ben G

28th Oct 12 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sly_SRi
Well i can probably categorise my personal experiences into 3 parts: Encounters with God myself, answered prayers, and prophecies.

So..

Encounters with God myself - i've only had a few of these, the first being a year after I had made the decision to follow God and it's hard to describe really..without writing an essay! But I basically received the Holy Spirit which was a physical experience that I could not explain (and believe me I tried) which I later realised not everyone has. As different people have different experiences.

Answered prayers - literally too many to list. But 1 example: prayed for a guy at my college in the canteen and he got healed from a football injury, in front of all my class mates who then started calling me Jesus. Ha.

And prophecy: this is when people that don't know you somehow know things about you and your future (in the Church we don't call them psychics but Prophets)

As for things i've seen...again too many to list but mainly healing of various kinds.

I realise that it's hard to believe these things because that was me too once upon a time. But one thing you need to realise is that you are shaped by the culture that surrounds you whether you choose to be or not, and this culture is very anti-God which is probably why people in this country are also...but is it possible that the culture is mislead..?

most of that can be explained through drug taking, coincedence or just general things that can happen in life.

nothing to do with god or healing through faith bollocks.

please tell me why my great nan died of cancer even though she was a devoted christian? also why my grandad had a heart attack on christmas day even though they are also believers.

yet i am a non believer and haven't died or been maimed yet infact i've been quite lucky and it's a miracle i haven't been injured or died yet.
John

28th Oct 12 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everything Sly_SRi said is absolute garbage. It worries me that someone in this day and age can even try and make out they've felt anything after 'receiving the holy spirit'.

Funny that it was only after deciding to follow god isn't it, he didn't do anything your whole life before that.

Absolute tripe and shows complete brain washing and lack of intelligence.
Ben G

28th Oct 12 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like you john. you don't beat around the bush.

i expect he will now do a nathy and go mental, flashing his lights at people who don't have christian symbols on their boots.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 11:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how long after the prayer did it take to cure the injury? and what injury was it?
Marc

28th Oct 12 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He will be back in a few days to tell you how he was trolling and you all got suckered in.
BarnshaW

28th Oct 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whilst i am an non-believer myself you cannot really call someone elses beliefs and experiences rubbish.

if you do not believe in god or supernatural things then you will always be someone who trys to explain things with a scientific reason, I myself have had unexplainable experiences, not enough to confirm it was something to do with god or supernatural experiences.

for example ben, your theory is flawed, yes it is sad your grandparents passed however that is part of life? yes you could argue that they were devote christians but who is to say if they were not that they might have died earlier? maybe there was a religious reason for them dying at that particular time.

I am in 2 minds about it, i do agree religion is probably mainly used to help people through life, and the fact there is only meant to be "one god" but yet there are several holy books all with different gods.

However you cannot take away peoples own personal experiences and just tell them they are wrong its garbage
John

28th Oct 12 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are wrong and it is garbage. It's the sort of thing you get at these American bible clubs where they all start shaking and fall over.

It's a mixture of people who are easily led/fooled and those who want to act like they are.

This is separate to people just believing in God btw. If you get some comfort out of the faith and it helps get you through the day then fair enough, I certainly can't say anything against that.

Thinking that prayer will cure cancer however is just dangerous.
JonnyJ

28th Oct 12 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

God is real as Fabrice Muamba was going to die but then everyone wrote #prayformuamba on Twitter and then he lived.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 13:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

twitter is god?
John

28th Oct 12 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jobs didn't do too well out of the whole spiritual thing.
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's okay, i wasn't really expecting people to just accept my experiences without questioning them. It's part of being human and it's good to question. To answer a couple of the questions (even if they weren't genuine enquiries) I can be sure that I wasn't on drugs at the time, and with regards to my friends knee injury, he said that he had been told by his doctor he would not be able to play the rest of the season for his football club but immediately after the prayer he was no longer limping and he was very surprised. So that's just a couple of times God has responded to my prayers.

Most people would like the idea of God but bad experiences in their lives lead them to doubt. Which I understand. But as Barnshaw says, someones experience doesn't prove there isn't a God...just as my experiences may not prove to you that there is one..

