corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » ARGHHH MacBook Air! Help :(

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ARGHHH MacBook Air! Help :(
Robbo

User status: Offline
19th Feb 14 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aside from dom giving some more details on what constitutes other, this is the only post that has actually helped so not sure why you are pannign me still

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
"Clean My Mac" will sort out your shit with one click, but costs £34.99:

http://macpaw.com/cleanmymac

Alternatively, slightly less user friendly but free "Onyx":

http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php
John

19th Feb 14 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's been explained in more than enough depth for this thread what 'other' consists of you are just ignoring it.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

evilrob
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 13:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not related to your issue, but for future reference when taking screenshots, you can hit Command + Shift + 4, hit space, then move the mouse pointer over the window / dialogue box and click the left mouse button.

Just that part of the screen will be saved to your desktop - avoiding comments about your wallpaper or the fact your full name is in the top right corner.

[Edited on 19-02-2014 by evilrob]
Dom

19th Feb 14 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
..... not sure why you are pannign me still

Because you're ignoring the advice of people that work in the industry and throwing your toys out of your pram when the advice doesn't agree with your "expert" diagnosis.

So you have two choices considering you aren't willing to take our advice ( i'm curious to why you created a thread asking for help in the first place) - purchase a "cleaning" app like 'CleanMyMac', which won't fix or cure the 'problem' but i guess it might make you feel better; or take it to Apple and get them to look at it as your continuous bleating of "it's not normal" suggests that you think the MBA is faulty.
evilrob
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
purchase a "cleaning" app like 'CleanMyMac', which won't fix or cure the 'problem'

I don't disagree, but CleanMyMac does clear out a remarkable amount of shit other than standard issue system caches and logs - so it does a bit more than something like CCLeaner on Windows. For example, it also reduces the size of applications by removing foreign languages and PowerPC binaries, removes the hundreds of slightly different versions of the same photo if you've tweaked in iPhoto cos iPhoto saves a copy every time you move a slider, and a few other bits and bobs.

To the OP: Sorry to be another one telling you, but 40gb of 'other' is not abnormal - it'll be the paging file and a bunch of other stuff. You should consider moving your media (photos, music, movies) to an external hard drive. CleanMyMac or Onyx will give you some breathing space in the meantime, though.

The main issue is simply that you have too much stuff on your laptop!
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get an appointment at the Genius Bar
Dom

19th Feb 14 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
it'll be the paging file and a bunch of other stuff

I suspect 'other' will also count the OS which is ~10GB on a clean install.

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Get an appointment at the Genius Bar

Those poor bastards; kinda makes you feel sorry for them having to deal with users like this
Robbo

19th Feb 14 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the point is not whether the size of other is normal or not (def doesnt seem right to me that >30% of the storage space is taken up by system files but ill defer to you lot on that one) but as to whyy it keeps constantly eatign any free space left on my hard drive... unfortunately none of you can explain what that is causing that, hence my repeated comments of its not normal, becuase quite frnakly, it isnt. 2.5GB doesnt just disappear without a trace for no reason
Robbo

19th Feb 14 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
..... not sure why you are pannign me still

Because you're ignoring the advice of people that work in the industry and throwing your toys out of your pram when the advice doesn't agree with your "expert" diagnosis.

So you have two choices considering you aren't willing to take our advice ( i'm curious to why you created a thread asking for help in the first place) - purchase a "cleaning" app like 'CleanMyMac', which won't fix or cure the 'problem' but i guess it might make you feel better; or take it to Apple and get them to look at it as your continuous bleating of "it's not normal" suggests that you think the MBA is faulty.
what advice, to move files elsewhere etc.? I have done that (as I stated in the very first post I think) but every time i do that, my spare space miraculously disappears... 2 days ago I removed 6GB of itunes apps from my laptop and ran the Mavericks update, now I have 1GB left instead of 5.5GB, that kind of thing I can partially understand (though extremely frustrating givne the tiny size of the hard drive!) but had I have not run the upgrade, over the comign days and weeks that 6GB would simply disappear naturally, so why bother moving stuff when I dont know what the root cause is of all the disappearing space?

oops, i actually didnt say that but i was thinking it...

[Edited on 19-02-2014 by Robbo]
Robbo

19th Feb 14 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
It's been explained in more than enough depth for this thread what 'other' consists of you are just ignoring it.
hasnt been explained once, save evilrob who tried to explain youve all just said, move files, delete files... which i alreayd said doesnt work
evilrob
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 14:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
example, a few months ago i had 3GB spare space. A few days later, having imported a few photos and apps perhaps it was down to 300MB.

Photos are surprisingly big, especially if you're dealing with RAW or uncompressed/lossless files.

Same goes for applications - they're enormous these days.

quote:
THAT IS NOT FUCKING NORMAL WHAT THE FUCK IS IT!

Umm... that would be photos and apps, then?

