corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Would you buy an ex police car?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Would you buy an ex police car?
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Jul 13 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, but if the car's on the road as a civilian car then it will have an MOT therefore those items will be ok. Not sure if I'm missing something here.
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Jul 13 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much cheaper are they than normal equivalent cars?
Chris x

22nd Jul 13 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People who don't work as police officers drive slowly over bumps then?
Welsh Dan

22nd Jul 13 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a bloody chance. I used to work for the Police garages, and until then I thought that they were good cars to buy.

All of the cars were serviced properly, with no expense spared whatsoever. Even when its clearly not cost effective, especially if it was a safety issue.

It obviously depends on the nature of the squad that its come from however. Traffic cars are very well looked after and kept clean, but the response team ones are ragged day in, day out, as well as getting into scrapes quite often.

I'd personally avoid, unless it was significantly cheaper and i'd budget for problems.

[Edited on 22-07-2013 by Welsh Dan]
Jambo

22nd Jul 13 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
No offence to anyone involved, but I'm guessing most people putting a downer on it have never actually owned one themself. Just a theory.

None taken, but said person has seen more of a wider variety than the owner of a single car. So likely to have a far better average for understanding the mass of cars out there
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Jul 13 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't aimed specifically at you. All I see is friends and friends of friends and assumptions tbh.

[Edited on 22-07-2013 by Brett]
nathy_87

22nd Jul 13 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of my friends, has was a Peugeot 307, said there was nothing wrong with it what-so-ever. Still got it.
DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

22nd Jul 13 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate Ash had a white Volvo T5 05 plate. Was in really good condition and looked like it had been maintained well.

Went like the stink too. 300bhp+ I think he said.

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
Corsa_Sport21

22nd Jul 13 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would. I would also check over it like i would any other car. Just because its ex plod dosn't mean its going to have problems that are hidden. If its got knackered suspension or a fuked engine, you just walk away like you would any other car. If all is fine then no biggy. Things won't just start to break or fall off over night, and the saving over the equivalent non ex plod car, gives you a bit extra to sort stuff if and when it does start to go wrong.

I see no issue with it tbh.

As for the speed bump thing, what a load of pish. I bet average joe in his Ford Focus hits speeds bumps at the same speed on a more regular basis. It's not like these police cars belt around the town centre 24/7 in high speed pursuits.
DaveyLC

22nd Jul 13 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are pretty good for replacing bits though.. The work-shop is normally a contract job so they just throw the cars in there for the slightest problem.. But as above most are shit spec, the interiors are a wreck and the body work is a mess.
Welsh Dan

22nd Jul 13 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
I would. I would also check over it like i would any other car. Just because its ex plod dosn't mean its going to have problems that are hidden. If its got knackered suspension or a fuked engine, you just walk away like you would any other car. If all is fine then no biggy. Things won't just start to break or fall off over night, and the saving over the equivalent non ex plod car, gives you a bit extra to sort stuff if and when it does start to go wrong.

I see no issue with it tbh.

As for the speed bump thing, what a load of pish. I bet average joe in his Ford Focus hits speeds bumps at the same speed on a more regular basis. It's not like these police cars belt around the town centre 24/7 in high speed pursuits.

Actually, on some days we can be doing blue light runs nearly all shift. Maybe not for a quiet county force, but for the busier city forces they certainly get driven hard and for long periods of time.
Mertin

22nd Jul 13 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isnt even any speed bumps in my town, and even the town s where there is whats the chances of a high speed chase taking place down a busy street with speed bumps on a daily basis?

I'd reckon they'd be good cars if picked up at an auction for bargain price. Dont see much attraction for a 1.7 diesel panda car, more likely the vectra's, omegas, volvos and nowadays a4's and bmw's. Undercovers will likely have mainly motorway miles with minimal marks / holes where stuff has been.
Corsa_Sport21

22nd Jul 13 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but these busier city forces will be driving in a busy city. Not like they are going to have a clear run at 70mph+ all the way. Probably going to weaving in and out of traffic at a more realistic 40mph ish.

Or is it like when Ben G used to do 0-60 runs in stop start traffic.
Welsh Dan

22nd Jul 13 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin
Isnt even any speed bumps in my town, and even the town s where there is whats the chances of a high speed chase taking place down a busy street with speed bumps on a daily basis?

I'd reckon they'd be good cars if picked up at an auction for bargain price. Dont see much attraction for a 1.7 diesel panda car, more likely the vectra's, omegas, volvos and nowadays a4's and bmw's. Undercovers will likely have mainly motorway miles with minimal marks / holes where stuff has been.

What about going to normal calls? Still have to get there quickly, and very rarely get pursuits where I work. And the unmarked cars with us get driven on the same roads, to the same calls, with the same drivers. The vast majority are no better driven than the marked units. And as mentioned, interiors don't last as long as they would with a normal car, got knows why.
Corsa_Sport21

22nd Jul 13 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As for the interiors being shitter spec, how is that possible if its a VRS to start with?? Can't see them ripping it out and replacing it with lower spec stuff.

Take for instance the Vectra's. They are just SRi's iirc with the VXR engine. The Octavia is an actual VRS, not just a lower spec model with a VRS engine.
Welsh Dan

22nd Jul 13 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've just had two new Octavia VRS to replace the 3 series BMWs we had. They have the standard interiors, but I know on other cars that they sometimes replace the leather interiors with cloth seats from lesser models, particularly the bigger engine BMWs/Audis. Mainly to do with the seats being cheaper to replace if the airbags go off i'd imagine.
am4nf

22nd Jul 13 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would tbh you can get a 2.8 t v6 vectra which is effectively a vxr underneath for about 2k, compared to some leathers and bumpers costing you at least double for a car a few years older, given they might have slightly less miles, but at the end of the day you never really know what life a cars had, until the problems start arrising
morpheus22

22nd Jul 13 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
a mate bought a V6 vectra, was a pile of shite
Ben G

22nd Jul 13 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Yes but these busier city forces will be driving in a busy city. Not like they are going to have a clear run at 70mph+ all the way. Probably going to weaving in and out of traffic at a more realistic 40mph ish.

Or is it like when Ben G used to do 0-60 runs in stop start traffic.

Here we go. Name dropping and talking crap yet again.
Skylined

22nd Jul 13 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My evo was a police car for the first year of its life, seems to be in great condition, regularly serviced and not had a problem with it.

Wouldn't put me off.
Graham88

23rd Jul 13 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mates got a Skoda vRS 1.8t, over 100k miles, few small dents and a hole in the roof from the aerial (been plugged) but it's been good as gold, still quick too

Would have to be significantly cheaper though

[Edited on 23-07-2013 by Graham88]
Pete_vxl

23rd Jul 13 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother had a petrol v6 vectra B. Amazing car. It had just over 100k and he ran it untill 170k.

In that time the car needed brakes and a xenon went pop. Other than that it was perfect.

Fife police even let him go into headquarters to get photos of it with it's sister car which was still in service.
Tiger

23rd Jul 13 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd buy one if I could keep the lights on top!
chris_uk
Premium Member

23rd Jul 13 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad had a granada cosworth which was an ex-police car, 350bhp or something daft and was bullet proof in the time we had it.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Would you buy an ex police car? 23 database queries in 0.0156081 seconds