corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Impact Driver/Wrench

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Impact Driver/Wrench
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th May 13 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think i will too. Anyone got a recommendation on impact sockets. Ive only got a few but would love some deep ones and would need to have most sizes from 10mm to 20mm.
Steve
Premium Member

8th May 13 at 12:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the clarke comes with a range of popular sizes.

obviously dont get the chrome vanadium ones
Toby
Premium Member

8th May 13 at 15:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im looking for something like This, but in 1/2" drive. Especially the 18mm as i do so much work on suspension and its always the size needed for the topmount.

Sort of money i would be happy to pay for reasonable quality stuff.

[Edited on 08-05-2013 by Toby]
SVM 286

8th May 13 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I'd rather buy the £60 one 5 times.

I find you buy something expensive and they require some special looking after or you have to have it serviced for £50 a time.

Bit like watches...

It's not always the case.

I've had my Ingersoll air gun for ten years now and it's never needed a service or a repair (a sodding miracle considering the water that it used to get pumped through it by the poxy compressor at vw).
I just keep it clean and put a drop or three of air motor oil in it when I remember to.

My 18v buzz-gun is a costly Tamp-on item too and it's been as good as gold.

I suppose it can be luck of the draw really, but mine have been remarkably well behaved.
SVM 286

9th May 13 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Toby, i've been using a whole concoction of shallow and deep impact stuff for donkey's years now.

I have a mixture of Snap-On, Facom, Kokon, SP, Sealey, Britool, MAC, Stahlwille, Momento, Teng, Gedore, Hazet, Wurth and Lazer.

I've never broken one. So as far as I can tell, it doesn't really matter who you buy from.
possy

9th May 13 at 05:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my snap on gun was 400 plus the vat but the thing is i no it will undo and last for many years to come and when i were off roading i was allways changing diffs and it made its money back then

[Edited on 09-05-2013 by possy]
SVM 286

9th May 13 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody hell that's dear Possy! Is that the slide-on battery type, or the clip-on one?
possy

10th May 13 at 05:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
Bloody hell that's dear Possy! Is that the slide-on battery type, or the clip-on one?

slide on but i got it when they first came out and it werent on offer on the van so bit [pissed of really but it gets used in anger and i have had it nearly 18 month and its so much better thinking bout upgrading to the new one though its better still tells you how much battery is left and has a built in touch and has 700ft of torque behined it for undoing and i am on halfords impact sockets and some i use daily are snap on only due to cracking on the side thats only reasone
Toby
Premium Member

10th May 13 at 05:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I ordered the Clarke one in the end as its only for occasional use and the figures seem to hold their own probably as its not portable but other than at track I can't see much use for it away from home. If I get on with it as end up using it a lot I may away towards a second hand more expensive unit.
SVM 286

11th May 13 at 06:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by possy
quote:

slide on but i got it when they first came out and it werent on offer on the van so bit [pissed of really but it gets used in anger and i have had it nearly 18 month and its so much better thinking bout upgrading to the new one though its better still tells you how much battery is left and has a built in touch and has 700ft of torque behined it for undoing and i am on halfords impact sockets and some i use daily are snap on only due to cracking on the side thats only reasone

Ah ha. I've got the model before yours (clip-on battery). The Tamp-on man did it for 350, cash. I went mad and bought it, because at the time nothing else like it existed and it was a revelation for someone with no air at home. I've had it for eight years now.
ShEp

11th May 13 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a snap-on one at work and a sealey one at home

The snap-on one has more torque than the air powered gun I have, If the air gun doesnt remove something ill use the battery gun
ShEp

11th May 13 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Ask about the lithion battery conversion, it makes a hell of a difference with the newer guns.
Sean

11th May 13 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I got a new snap in one and its out off this world defo worth the money

I got mine from snap on to, the thing is an animal! Alot stronger than my air gun was! Paid £300 inc vat for mine it was a recon gun though the latest from snap on is £625+ vat
SVM 286

11th May 13 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's f*cking obscene. You could practically buy a roll cab for that!

Edit: edited for spelling AND punctuation.

[Edited on 11-05-2013 by SVM 286]
Graham88

11th May 13 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a 2nd hand Snap on battery gun for £100, best thing I've ever bought,dunno how I survived before!

Feel like a Formula 1 pit team when changing wheels now
SVM 286

11th May 13 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are brilliant aren't they Graham. So much quicker and less labour intensive.
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm scared of doing my wheels with mine, it seems a bit overkill for them when torqued on properly...

They're also excellent for undoing bolts on a spinning thread... like a ball joint for example. The "shock" of the impact is often enough to break the nut free of the rotation of the shaft... if that makes sense.

Mine was invaluable when dismantling my shock absorbers for that reason - a breaker bar and the slow consistent pressure would just spin the shock around inside the assembly.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

11th May 13 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I'm using a gun on wheel bolts I just do it until it nips it up, found that's as close to 110nm to be good enough for me.
SVM 286

11th May 13 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like my wheel nuts tight. Always have done.
Always done them sensibly tight, whether with a bar, an air gun, or a buzz gun.
Never had any problems of any kind either.

I used to torque up the Porsche stuff because they had magnesium wheel nuts, so required a soft socket and very low setting.

Everything else gets done up properly though.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 13:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use one of these
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=power&Group_ID=683065&store=snapon-store

And and a old one of these
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=power&item_ID=648801&group_ID=682977&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

That first one has never ever failed at removeing a bolt/nut. It's silly powered
SVM 286

11th May 13 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That top one's good. My Ingersoll makes 1000 lbs (undoing) and was the most powerful 1/2 inch gun on the market when I bought it. It undoes everything.

So that fucker must really do some shifting.
Steve
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used my Clarke today
tom130691
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 23:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Not sure you'll start a flywheel bolt with one of them.

only time id ever use one
3CorsaMeal

15th May 13 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ended up with a sealey battery one. Spent 3x as much as I planned but love it already. 441nm of torque.

Just done clutch slave cylinder and the gearbox linkage with it.

Going to buy a socket set for it now.
John

15th May 13 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happened to 'would rather but the cheap one X times'?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Impact Driver/Wrench 23 database queries in 0.0129809 seconds