corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The price of diesel

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The price of diesel
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Feb 13 at 23:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
No...

Sound shit
Drive shit
Stink
Expensive

i have a diesel laguna and a diesel bmw estate e91 and i love the fuel consumption and power of them, averaging 49 mpg in both and not having to drive watching the revs.

also the bmw is the quietest car i have owned

[Edited on 13-02-2013 by Stoneyginger]
smcGSI16V

13th Feb 13 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No...

Sound shit
Drive shit
Stink
Expensive

No
No
No
No

[Edited on 13-02-2013 by smcGSI16V]
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

14th Feb 13 at 05:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
quote:
No...

Sound shit
Drive shit
Stink
Expensive

No
No
No
No

pretty sure i watched a fifth gear where they tested the VXR against the 888 you have and they were evenly matched mon the diesel
sc0ott

14th Feb 13 at 06:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John d owned a diesel so youre all wrong.
taylorboosh

14th Feb 13 at 06:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No he didnt
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

14th Feb 13 at 07:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No I didnt

Finally

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
taylorboosh

14th Feb 13 at 07:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flogged that horse so long now its not fit to be a beef burger mate
smcGSI16V

14th Feb 13 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stoneyginger
quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
quote:
No...

Sound shit
Drive shit
Stink
Expensive

No
No
No
No

pretty sure i watched a fifth gear where they tested the VXR against the 888 you have and they were evenly matched mon the diesel

Yep. Vbh and Paul o'neil (iirc, touring car driver) at llandow. He also preferred the 888.
Robin
Premium Member

14th Feb 13 at 08:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 320d used to average 48mpg, even on short journeys and that was with a remap and 200bhp from 163 standard

The equivalent petrol 3 series (2.0 petrol with 170bhp) does, supposedly, 38mpg.

Diesels does 13.4p/mile, Petrol is 17.2p/mile.

Not a huge saving but that means 12,000 miles costs you £450 less in the diesel, which has more power and is cheaper to insure.

3 years at 12000 miles saves you £1350, which is probably about what they cost over the petrol model.

The 320d 163 isn't the most efficient diesel out there either, if anything it's one of the worst at the time.

Bear in mind that most diesels will do more than 49mpg now but petrol hasn't improved as dramatically....
John

14th Feb 13 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never believe 'average' internet figures unless you were doing nothing but driving up and down the motorway, in which case fair enough.

A lot of lying/computers which are miles out/resetting the counter while doing 60mph on a flat motorway going on.
Robin
Premium Member

14th Feb 13 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was worked out when I was doing 110miles per day and I struggled to get the quoted average!
John

14th Feb 13 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loads of vag 1.9pd oweners getting 70mpg, which is probably about double what they're really getting.
mwg

14th Feb 13 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
My two pence is a lot of people forget two factors. First is the claimed mpg factors from manafacturers are performed in ridiculous non real world scenarios (bit like mobile batteries) so the quoted mpg is vastly exaggerated (Not always the case but more common than not)

The petrol cars are put through the same tests as the diesels so their quoted MPG will be vastly exaggerated too.
mwg

14th Feb 13 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
No...

Sound shit
Drive shit
Stink
Expensive

Last diesel you drove was an 80's Land Rover by the sound of it.
Robin
Premium Member

14th Feb 13 at 08:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quoted mpg is done on a rolling road in a test cell with no wind, controlled (optimum) temperature, brand new car, controlled by computer.... You're never doing that in the real world.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

14th Feb 13 at 09:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on if your buying new and how many miles a year you will clock up.

For the extra cost in diesel, over xx,xxx miles and the premium of buying a diesel will it be worth it over 2 or 3 years.

It's getting to the point again if not doing 30k a year then no.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
baza31

14th Feb 13 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just run it on red diesel and be done with it
richc

14th Feb 13 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
just run it on red diesel and be done with it

Cant get it. Need to be Vat registered for people to drop it off 'legitimately'?

Heard of people making up fake VAT to get it dropped to their houses?

Ben J

14th Feb 13 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No...

Sound shit
Drive shit
Stink
Expensive

I disagree

My vRS drives great and sounds okay for a derv. It doesn't smell, and with my mileage its cheaper than a petrol.

I average about 48mpg but thats a mix of motorway and A roads. On a long motorway trip i've seen 61mpg

[Edited on 14-02-2013 by Ben J]

[Edited on 14-02-2013 by Ben J]
Simon_16v

14th Feb 13 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Leon is meant to average 57mpg, going from Selby to Sheffiely, 30% A roads and 70% motorway it just touched 50mpg at Sheffield.

I put one of those tuning boxes on it for a few months and it was reporting 65mpg
A2H GO

14th Feb 13 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only do 7-8k miles a year in our 118D but I'd be very hard pushed to go back to petrol ever again.

Feels much nicer than the petrol equivilent in real world driving, power when you need it, plenty of torque for slip roads, pulling out of junctions etc.

I find with diesels you can drive them how you like and they don't use loads more fuel as opposed to putting your foot down in a petrol.

Cheaper insurance than the petrol equivilent and less than half the tax.

Cost more to buy but get more when you sell so thats a non issue.
Robin
Premium Member

14th Feb 13 at 10:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those tuning boxes fool the ecu into thinking the injectors are firing less times so the ecu counter acts it by increasing the injector pulse rate, the trip computer works the mpg out from injector rate and distance travelled so if it thinks its firing the injectors less, the mpg goes up.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

14th Feb 13 at 10:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so what is the conclusion of this thread
3CorsaMeal

14th Feb 13 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People feel the need to state their mpg whenever diesel is questioned, people become a bit defensive about it. I think deep down they aren't enjoying driving and justify it by driving further on less fuel and tbh most people do small commutes to work anyway. Not driving around half the country selling soap door to door.

Summary:

Diesel is for selling soap
Petrol is for driving 20miles to work like a superhero
Neo

14th Feb 13 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diesel is still worth it if driving long distances. I do about 500 miles a week and over the last few months have averaged (e.g. make note when I fill up on mileage etc) between 54 and 58.

I bought the car new and its still valued about 4k, so 10k depreciation for 105,000 miles.

I've done the comparison against the petrol equivalent including current sale price etc, and for matched miles I've saved over £2,200 in the 4 years i've owned it. (And thats using book figure mpg for the petrol and my recorded mpg)

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The price of diesel 23 database queries in 0.0173819 seconds