corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Digital torque wrenches?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Digital torque wrenches?
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Jan 14 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put a tiny blob of tip ex on the head if the bolt at 12. Then turn to the desired angle. That's all I do. Save spending on a digital

Do it when I build engines and everything
Dan
Premium Member

11th Jan 14 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive done this everyday for 11 years, tipex on the head of the bolt method is absolute crap.

What happens when you have rebuilt a £100k+ engine, and it fails. You check build logs, and investigate, and find tipex method has been used to torque the most vital parts of the engine? Shell would love that...

Its got to be done and be proven via documentation/record of equipment used.

The techangles are perfect for what we need from what I can see. Will save hundreds of hours a year in labour.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
csweatherston

11th Jan 14 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would estimate i use it twice a week on average.
Same as this:

However the bar has been modified now to include a flexi crocodile clip
Dan
Premium Member

11th Jan 14 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, same one I have. Shit unless u are lucky and have a decent place to jam the rod hard against, otherwise they wobble about and stuff.

Ive seen the clip technique, but again, its not really gonna cut it with these huge companies we have to deal with.

Its getting more and more ridiculous how tight the documentation has to be, its nearly irrelevant that u have actually built an engine

mooney

12th Jan 14 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Manual torque wrenches aren’t that accurate, they are calibrated with a greater tolerance than a digital one, ideally the manual ones should be calibrated once a week to ensure accuracy because they are adjustable if they are accidently dropped that can have an effect on the accuracy.

We use crane digital iq2 torque wrench in work (http://www.crane-electronics.com/product/iqwrench2-opta/) and we have got a crane transducer to calibrate our dc tools, we use this because all results can be stored and used for reference
Dan
Premium Member

12th Jan 14 at 06:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They would be nice.

Any idea on cost?

craig8
Premium Member

12th Jan 14 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was going to suggest something similar to mooney, unsure of the brand but I have seen torque wrenches that transmit via wifi to a log on the computer, sounds like the kind of thing that would be ideal in your situation. In heavy plant we tend to just use manual angle gauges but engine rebuilds aren't an every day thing, the factory uses those digital logging ones

E36 328
Dan
Premium Member

12th Jan 14 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea logging may be an option. Dependant on cost. As we have a witness log so already have proof of torquing everything.

30 head bolts at 60nm, then 60, 60, 60, 30 degrees. With a manual gauge I would say it takes 3 mins per bolt to set up each step and do the angle. Your looking at nearly 90 mins per step. So 360 mins to do the tightening.

I'd say 3mins per one is probably less than it takes. Due to constantly having to adjust the length of the holding bar. As the heads are 10 individual with things in the way on some of them

That would be reduced massively.

SVM 286

12th Jan 14 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Anyone have any experience with them?

What make/model, opinions on it?

Looking to buy one, but not sure wether to go snap on, or settle for a cheaper model.

I've got a Tamp-on one Dan. Don't buy one.

Just get their decent 'click-click' equivalent.

It'll look lovely. You'll have it for life. It'll work every time you need it. And it'll be nearly half the price.

Wish i'd never bought mine. I should have bought the equivalent 1/2'' mechanical one and spent the balance on beer or petrol.
SVM 286

12th Jan 14 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just read the rest of the thread. Didn't realise you weren't going to be using it on cars etc in a normal garage.

Sounds like with the type of application you have, it could be the lesser of two evils. Especially with a built-in electronic angle capability too (something I wasn't previously aware of).

Mine is overkill for normal garage use. It was far too bloody expensive and the batteries are dead flat, EVERY time I go to use it. Poxy thing. I hate it.
Dan
Premium Member

12th Jan 14 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wanna sell it

csweatherston

12th Jan 14 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to add.... The end caps which hold the batterys in are terrible too.
If you hold it too far toward the end the batteries lose contact.
SVM 286

12th Jan 14 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Wanna sell it

Yeah, three hundred and fifty quid!!!
Dan
Premium Member

12th Jan 14 at 18:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ha,

A new one is 360

SVM 286

13th Jan 14 at 01:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know.

Mine is as new.

Plus a tenner off.

Bargain
SVM 286

13th Jan 14 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think i've successfully managed to use it once in all the time i've had it.

It's spent more time being calibrated than it has being used. (no joke or exaggeration)

It's normally quicker and easier to borrow a clicky one than source three new 'AA' batteries, on the odd occasion that I need a torque wrench.

Total waste of money

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Digital torque wrenches? 23 database queries in 0.0134001 seconds