corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Teachers Strikes

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Teachers Strikes
Shell
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Oct 13 at 06:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell me Gents, if you have a really nice car that broke and needed sorted, would you sort it? Or would you think "aw that lad next door doesn't have a car at all, what with the current economic climate, I should just be pleased I have my broken car" and leave it be?
Russ

2nd Oct 13 at 06:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

having one child, i have infinite respect for people who spend all day with 30 at a time. i'd need 13 weeks holiday tbf
John

2nd Oct 13 at 06:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shell
Tell me Gents, if you have a really nice car that broke and needed sorted, would you sort it? Or would you think "aw that lad next door doesn't have a car at all, what with the current economic climate, I should just be pleased I have my broken car" and leave it be?

I'd fix the car myself and not moan about it., exactly the same as I have to do in employment. If I didn't like it I'd have to go elsewhere.
Gary
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 07:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She'll will stick up for them as her lot love to strike too.

She'll be one of these that go on strike after only working at the job a couple of years.

Steve
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 07:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
her lot

Racist
DaveyLC

2nd Oct 13 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to wind up my old neighbour about this.. She was a secondary school teacher and would moan about the hours etc..

Her defence for the 13 hour holidays was: "Yeah well all of the flights are expensive when when we can go on holday"..

Cry me a fucking river why don't you!
John

2nd Oct 13 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Holidays are more expensive, pita for those of us who don't get the 6 weeks to go with it.
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 08:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A friend's missus is a high school maths teacher and is 23 so has been teaching 2/3 years. I think this is her first year being able to teach unsupervised. She was striking yesterday even though she disagrees with striking and I think it was purely down to scare tactics by the unions. She was under the impression that it is the union who provide her with the back up in case of any tribunal or action brought against her down the line by parents or kids and that if she didn't support the strike, she would lose the backing of the union should she ever require it.

She is an incredibly bright girl and I was hugely surprised by her stance on it but effectively she was striking because the union told her she had no choice other than to support it even though she's not bothered about the reasons for the strike.
John

2nd Oct 13 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it different in England? Here you would go to uni for 4 years to get your degree in whatever subject, taking you to 21/22, then do a year teaching postgrad, then a years probation.
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 08:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly, I might be out on her age give or take a year but I know she's within her first years of teaching - the point being that she'll have paid next to nothing into any pension pot etc. anyway.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 08:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats getting on my nerves is the ones who are fresh out of uni first year in teaching then moaning about it.
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 08:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That was kind of the point I was making Steve, that some are moaning about it purely under the pressure and direction of the union and not because they necessarily, wholeheartedly agree with the situation.
spencer88

2nd Oct 13 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Is it different in England? Here you would go to uni for 4 years to get your degree in whatever subject, taking you to 21/22, then do a year teaching postgrad, then a years probation.

3 years then a year PCGE I believe.
pow
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 08:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't be an NQT until you're 23 here, 3 years at uni then a 1 year PGCE.

Don't even get me started on teachers
mwg

2nd Oct 13 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't understand why anyone that was at school and saw all the shit kids give teachers would then want to be a teacher when they grow up
JonnyJ

2nd Oct 13 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
I can't understand why anyone that was at school and saw all the shit kids give teachers would then want to be a teacher when they grow up

I always thought this. I wouldn't have liked to teach me and I wasnt even one of the proper cunts

I think teacher would be up there with looking after old people as my absolute nightmare job.

Unless it was like a teacher at uni, all mine did was sit and smoke weed all day
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 08:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair some of the salaries are mighty appealing, especially the further up you look, some of the heads here at some of the larger primary schools are on 70k+ thats just primary school!
John

2nd Oct 13 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the school I think for how good it is. GF teaches at the school we went to, back in the day they let the scallywags from far afield get in. Now it's only from the area the school is in, which is fairly good for the most part, so the attitude of the kids is better in general.

She's also taught in some bad places though and it sounds terrible.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 08:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Other arguments that have pissed me off are

"We effectively child mind 30 kids all day therefore we should be getting the same salary as 30 child minders"

Yeah ok then. Maybe McDonalds workers should get their salary multiplied based on how many customers they serve in a day.

[Edited on 02-10-2013 by Steve]
JonnyJ

2nd Oct 13 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
To be fair some of the salaries are mighty appealing, especially the further up you look, some of the heads here at some of the larger primary schools are on 70k+ thats just primary school!

Every single head we had looked haggard to fuck though. Give me half that salary and a job where I dont have to put up with jumped up little cunts and (apparently) stressful Ofsted inspections any day.
Gary
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
stressful Ofsted inspections

Surely OFSTED inspections are only stressful if your school is a bit shit?
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Oct 13 at 09:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I think it was purely down to scare tactics by the unions. ... She is an incredibly bright girl and I was hugely surprised by her stance on it

She's only going on what she's been told no doubt. The pressure to go out is quite large, I found it in a building with a few hundred staff so in a school with fewer people if most are going there will be pressure to do the same.

The ones in my old work used to stand in your way and try and talk to you on the way in, had to give them shit for doing that a few times.

I got called a scab and all the usual. Just said I'm in the IGU, no fee, 100% unanimous votes, took them a while to get on to it.
JonnyJ

2nd Oct 13 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Other arguments that have pissed me off are

"We effectively child mind 30 kids all day therefore we should be getting the same salary as 30 child minders"

Yeah ok then. Maybe McDonalds workers should get their salary multiplied based on how many customers they serve in a day.

[Edited on 02-10-2013 by Steve]

That is a really poor analogy Steve even by your standards

Who even says the above? I've not heard one teacher come on the news and demand the salary of 30 child minders.
Gary
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If someone called me a scab for going to work i'd find it hard to resist kicking them in the shin.
JonnyJ

2nd Oct 13 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
stressful Ofsted inspections

Surely OFSTED inspections are only stressful if your school is a bit shit?

I don't even know if they are hence the apparently you edited out of that quote

But surely if your school is a high standard then the school will want to maintain that high score, so still stressful. I don't even know how they work, just know a few teachers that get really stressed out when its Ofsted time.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Teachers Strikes 22 database queries in 0.0180910 seconds