I think it's important to realise that we all have limited understanding and therefore you must realise it is possible that there are things that could be true that are outside of your understanding. I also have to accept this and that's why I have no problems with criticism because what's the point of faith unless its real and can be tested? I don't want to waste my time following something that isn't true!

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
johnhara1

28th Oct 12 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't believe in god, heaven or hell but i'd like to think there is some sort of existence after death.

Ben G

28th Oct 12 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can someone who believes in god please tell me why he lets innocent children die?

surely if god was a good person, as he is portrayed, then he wouldn't let this kind of stuff happen?

this is where science explains things better than believing in something that can't be proven.
BarnshaW

28th Oct 12 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who is to say god monitors or checks these things? god is supposedly the creator

i still do not understand how science explains that either? explain to me how science explains evilness and murdering?

its very well saying something cant be proven (as in religion) however you cannot prove it is all scientific either so your theory is just as ridiculous as anyone elses.
John

28th Oct 12 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sly_SRi
I think it's important to realise that we all have limited understanding and therefore you must realise it is possible that there are things that could be true that are outside of your understanding

This is a standard comment from someone who has limited understanding of science and how the world works and is using 'God' to fill that hole.

Anything you come across in your day to day existence can be completely explained by science, because you don't get that science doesn't mean God is doing it.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 14:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some surprisingly unintelligent comments in here. With the even more unintelligent "you can't prove it therefore" arguments.
Sam
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think my upbringing has been a bit bizarre in a religious sense... My dad is muslim and mum is catholic (which was hilarious for their families when they got together I'm sure as they are both from the middle east and such relationships and marriages were for the most part unheard of and taboo), but once I got to an age where I was able to rationalise and question things, I have decided to not follow any particular religion.

Why?

Well I'll give you a brief summary...

1. I think that we cannot explain everything in life, the world and the universe but the things that CAN be explained scientifically cannot be attributed to some religious event or "miracle".

2. On the subject of miracles - whilst this has strong religious connotations, they can also be interpreted as something that is unlikely to occur but not impossible. I do believe that miracles in this sense DO happen around us all the time, but this is due to people having the faith to push forward and succeed in doing something that may otherwise have been impossible. Some examples:

- leaving a burning building that was collapsing around the person, but said person being not only alive but completely unscathed
- coming out of a coma and making a complete recovery when doctors have said there was no hope
- even using my parent's example, they grew up in a time where people can be persecuted for being involved in such relationships but they still did it anyway because they wanted to be together despite everyone else being against it

etc. etc.

So I don't think such things are down to divine intervention, but more down to an individual's willpower and hunger for success.

Whilst I and it seems a lot of people on here have no issue with a person's religious following, I do find issue with certain religious groups trying to enforce their will and way of doing things on to people and it fucks me off when they spout stuff off at you trying to make you look like an idiot and giving in to what they say, because a lot of vulnerable people out there are pretty much forced into following such things.

BTW - there is a slight irony in all of what I say, because my name is Hebrew for "name of God"
mattant

28th Oct 12 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Edited on 28-10-2012 by mattant]
Eck
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 14:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If god existed I wouldn't be able to bite the inside of my mouth occasionally.
LeeM

28th Oct 12 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

religion is an outdated explanation for the world around us, weve since been able to explain everything with science.
religious people are right up there with any of the nutjob cults, theres just more "religious" people than nutjobs.
fuckin scientology makes more sense than any of the mainstream religions
neil h

28th Oct 12 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Jobs didn't do too well out of the whole spiritual thing.

That had sod all to do with God I'd reccomended having a lil look into Zen Buddhism

Tbh a lot of the people saying religious folk have a poor understanding of science seem to have a pretty crap understanding of religion.
Lawrah
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 16:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am not religious in anyway. I wont grudge someone a belief they have though.

I dont agree with religion being thrown in your face, American's are awful for that.

I do think a lot of people who are religious just look for a guide in life, there is no harm in that.
Budgie

28th Oct 12 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

God - No
Flying Spaghetti Monster - Yes

Christianity is one of the youngest religions out there excluding cults like scientology.
Think it's possible that there is a higher being but dont think its god in the clouds.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Do you believe in God? 25 database queries in 0.0104902 seconds