corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance changes they are contemplating (for young drivers)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Insurance changes they are contemplating (for young drivers)
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
28th Jun 13 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

daymoon
Premium Member

28th Jun 13 at 16:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXIBrad

Young drivers (17-24) represent 12% of license holders, but account for 20% of all accidents on the road where someone is killed or seriously injured.

Is that 20% where young drivers to blame? Or 20% involves young drivers *
Also need to know the ratio of miles each group does.*

For example a young driver does 12k miles a year and a 60 y/o that does 2k miles a year. Young driver would be more likely to be involved in a crash as they spend more time on the road.*

*Imho.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

28th Jun 13 at 16:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GOOD! about time they got these young morons off the roads
oceansoul

28th Jun 13 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Restricted licence for 2 years after passing test, to something say 1.2 or less. Or less then xxBHP. Like they do for bikes.
GB123
Premium Member

28th Jun 13 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
Restricted licence for 2 years after passing test, to something say 1.2 or less. Or less then xxBHP. Like they do for bikes.

Would make little to no difference whatsoever, young people aren't driving big engined/high powered cars now due to the cost of insurance so it's not really a factor.

Idiots will be able to crash anything regardless if it's a 1.0 with 50bhp or a 6.0 with 500bhp.
CorsAsh

28th Jun 13 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I heard* they're going to raise the minimum age to 18...

*every year since 2000 at least
WukaChop

28th Jun 13 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isn't the idea of these box things to solve that? I don't really feel the need to go everywhere at 3 times the speed of sound, I won't lie I've thrashed the cars down some country roads occasionally, but everyone's done that.
I mean if they banned young drivers driving at night then I'd lose my job, since I got a car so I could actually get home from work...
RichR
Premium Member

30th Jun 13 at 09:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the pass plus should be made mandatory and should incorporate a skid pan element; exactly as in Finland which has the lowest accident rates in Europe.

Once the main test is passed, green L plates should be mandatory and perhaps only be able to use the car with a suitably experienced person as a passenger until the pass plus is completed.
RichR
Premium Member

30th Jun 13 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would be easy to police as well if it had a time restriction to it, if the pass plus wasn't taken within say a 12month period then the license could be revoked.
GB123
Premium Member

30th Jun 13 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not just include all of that stuff into the driving test then?
SXIBrad

1st Jul 13 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
quote:

Young drivers (17-24) represent 12% of license holders, but account for 20% of all accidents on the road where someone is killed or seriously injured.

Its 20% involves young drivers. Not that they are at fault 20% of the time
daymoon
Premium Member

1st Jul 13 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
quote:

Its 20% involves young drivers. Not that they are at fault 20% of the time

So in theory it could be 1% of young people at fault. How is that fair statistics?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance changes they are contemplating (for young drivers) 22 database queries in 0.0123870 seconds