corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Skiers/Boarders

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Skiers/Boarders
Robbo

User status: Offline
23rd Feb 14 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can anyone recommend websites for good equipment/clothing? not for me (yet... )
RichR
Premium Member

24th Feb 14 at 07:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surfdome
Snow and rock
Subvert
Board riders
The Snowboard Asylum/Ellis Brighams
Edge and Wax
Rider's lounge
Cavey

24th Feb 14 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For under clothes, mountain warehouse is cheap and cheerful and they work well enough. Think I got my jacket and bottoms from there too actually Or TK Maxx, although, robbo doesnt strike me as the kind of person to go for cheap shops.

Two seasons as well, but that was only because we have one in town
Rob_Quads

24th Feb 14 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TK-Maxx is great for picking up last seasons stuff including some of the flashier brands too.
RichR
Premium Member

24th Feb 14 at 09:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good call, I got my Salomon socks and first Moah jacket from TK Maxx on the cheap.

Two Seasons are hit and miss, sometimes they have loads of stuff in, other times very little.
ed

24th Feb 14 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decathlon's good for certain things.
Robbo

24th Feb 14 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys

Caveys right ha, wish i was though looking at prices

colleagues strongly reocmmended uniqlo undergarments for skiing, said they are great quality on the cheap!
Robbo

25th Feb 14 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone have any experience of the MK and Hemel places?
RichR
Premium Member

25th Feb 14 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ed is your man.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

25th Feb 14 at 13:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i go to hemel quite alot now, if you go early sunday morning lifts only take about 5 mins so you get loads of skiing in the hour slot, tunes playing loud too, usually kisstory. hmm i might go sunday

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Robbo

25th Feb 14 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is hemel quite good? erring toward going there tbh as the progression lessons make more sense there than at MK (i think!)
Robbo

25th Feb 14 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, what do people wear (head to toe...) when youre out there skiing or in an Xscape type place?

im assuming thermal t-shirt, thermal long johns, normal pants + ski socks, ski jacket + trousers, hoody and then gloves plus any protective wear?

general consensus seems to be to get gloves with writst protectors (for boarding) and perhaps some padded cyclign shorts...

[Edited on 25-02-2014 by Robbo]
Rob_Quads

25th Feb 14 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the indoor slopes I often would just wear my boarding trousers (no thermals) t-shirt and a hoody. Even with that I would get hot.

On the real slopes all depends. If its cold cold you wrap up warm lol
RichR
Premium Member

25th Feb 14 at 14:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Boarding trousers, long sleeve, t-shirt and hoody. Pipe gloves - no protective gear except a helmet. If we're doing a 4 hour session, I sometimes take an extra t-shirt/thin jumper which I throw in the locker in case I get too cold.

and its a NO from me for wrist protection.

<<<< and that ended about as badly as it could on Thursday in Verbier without major injury....

[Edited on 25-02-2014 by LiVe LeE]
Robbo

25th Feb 14 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i said i had a weak wrist from dislocating then fracturing it when i was 16...
RichR
Premium Member

25th Feb 14 at 15:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wrist protectors tend to lead to severe breaks - impact type shattering which leads to plating and pins whereas without protection, the breaks tend to be clean and easily, repairable. There are two distinct schools of thought and I air on the, 'if it breaks, I'd rather it break cleanly' side.
Robbo

25th Feb 14 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i see where youre coming from....
Rob_Quads

25th Feb 14 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a very mixed bag - some reports have shown not much difference between wearing a protector and not in terms of the damage.

With a wrist protector they have shown that it takes a much much harder impact to cause damage

In interesting read - http://www.ski-injury.com/prevention/wrist_guards

[Edited on 25-02-2014 by Rob_Quads]
Robbo

25th Feb 14 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah just found that via google and seems conclusive to me... given i have a previous wrist breka and generally thin and not very strong wrists/bones i think id benefit
John

25th Feb 14 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
if i said i had a weak wrist from dislocating then fracturing it when i was 16...

Have you had proper advice to tell you that?

I broke my arm 4 times into my teens and was always told it would make absolutely no difference.
Robbo

25th Feb 14 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep during physio... didnt eat brilliantly as a child so i have exceptionally thin wrists (can very easily get my thumb to the first joint of my forefinger when wrappign around ha) and then had a really bad cycling accident where i dislocated my wrist then the paramedics broke it putting it back into place (i dont recall the circumstances, was 1997!) and its quite weak ow... can get quite painful when its cold etc.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

25th Feb 14 at 16:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wear my boarding trousers (yes boarding trousers on a skiier) over the top of my jeans, saves getting in a changing room ski socks, thermal longsleve top and ski jacket and gloves, i dont like wearing hats and to be honest it doesnt warrant it in hemel, no goggles either

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Robbo

26th Feb 14 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weird questioon, how many pairs of ski socks do you get through ona week away? do you change them every day like normal socks or...?
Robbo

26th Feb 14 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, gloves; i get very very cold/numb hands at the best of times... been told i should get goretex gloves from a good name, sound right? Saw a pair of Burtons and TNF GTX ones at like £70 which seems expensive...
RichR
Premium Member

26th Feb 14 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used three pairs of socks in my 7 days of boarding last week but in the past I've taken two, however I wash them each night when I'm in the shower.

A decent set of gloves is going to cost you but I'd recommend getting ones with extra liners and ventilation - whilst boarding your hands go from the extremes of being hot and sweaty, hence needing vents to being bitterly cold if your sitting around a lot, especially on lifts. I tend to drop my liners on after lunch as I never seem to warp up again after stopping.

[Edited on 26-02-2014 by LiVe LeE]

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Skiers/Boarders 23 database queries in 0.0132270 seconds