corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » How far would £1,000,000 get you?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How far would £1,000,000 get you?
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
26th Jul 13 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
2.5% or so interest? so £25k a year?

Better off putting it in the bank and Leasing/Renting stuff with the interest

When the rates go back up you'll be laughing.
Ian W

26th Jul 13 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd buy a nice house but nothing extravagant, buy a nice car, 911, RS4 something like that then not sure.

Couldn't retire on it I know that but woulda enable you to live a regular life but with no money worries IMO
pow
Premium Member

26th Jul 13 at 14:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a nice 3 bed house, a nice every day car (evoke?), I've told mum and the misses that I'd take them to Mercedes and let them spec their own SLKs, few bits and pieces I've always wanted, put the remainder away and carry on working but not worrying
Jamie Walby

26th Jul 13 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Certainly a million quid would sweeten your lifestyle by a fair old amount but i'm not convinced it's a life changing amount of money - you're certainly not going to retire on that nor would it keep you in a lavish lifestyle for very long.

I agree with you in one sense but not having a mortgage would, in itself, be life changing IMO. Thats a lot of money to not have to worry about finding each month.

Agree about the not being able to retire/live a playboy-esque lifestyle too.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

26th Jul 13 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would buy an £800k house with £250k deposit, rest on mortgage then use the rest to make into more millions

whoever says £1m isnt life changing is a bell end, average person has access to around £30k at one time, having access to £1m changes things quite a bit

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Nismo

26th Jul 13 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GB123
Weirdos saying they would stay at their current job, surely you'd want to be your own boss at the very least?

Not always that easy, easier to work for someone else and not worry about the woes of running a business.

turn up, work go home and switch off.
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jul 13 at 15:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd spunk most of it and keep working I think. Get mortgageless on a decent house, buy a few cars and some ridiculous holidays then retire at 45ish.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Generation

26th Jul 13 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're smart you could make it last
GB123
Premium Member

26th Jul 13 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
quote:
Weirdos saying they would stay at their current job, surely you'd want to be your own boss at the very least?

Not always that easy, easier to work for someone else and not worry about the woes of running a business.

turn up, work go home and switch off.

Sure it's easier, no doubt about that, just not the way I'd do it.

A lot of money to be made out of that amount of start up capital.
LeeM

26th Jul 13 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4 flats in my building would be £4-450k and return 2400 a month. and i fancy the penthouse http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26738721.html

leaves me 300k to play with, maybe a GT-R. i'd still finish uni, get some work experience and use the rest to open my own business in a few years.
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jul 13 at 15:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
If you're smart you could make it last

Smart is boring, I'd rather live like a millionaire for a year rather than living comfortably for 40 years Either way, with a house out of the way - any decent full time job is going to be a really nice standard of living and I quite enjoy my job, so I'd just plod along spunking my salary all over the place for a while.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Generation

26th Jul 13 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3000k house
100k in capital bonds
3000k in savings/bonds
300k to play with.

Certainly would quit work, at least for 5 years or so.
Generation

26th Jul 13 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you'd rather fuck about for a year, then spend 40+ years in a 9-5, thinking about life you could be living with your kids at home, constant holidays etc. That's not boring is it
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jul 13 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
So you'd rather fuck about for a year, then spend 40+ years in a 9-5, thinking about life you could be living with your kids at home, constant holidays etc. That's not boring is it

I'm not saying I'd throw all the money away and be back to square one after a year, I'd be making purchases which I'd enjoy for years such as cars, big house, all debt free.

I could live like an emperor if I didn't have to pay mortgages and car loans - and I quite enjoy my job. With that in mind, knowing family/friends have to work through the week I'd probably continue working rather than just masturbating into £50 notes at home waiting for people to come give me attention.

I'd maybe consider buying a business for a hobby, something I'm passionate about - if it bleeds money, meh. If it makes money by some miracle I could retire my career and concentrate on that I guess.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Nath

26th Jul 13 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
It would be life changing, it's not retirement money though IMO.

Wouldn't risk it on a business start up either.
GB123
Premium Member

26th Jul 13 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously not all of it
Nath

26th Jul 13 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My job is a doddle. I'd be stress free with that in the bank. Perfect balance.
Generation

26th Jul 13 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're missing g the point.

I didn't say I'd be boring and spend nothing, I simply stated, with a bit of sense it could easily last
Gavin
Premium Member

26th Jul 13 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£400k on a house
£150k on another house - rent it out
£30-50k on a decent car

£400k in the kitty

I'd work 4 days a week, I think that extra day off (Friday) would make such a massive different. I've been doing that recently just to use up a few outstanding holidays and it makes a massive difference with a 3 day weekend

I'd then look at retiring early. Say late 40's

pew pew pew pewwwww
Nath

26th Jul 13 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4 day weeks is a good shout.
tom130691
Premium Member

26th Jul 13 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

my job pays fairly well for a starter can only go up, with no morgage you can live fairly well on an average income

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Buy a nice 3 bed house, a nice every day car (evoke?), I've told mum and the misses that I'd take them to Mercedes and let them spec their own SLKs, few bits and pieces I've always wanted, put the remainder away and carry on working but not worrying

pow evokes are only 30k, beside the new range rove sport is lovely,

if you wish to buy an evoke speak to me
pow
Premium Member

26th Jul 13 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once I've bought a house and me and misses have bought an facelift SLK ill talk to you I have no need for a huge RRS. I'd also finish the camper exactly how I want it.
tom130691
Premium Member

26th Jul 13 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i intend to be a jag a while
ed

26th Jul 13 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*Evoque
Russ

26th Jul 13 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

waste a couple k on being sensible.

800k on property to rent out, slowly expand, keep working as im cool like that

[Edited on 26-07-2013 by Russ]

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » How far would £1,000,000 get you? 23 database queries in 0.0103271 seconds