corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I cleaned a car, let's fight about it!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I cleaned a car, let's fight about it!
mike56gte

User status: Offline
27th May 13 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
Does a car with more shine get better mpg?

of coarse, the shiney surface cuts through the air better. less resistance = more mpg.
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th May 13 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also polish the underside of my spoiler and put roofing felt on the top to create more downforce.

It works for cricket balls

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
FAZ
Premium Member

27th May 13 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mike56gte
quote:

of coarse, the shiney surface cuts through the air better. less resistance = more mpg.

or would a dirty car create air pockets which reduce friction

i.e., a golf ball type affair
big eck

27th May 13 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I preferred the rear badges too tbh. I'll see if this look is a grower.

I spray the endurance spray onto a foam applicator then rub it on, doesn't mess the wheels up that way.

I've got 5l of Bilberry and tbh I never use it! I wash and protect my wheels so often, they just require a light swab with my wheel woolies and some shampoo.

I think its the fact I have white wheels and after as little as an few hours usage they're covered in brake dust again. The wheels themselves clean up well as they have protection on them its just that I want something I can spray on and rinse off for quickness instead of fully soaping them up and having to washed them down using a mitt/sponge. I think a quick spray followed with a wheel brush of some kind then rinse is what I'm after.
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th May 13 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they're nicely protected (poorboys or similar) then you should get away with foam, rinse then a wipedown with a spare mitt/wheel wooly or something like that.

Bilberry will be better for a "no touch" approach but it'll eat through any protection you've got on so kinda false economy in that regard.

If you keep on top of it, brake dust should never be hard to remove and also some pads are worse than others! Those Lorraine Kelly ones are supposed to be dusty as hell.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
big eck

27th May 13 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It just has the standard pads. I'll look at changing them once they need replaced for something that gives off less dust.

Looks like I'll just need to clean them all the time The joys.
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th May 13 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's therapeutic

Here's something that'll cheer 3CM up... every time I drive I need to wipe traces of copper grease from the inside of my front wheels...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Brett
Premium Member

27th May 13 at 17:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for link, Kyle
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th May 13 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No worries, it's not as scary as a few people make out - but I've not had to attack any "major" correction yet.

Did my interior today, used my all-in-one wonder product (aerospace protectant 303) on the interior plastics (I also used this stuff yesterday on the exterior black bits, window seals, etc).

It goes on glossy but once dried it's got a nice matte look to it, perfect.

Shampoo'd and vac'd the mats and then vac'd the seats, doing my best football pitch lawn mower impression on the rears...

I hate my mats, my car came with three genuines and a fucked driver one. Subaru don't make/sell them anymore for these cars so I'm stuck with third party ones. The pile on these ones looks cheap, and clings to (white) cat hair like a bastard. I need to shop around for some better quality ones.

Gave the engine bay a quick wipe down with more aerospace stuff, nothing too severe in here. Did some autosol on the intercooler surround too.

Before:

After:

Gave the car another quick wipe down with the Werkstatt Glos, just because I wanted to... and another cheeky photo...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Daveskater
Premium Member

27th May 13 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very nice, Kyle I'm not convinced on the 303 protectant, I find it usually looks alright for about 5 minutes, and then looks as though you haven't applied anything. And on exterior surfaces I don't think it lasts very long. Btw, fairy liquid won't do anything for stripping the old wax But as you've machined it, that will get it off anyway.

Big Eck - Bilberry does tend to wear away wheel sealant, but I use it diluted 1:10 on my wheels with Poorboy's Wheel Sealant on, and I don't think it harms it too much. I also find that if you spray it on, brush it, and then rinse off, it just needs a quick wipe over with a normal mf cloth afterwards and you're sorted. As for brushes, I use one of these and one of these (that one is actually all black, not red and green). The combination of both for the fronts and insides does a decent job

[Edited on 27-05-2013 by Daveskater]

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
BluKoo

27th May 13 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o' reely?
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th May 13 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
Very nice, Kyle I'm not convinced on the 303 protectant, I find it usually looks alright for about 5 minutes, and then looks as though you haven't applied anything. And on exterior surfaces I don't think it lasts very long. Btw, fairy liquid won't do anything for stripping the old wax But as you've machined it, that will get it off anyway.

