corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Apprenticeships (thinking of retraining as a spark)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apprenticeships (thinking of retraining as a spark)
CORSA NUT

User status: Offline
10th Jan 14 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As far as I know you need to be 19 or under and be working for an electrical contractor to get access to the 2330 at college.

I was told my year was the last to offer adult trainees on the course. MIGHT be different elsewhere in the country.

Also don't bother being a spark it's shit hence why I've gone back into engineering. Get yourself into PLC programing
22B

11th Jan 14 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ljames555
quote:
Originally posted by 22B
quote:
Originally posted by gooner_47
Thanks for the advice. Good to hear opinions...

Let me rephrase re: the BT apprenticeship then - when you're finished what would what they've taught you allow you to go off and do - other than putting in phone lines and fibre and whatnot?

If your interested in electrical then go for national grid, western power/sse or water companies, you will work on industrial equipment 3 phase 415v, plc and scada control, motors, pumps a lot more interesting than working on house installations where the majority of the work is running cables.

They will train you up to do installation aswell as inspection and testing which is a transferable as well as doing a hnc on most
apprentiships which opens the door to instrumentation and control.

Forgot to say: good luck, as these companies only take on 20 or so apprentices a year so you will be up against hundreds of other people of all ages, and most will require assessment tests if you make it past the application form aswell as interviews, amazing the amount of people of all ages and different walks of life that apply .

[Edited on 10-01-2014 by 22B]

National grid isn't the place if you want to do electrical work all the equipment 22B mentions either gets contracted out and even that's a rarity because work is few and far between on that equipment. National grids main type of work is mechanical big nuts and bolts still a rarity.

But it is one of the safest jobs in the country once your in and a good pension scheme. If you want a easy life with a decent pay and van then it's for you but if you want to learn and do plc, motors, panels and 3 phase wiring then I'd go eslewhere. I can't vouch its the same for the other companies mentioned but I have a family member who give me that response when I asked about jobs.

They have no age limit on apprentices which is a good thing, british gas make you stump up 16k if your over 24 if you get offered a apprenticeship which is disgraceful.

My advice would be to try factories, chemical plants, crane companies. They all use plcs, motors etc etc equipment that in my eyes is everywhere and a sought after trade which opens plenty of doors.

Goodluck

I dont know much about national grid was just an example of a big company to apply for, I work in maintenance for a water company as a mech fitter but work closely with electricians and instrument techs.

Looks fairly interesting and as mentioned above good pay, very relaxed culture, its one of those jobs for life, beats working for a living
ljames555

11th Jan 14 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 22B
quote:
Originally posted by ljames555
quote:
Originally posted by 22B
quote:
Originally posted by gooner_47
Thanks for the advice. Good to hear opinions...

Let me rephrase re: the BT apprenticeship then - when you're finished what would what they've taught you allow you to go off and do - other than putting in phone lines and fibre and whatnot?

If your interested in electrical then go for national grid, western power/sse or water companies, you will work on industrial equipment 3 phase 415v, plc and scada control, motors, pumps a lot more interesting than working on house installations where the majority of the work is running cables.

They will train you up to do installation aswell as inspection and testing which is a transferable as well as doing a hnc on most
apprentiships which opens the door to instrumentation and control.

Forgot to say: good luck, as these companies only take on 20 or so apprentices a year so you will be up against hundreds of other people of all ages, and most will require assessment tests if you make it past the application form aswell as interviews, amazing the amount of people of all ages and different walks of life that apply .

[Edited on 10-01-2014 by 22B]

National grid isn't the place if you want to do electrical work all the equipment 22B mentions either gets contracted out and even that's a rarity because work is few and far between on that equipment. National grids main type of work is mechanical big nuts and bolts still a rarity.

But it is one of the safest jobs in the country once your in and a good pension scheme. If you want a easy life with a decent pay and van then it's for you but if you want to learn and do plc, motors, panels and 3 phase wiring then I'd go eslewhere. I can't vouch its the same for the other companies mentioned but I have a family member who give me that response when I asked about jobs.

They have no age limit on apprentices which is a good thing, british gas make you stump up 16k if your over 24 if you get offered a apprenticeship which is disgraceful.

My advice would be to try factories, chemical plants, crane companies. They all use plcs, motors etc etc equipment that in my eyes is everywhere and a sought after trade which opens plenty of doors.

Goodluck

I dont know much about national grid was just an example of a big company to apply for, I work in maintenance for a water company as a mech fitter but work closely with electricians and instrument techs.

Looks fairly interesting and as mentioned above good pay, very relaxed culture, its one of those jobs for life, beats working for a living

I didn't mean to come across as shooting you down, the other companies probably provide the work you mentioned. Just people get mistaken with certain companies I for one did.
corsa-torque

11th Jan 14 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you looked at British gas smart meter apprenticeships?

No age limit, starts at 13.5k then 16k after 5months then 21k after qualified. loads of benefits inc a van and you have that whilst training.
Most qualified engineers take home is 30-35k a year with a little O/T and bonus.
Jay

11th Jan 14 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welly Wanger
enjoy getting up in winter to go on construction sites freezing your bollox off for 12 hours a day, while the technical consultant guys are in their nice warm offices

Ive never done a 12 hour day on site, ever ever ever
Tiger

11th Jan 14 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jay
quote:
Originally posted by Welly Wanger
enjoy getting up in winter to go on construction sites freezing your bollox off for 12 hours a day, while the technical consultant guys are in their nice warm offices

Ive never done a 12 hour day on site, ever ever ever

Really? I've done 21hr shifts on sites before!

[Edited on 11-01-2014 by Tiger]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Apprenticeships (thinking of retraining as a spark) 22 database queries in 0.0048671 seconds