corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Shell V-Power Nitro+...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Shell V-Power Nitro+...
BarnshaW

User status: Offline
19th Apr 13 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jon_C
Does higher octane fuel make any noticeable difference ?

yes certainly on higher BHP cars and high powered turbo cars.
Jon_C
Premium Member

19th Apr 13 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not much point in my remapped 1.8t then?
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Apr 13 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's pretty aggressively argued either way on pretty much every car forum I've been on except the Scooby and Evo ones, where it's 99.9% in favour of "posh petrol" as my Missus calls it because your engine will blow up and fall out if you use 95ron

I think the one thing everyone agrees on is that you can't just splash it in every 10 fillups as a "treat". The ECU needs to adapt to it etc, so it needs to be run exclusively for some time for any difference in power or economy to be noticeable.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jay

19th Apr 13 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did anyone see the test on fifth gear with a Golf GTi, it did change the bhp but nothin amazin.
Jambo

19th Apr 13 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not so much about bhp it's about DET on turbo engines
John

19th Apr 13 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its not mapped for it its a waste of time.
nibnob21
Premium Member

19th Apr 13 at 23:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jon_C
Not much point in my remapped 1.8t then?

The octane number is a measure of the fuel's ability to resist uncontrolled combustion. So for high performance engines a higher octane number fuel will be generally beneficial as it will provide a higher resistance to uncontrolled combustion at higher compression.

Just refer to your owner's manual and it will say which fuel is best for your engine and stick to that. How much that changes with a remap I'm not sure. But people with a standard Corsa that occasionally pay the extra for the 'premium' fuel are just wasting money as it will produce no extra power.

MX5 Project Thread
SXI - Matt

19th Apr 13 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started using the Tesco 99 when I had my mini s, mainly as I worked for Tesco when they first released it and would fill up after work any way, never noticed a noticeable difference apart from after about a tank full has passed through my exhaust popped and banged noticeable more and louder with it. Stopped using it after a while and it's stopped doing it so much and was quiter that's about all I noticed.

[Edited on 19-04-2013 by SXI - Matt]
Mattb

20th Apr 13 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
If its not mapped for it its a waste of time.

Not really, most modern engines constantly monitor running conditions including knock and will adapt to suit the fuel being used

To add to the mix, if you look in the manual for most modern petrol direct injection cars they normally state to run a fuel with a min of 98RON
Steve
Premium Member

20th Apr 13 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Not so much about bhp it's about DET on turbo engines

This

Just bunging it in your average car, or even sportier models, Will not see you a noticeable difference. 10bhp on a rolling road isn't a noticeable difference either.

It does have its used though as jambo pointed out in cars running advanced timing it's safer to use a high ron fuel, especially in warm weather
Jambo

20th Apr 13 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine runs better on higher Ron fuel. Not in a "faster" way, it's just a lot smoother and seems to be more efficient.
SXI - Matt

20th Apr 13 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a lot of negative feedback around the Tesco 99 ron I thought it didn't last as long despite them saying you got more miles from it
Robin
Premium Member

20th Apr 13 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends where the car is from too, my Eunos Roadster wasn't what you'd call a performance car but if you ran it on 95RON, it was noticably slower as it was a Jap import, they use 100RON fuel over there so it struggled with anything less than 98RON.

Any modern car with a knock sensor will adjust the timing to suit the fuel. The better the fuel, the more power it will make (whether you notice it or not is a different matter)
chrex

20th Apr 13 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Vpower is engineered to provide way more than just more 'bang' though. It helps with the cooling and lubrication of the engine - as well as cleaning injectors and reducing carbon build up.

I've always run vpower in my cars and i found that my E30 i previously owned began to start up alot better as the first few months of owning it passed...and tbh, when i fill up with £40 worth, it costs me an extra £3 or so on average...which doesnt bother me to be honest as i know its looking after things.

The DC5 is mapped to run on higher octane fuel in Japan too - so thats why i now HAVE to run VPower anyway.

[Edited on 20-04-2013 by chrex]
CORSA NUT

20th Apr 13 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My VRS must have been mapped for BP Ultimate because the 3 times I've put V Power in it's run shite! Flat spots and misfires etc.

Smooth as with the BP.

Like said modern cars will detect the difference. Used to deal with the guys at Shell who do this for a living and they told me it works on about 80% of engines. They used to buy specific cars from the dealership and use them as a test bed. Fucking ace job
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

20th Apr 13 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just fire some VP Race fuel in!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
j10E W

21st Apr 13 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I filled up my car with it yest, no differance from the old vpower
Edges 58

22nd Apr 13 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 182 i mapped to 98 octane or higher.. Put 95 in once as was empty and no momentum at the tesco. Noticeable flat spots, misfires and dropped a few mpg's
Jambo

22nd Apr 13 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by j10E W
I filled up my car with it yest, no differance from the old vpower
Jed D

23rd Apr 13 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv just bought a can full cos my local stations stopped the regular v.power... see how it goes
mwg

23rd Apr 13 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm expecting my car to do a wheelie when I fill up with it after work
Nic Barnes

23rd Apr 13 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Re-branded for performance Renault owners that do track days on industrial estates.
Jed D

23rd Apr 13 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

K2 GTi

23rd Apr 13 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate had his LCR 225 rolling roaded with this fuel.

Made 228BHP (has decat and few engine mods, so this fuel didnt do anyhting for his performance)
Dave

23rd Apr 13 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So he did another run with 95ron to compare then?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Shell V-Power Nitro+... 23 database queries in 0.0115349 seconds