Big Eck - Bilberry does tend to wear away wheel sealant, but I use it diluted 1:10 on my wheels with Poorboy's Wheel Sealant on, and I don't think it harms it too much. I also find that if you spray it on, brush it, and then rinse off, it just needs a quick wipe over with a normal mf cloth afterwards and you're sorted. As for brushes, I use one of these and one of these (that one is actually all black, not red and green). The combination of both for the fronts and insides does a decent job

Its my first time using 303 and the finish is excellent but obviously can't talk for its longevity yet.

I know the claying/polishing will strip wax but I find fairy certainly works for cleaning old pads and stuff of wax so I imagine there's some science to using it on the car too. It also gets underseal out of hair

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th May 13 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo

o' reely?

Don't cross that line BluKoo

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Daveskater
Premium Member

27th May 13 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater

Its my first time using 303 and the finish is excellent but obviously can't talk for its longevity yet.

I know the claying/polishing will strip wax but I find fairy certainly works for cleaning old pads and stuff of wax so I imagine there's some science to using it on the car too. It also gets underseal out of hair
I haven't used it on the interior of my car, but have done on a model car that I keep on my window sill. Applied (admittedly a lot) it at least a year ago now, and it still looks dark and shiny.

Washing up liquid is good for cleaning out pads because it has surfactants and is a degreaser, but it's not a strong enough chemical to break down carnauba. Because it's a degreaser you may take some of the oils etc out of the wax, but you won't strip it entirely.

I really can't decide on a trim dressing that I'm satisfied with yet. I must have tried at least 5 or 6 so far but the perfect one hasn't yet presented itself. There probably isn't one and I'm just setting the bar too high

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
John

27th May 13 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FAZ
quote:
Originally posted by mike56gte
quote:

or would a dirty car create air pockets which reduce friction

i.e., a golf ball type affair

Golf ball does better, mythbusters done it.
big eck

28th May 13 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The cars looking great. It sits so high tho. One of my pet hates about most subarus.
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th May 13 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair comment on the ride height, but you're right it's a "subaru thing". I personally don't think the car suits a lower stance, and from what I can gather mechanically they're not suited for it either.

There are a few Scoobs on ScoobyNET which have gone for the de-spoilered, slammed "euro" look which I guess is an acquired taste!

Something a bit more normal...

If/When I make the move to coilovers, I'll go a tad lower... maybe 5-10mm max though

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

28th May 13 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Copperslip Kyle
Gary
Premium Member

28th May 13 at 15:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sits perfectly imo Leave as it
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th May 13 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Copperslip Kyle

Thought you'd like that.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

28th May 13 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Sits perfectly imo Leave as it

this.

my workmate has tein coilovers on his classic turbo and it sits high but it suits the impreza. they just don't look right when 'slammed'.

that silver one above would be nice if it had the spoiler on, but the blue one is way too low.
BarnshaW

28th May 13 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one of the best things i ever did was higher it when i got it, it was just horrible so low and so stiff, made it uncomfortable, un driveable over any sort of bumps and scrubbed like shit around bends
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th May 13 at 16:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye mine is actually marginally higher with the prodrive springs than it was with the OEM STI ones... at least I think the old ones were OEM...

It's not just an aesthetics thing, these cars just don't seem to like being low down, not without changing other parts of the suspension to match.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

28th May 13 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
one of the best things i ever did was higher it when i got it, it was just horrible so low and so stiff, made it uncomfortable, un driveable over any sort of bumps and scrubbed like shit around bends

you mean raise?
BarnshaW

28th May 13 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get.a.life.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I cleaned a car, let's fight about it! 23 database queries in 0.0158870 seconds