corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Star silver 1.4 8v automatic - Project over, getting weighed in.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Star silver 1.4 8v automatic - Project over, getting weighed in.
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Apr 13 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You do know you have to it your foot on the brake to get it out of park right?
WukaChop

29th Apr 13 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do
Found out the cause of that was because the switch that's on the bottom of the stick was jammed, I just moved the stick from side to side a bit and it unjammed.

Also Nic, can I point out the auto box isn't brilliant, it can't exactly make up its mind on hills, but I suppose most auto boxes are like that. The power is there when I need it though so I can't ask for much more from it!
pow
Premium Member

29th Apr 13 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to learn to drive an auto box properly, not a dig just saying. They aren't just stick in drive and forget, especially the smaller engined ones
WukaChop

29th Apr 13 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I know, I was picking up tips from the handbook about using the gears when going down a hill so I can have a little bit of engine braking, I'll learn it eventually. I've got to admit it's a tough habit to get out of, the first few times I drove it I kept going to change and looking for a clutch, I seem to be getting a bit better with it now though, not quite got the hang of the kickdown yet though
pow
Premium Member

29th Apr 13 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lock it into 3rd or even 2nd goings up or down hill or if you driving more spiritedly on a country lane, slamming your fit on the floor will just confused the box, progressively put your foot down and it'll drop the gears better. It's actually fairly rewarding driving an auto box properly, I find mums SLK box love a bit of 3rd gear action down the lanes
WukaChop

29th Apr 13 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will have to give this a try, I've noticed if I put my foot down exiting islands I get a nice note from the exhaust as it kicks down, thanks for the tips though, when I've sorted the overheating and got some more insurance on it, I'll give it a go
WukaChop

30th Apr 13 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dash LEDs are in! This only took me all day.
I'm yet to see a Corsa with green ones actually.

The left one for the dials does work, it just hasn't come out in that photo.
WukaChop

2nd May 13 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grille is done!

Looks pretty decent I think, strut brace next.

EDIT:

That mark you all see on the passenger door by my friend's head is a rust hole, any ideas on how to remove or is it just worth getting a new door?

[Edited on 02-05-2013 by WukaChop]

[Edited on 02-05-2013 by WukaChop]
pow
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 09:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Friend eh?
WukaChop

3rd May 13 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ex girlfriend then
WukaChop

5th May 13 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been thinking about making this car a sleeper with slight mods, but am going to keep the LS badges on it so I can shock chavs at the lights.
Few issues though, first off I'm not sure an X14SZ (If that is the engine it has, it's a 1.4 SOHC) is all that powerful to begin with, and I don't know how much the gearbox can take, as I lack the funds and know-how to change the engine and box
I'm open to suggestions though as to what I can do with the engine for more power.
ArdenblueDan

6th May 13 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't you save up a little bit for a new engine and gearbox from a scrappy 150 should get you and engine and box buddy
WukaChop

6th May 13 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'd take a long time, I'd need to know how to do it too though because I'm not exactly capable of doing so yet... I suppose jumping in at the deep end is the way forwards though
Another thought is I'd have to fit a clutch pedal, I'm hoping there's still a gap and that I'm not cutting holes in my car

[Edited on 06-05-2013 by WukaChop]
ArdenblueDan

7th May 13 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's I x14xe for sale for 50 quid in classified take a look bud
Jon_C
Premium Member

7th May 13 at 14:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Converting an auto to manual is silly. Just buy a manual car. 1.4 is never gonna be quick anyway.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

7th May 13 at 14:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the thread title like that because it causes the drivers to fall asleep?
kylesri

7th May 13 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
is the thread title like that because it causes the drivers to fall asleep?

WukaChop

7th May 13 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@ArdenblueDan, will have to take a look, not got the privvies yet sadly, 2 more days!

@Jon_C I wouldn't have actually had it at all if it was the same price as a manual Corsa, only thing for it really was the price because I need a car for work

@VrsTurbo Yes

On a serious note it is quite easy to drive though, nice at times, but other times I find myself wishing I could drive it with a bit more... Spirit

[Edited on 07-05-2013 by WukaChop]
WukaChop

19th May 13 at 01:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update - Had a really bad day with the car today, first of all my key snapped in my filler cap, then I broke something on the way home from work...
Was doing 85ish, and there was a clunking noise and then the car started whining, does it all the time when accelerating now, no loss of power, no oil or water loss either. So a bearing of some description? Serves me right for ragging a car with a fucked thermostat really...
Then to top it all off, my garage has this little rope handle thing, and when I was putting the car in the aerial caught it and snapped

On the upside, I've got a few parts on the way, and a leather interior is on the cards as soon as I have the money.

[Edited on 19-05-2013 by WukaChop]
WukaChop

20th May 13 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say it's project over for this car.
Head gasket, power steering pump, tracking and water pump all need doing, I just don't have the money or skill to do all that, so I'm going to have to scrap it...

I'll be back with a new project in mid June hopefully, thanks to anyone who actually took any interest in this though.

[Edited on 20-05-2013 by WukaChop]
Nic Barnes

20th May 13 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gutted but hopefully have more luck with the next one!
AlexW

20th May 13 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Break the decent parts off it, help you make a few more quid off it.
WukaChop

20th May 13 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad's told me to sleep on it first, as I've just been informed someone will do the head gasket for me for £150, I can do without power steering, (As it isn't electronic, no warning light), water pump can be put on with the new head, as for the tracking, I'll see if I can get it sorted before I get the gasket done.

@AlexW I really wish I could break it, but I've got nowhere to store it while it was getting broken.
Generation

21st May 13 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll need a new rack if its a power steering rack, it won't be like driving a manual. Be much much heavier
WukaChop

21st May 13 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had to get rid now, apparently it's been overheating like that for about 6 months. So the head will need skimming and that's a garage job, can't afford it. Scrap man will be picking it up next week, it's just way beyond my budget to be able to fix it sadly. I suppose at least this way I've got a little bit of a boost towards a new car, I'll claim the tax back that's left on the disc since it has until January 31st.
I'm 19 next Tuesday anyway so I may see what sort of money I get then and see if I can pick up another Corsa then.
But yeah, final decision, project over, car scrapped. Thanks all for reading

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Star silver 1.4 8v automatic - Project over, getting weighed in. 23 database queries in 0.0114422 seconds