corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » On the spot fines for hogging middle lane

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author On the spot fines for hogging middle lane
Generation

User status: Offline
5th Jun 13 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great news!

RichR
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 09:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Genuine question Robin, how many motorway miles do you do? Are you a regular user?
Dave

5th Jun 13 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would also help traffic to keep wagons in the first lane.
Robin
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Genuine question Robin, how many motorway miles do you do? Are you a regular user?

Now? Not many but I did 2 years of 110 miles a day, 5.5 days a week.
BenC1985

5th Jun 13 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to drive in and out of London from Northampton on the M1 every day for quite a few years and it really bugged me the amount of people who really dont know how to drive correctly. Even a massive lit up sign on the way out of London on the M1 saying "KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING" didnt work. Lol Some people plain and simple think they own the road and can just sit in whatever lane they want regardless if they are holding the whole M1 up. This is good news to my ears.

[Edited on 05-06-2013 by BenC1985]
RichR
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 09:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not practical though unless you look at schemes such as in the A34 where on the steep inclines, trucks are not allowed in lane 2 between 0800 and 2000 but I can't see how you'd enforce it on general motorways and truckers would be up in arms at the idea. You could potentially have overtaking stretches, I.e. no overtaking on the busiest stretches of say the m40 or m6
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 09:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trucks should have a switch that allows them to override the speed limiter for 60 seconds or something, that can only be used a certain amount of times
Robin
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 09:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DRS for trucks
Graeme
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Trucks should have a switch that allows them to override the speed limiter for 60 seconds or something, that can only be used a certain amount of times

That's actually a bloody good idea! Can take them miles some times to overtake.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 09:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
About time they done this for middle lane hogging. Doing in the region of 800 miles a week on the motorway, I get fed up of going lane 1-3-1 to over take or cruising down lane 1 undertaking people.

[Edited on 05-06-2013 by smcGSI16V]

why not just stay in the slow lane and undertake?
RichR
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Undertaking is technically illegal, however, maintains to the flow of the traffic in your lane is fine. The difficulty being what is the flow of traffic in your lane if there's no one in your lane-legally, you're in a better position to move out for the overtake
McWillster

5th Jun 13 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not think they could of found a more recent pic in their archive. Looks like a photo from the early 90's.
Generation

5th Jun 13 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no such thing as a slow and fast lane
ed

5th Jun 13 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let's face it, this isn't going to be enforced. How often do you actually see a police car on the motorway and how often do you see people driving along on their mobile phones?
Edges 58

5th Jun 13 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Middle lane hoggers are a right pet hate of mine!! Doing 80 motorway miles everyday 6 days a week then you get some bellend who is allergic to lane 1 make you over take by crossing all 3 lanes gets really annoying!

The point about what speed people drive.. I drive at 60 everywhere and stay in the inside lane purely because driving to work I can't be arsed using extra fuel to get to work so 60 is fine. I have to overtake lorries and bellends who drive slower than lorries but I speed up when there is traffic about. Nothing wrong with 60mph cruise when driving as you should (keeping left)
Ben G

5th Jun 13 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

finally.

people who don't see a problem with sitting in the middle lane need to re-take their driving test.

the amount of times i see people come onto 3 lane roads and immediately indicate into the middle lane and sit there without traffic in the inside lane is unreal.

i usually just undertake them, but obviously don't make a habit of it as it's not strictly legal.
Neo

5th Jun 13 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
finally.

people who don't see a problem with sitting in the middle lane need to re-take their driving test.

the amount of times i see people come onto 3 lane roads and immediately indicate into the middle lane and sit there without traffic in the inside lane is unreal.

i usually just undertake them

Exactly this !
Robin
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Breaking the law to prove the point to someone who won't even care? Good one
kennySRi

5th Jun 13 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brilliant news! The one thing that annoys me most is people who lane hog. Keep to the left lane when possible, not a hard thing to do. About time they crack down on it!
Ellis

5th Jun 13 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgive my ignorance as we don't have any 3 lane roads up here, but what is the major issue with sitting in the middle lane? There is a lane on the outside to pass these people if they're going too slow. What's the issue if you sit at 70 in the middle lane?
Root

5th Jun 13 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hopefully they will use common sense when giving out the fines and not just try to fine everybody that's in the middle lane for 10 seconds longer than they should be. Instead, fining those that sit in the middle lane from london to manchester.
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 10:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
Forgive my ignorance as we don't have any 3 lane roads up here, but what is the major issue with sitting in the middle lane? There is a lane on the outside to pass these people if they're going too slow. What's the issue if you sit at 70 in the middle lane?

I suggest you spend 10 minutes on any major motorway in the UK and you will soon see the issue.

[Edited on 05-06-2013 by Steve]
Generation

5th Jun 13 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is why it's such a problem. Even enthusiasts don't know, how is Sandra with 3 kids going to have a clue

My mum sits in the outside lane constantly, I'm always moaning at her for it. Got her to move over to inside, block passed her, then went he went back to inside lane. She says "what's point of that if his going in slow lane" just doesn't grasp it, and tells me she's been driving longer etx

[Edited on 05-06-2013 by Generation]
Ben G

5th Jun 13 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Breaking the law to prove the point to someone who won't even care? Good one

it's not strictly illegal either though, as you're not moving back into the middle lane after passing on the inside lane.

what would happen if you joined the m25 at 70mph and there was one car in the middle lane, next to you, matching your speed.

you wouldn't slow down, pull out behind him, overtake, move back into the middle lane, then indicate and pull back into the left lane.

you'd drive straight past him on the inside lane and carry on your journey.
GB123
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 11:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis

Because instead of having to move out 1 lane to overtake, I have to move out 2 to go around the moron in the middle lane.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » On the spot fines for hogging middle lane 22 database queries in 0.0162520 seconds