[Edited on 19-02-2014 by evilrob]
Robbo

19th Feb 14 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agreed in theory but i was keepign a very close eye on the size of what i was putting on. it was max 1GB
Cavey

19th Feb 14 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any use orbobobobo?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14103154&postcount=1

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1420249
evilrob
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 14:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That seems perfectly normal - when you import photos, OS X does all sorts of wonky stuff like indexing for faster searching, making thumbnails etc - all this adds up. If you did any amount of editing, there would be multiple revisions of those photos taking up space too.

When you ran those new apps, they probably created logs and caches etc. - again this all takes space.

You haven't got Time Machine enabled have you?
Robbo

19th Feb 14 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could it be time machine back-ups? i do back-up on time machine to a (Windows...) externmal hard drive? very rarely too, is it backing up on the laptop?
Robbo

19th Feb 14 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
That seems perfectly normal - when you import photos, OS X does all sorts of wonky stuff like indexing for faster searching, making thumbnails etc - all this adds up. If you did any amount of editing, there would be multiple revisions of those photos taking up space too.

When you ran those new apps, they probably created logs and caches etc. - again this all takes space.

You haven't got Time Machine enabled have you?
in this particular instance they were pics taken on my iphone.

yes i do have time machine enabled...
Robbo

19th Feb 14 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go to system preferences> time machine
If it is enabled make sure local snapshots are disabled.

i cant chekc it now but this could well be it......
Robbo

19th Feb 14 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Any use orbobobobo?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14103154&postcount=1

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1420249
John

19th Feb 14 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
hasnt been explained once, save evilrob who tried to explain youve all just said, move files, delete files... which i alreayd said doesnt work

quote:
It is normal. When your computer is running, it does lots of stuff in the background. It creates temporary files that change in size all the time. When you open your Arsenal pictures, it'll create temporary files in the background.

Stop focussing on the 'other' and focus on the things you do know, like half of the drive being taken up by movies and photos.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

It all serious though, it's likely to be a mixture of cached files (from a multitude of system and non-system apps) and logs. Either way, it's perfectly normal and you best solution is to move your 81GB (63% of your storage) of media off to another drive or at least transfer the less used files.
Alternatively upgrade the internal drive - OWC might be your best bet for an upgrade drive.
Dom

19th Feb 14 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
what advice, to move files elsewhere etc.? I have done that (as I stated in the very first post I think) but every time i do that, my spare space miraculously disappears...

Unfortunately, you're thinking that the system is static but it's extremely dynamic (as pointed out to you numerous times) in that various cache files, logs, file version, index databases, page file will continuously be updating and changing in size and you'll find a lot of these processes will gobble space as it's frees (to a limit) for optimisation and to improve performance.

If you removed the 81GB of media and the system gobbled that 81GB (i recommend you do this to prove that there is an issue) then yes i would agree that it "wasn't normal" and would suggest the OS install is faulty. However, you're talking about 100(s) of MB or the odd GB which IS normal behaviour of an OS.

Either way, take it to Apple as in your eyes the MBA is not performing correctly and clearly faulty - they'll point in the right direction

[Edited on 19-02-2014 by Dom]
Balling
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

It says "Zero KB" for backups in his screen shot, so seems unlikely it'll be local snapshots.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't turn that off in preferences but need to go through Terminal.

Either way, I don't see it being an issue at Time Machine should delete the local files on next backup to an external drive.
As far as I'm aware, local snapshots are only used when backup is overdue.

Robbo

19th Feb 14 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
what advice, to move files elsewhere etc.? I have done that (as I stated in the very first post I think) but every time i do that, my spare space miraculously disappears...

Unfortunately, you're thinking that the system is static but it's extremely dynamic (as pointed out to you numerous times) in that various cache files, logs, file version, index databases, page file will continuously be updating and changing in size and you'll find a lot of these processes will gobble space as it's frees (to a limit) for optimisation and to improve performance.

If you removed the 81GB of media and the system gobbled that 81GB (i recommend you do this to prove that there is an issue) then yes i would agree that it "wasn't normal" and would suggest the OS install is faulty. However, you're talking about 100(s) of MB or the odd GB which IS normal behaviour of an OS.

Either way, take it to Apple as in your eyes the MBA is not performing correctly and clearly faulty - they'll point in the right direction

[Edited on 19-02-2014 by Dom]
unfortunately i dont have anywhere to put that much where i can then easily put it back on so not an option. even the odd GB (from 120!) seems absurd, but perhaps the diskcleaner thing can purge at least some of the unused shite.

also its a 3and a half year old laptop, i dont think they are goign to give a shit

[Edited on 19-02-2014 by Robbo]
John

19th Feb 14 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Better putting the £35 quid towards a USB drive then instead of wasting it on a bit of software that you don't really need.
Robbo

19th Feb 14 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:

It says "Zero KB" for backups in his screen shot, so seems unlikely it'll be local snapshots.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't turn that off in preferences but need to go through Terminal.

Either way, I don't see it being an issue at Time Machine should delete the local files on next backup to an external drive.
As far as I'm aware, local snapshots are only used when backup is overdue.
good point. buit yes, time machine back ups on mine are always overdue... i havent done one sicne about July i think...

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll