corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » vx220 / lotus elises

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author vx220 / lotus elises
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Jun 14 at 11:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wondered if they were identifiable by the variant, i.e. all 111S are K Series but all 135 are Toyota?
gavin18787
Premium Member

6th Jun 14 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah erm pass as im lost on all the differences too. Think a standard k series is 118bjp iirc

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Corsa_Sport21

6th Jun 14 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/uk-elise-when-engine-switched-toyota-89370/
RichR
Premium Member

6th Jun 14 at 14:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so any R is Toyota engined and any S is K Series.
gavin18787
Premium Member

6th Jun 14 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From reading on pistonheads the 111r is a good engine but is a bit peaky and needs to be kept above 6000rpm as its vvt like a vtec engine

ed

6th Jun 14 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My friend has a mint S2 Elise - had a hard time buying it because they sell so quickly! They're a bit of a modern classic and seem to hold their value nicely.

His has a K series and a point about those - the issues they're renowned for are down to inadequate cooling, in the Elise this isn't an issue as it's got a properly specced radiator in it. The main issue my friend has is with the battery, keep it hooked up to a trickle charger (can get solar powered ones) and it shouldn't give you too much trouble. I believe the problem is down to a tiny battery and an alarm which drains it pretty quickly.
gavin18787
Premium Member

6th Jun 14 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yer ive heard lotus ironed out alot of the k series niggles

chris_uk
Premium Member

7th Jun 14 at 05:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you going to want to mod the car?
RichR
Premium Member

7th Jun 14 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
I kept mine outside for years and never had a problem but just recently ive found some bubbling on the clam (all fibreglass cars suffer so dont think its just a vx trait) its to do with the frost getting in over the years.

That's such bollocks on the part of the builders if it's true-what you're describing is osmosis and in this day and age, it shouldn't be happening-remember that boats live in water permanently and see more weather than a car will ever see and you never hear of osmosis happening - it's just lazy on the car company's part to not use the correct resin systems to prevent these issues.
gavin18787
Premium Member

7th Jun 14 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I will say no. But will probably end up with a few tweeks

chris_uk
Premium Member

7th Jun 14 at 13:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
quote:
I kept mine outside for years and never had a problem but just recently ive found some bubbling on the clam (all fibreglass cars suffer so dont think its just a vx trait) its to do with the frost getting in over the years.

That's such bollocks on the part of the builders if it's true-what you're describing is osmosis and in this day and age, it shouldn't be happening-remember that boats live in water permanently and see more weather than a car will ever see and you never hear of osmosis happening - it's just lazy on the car company's part to not use the correct resin systems to prevent these issues.

yup but these cars panels are not 20" thick..

bear in mind these cars were made 14 years ago.
chris_uk
Premium Member

7th Jun 14 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
quote:

a 2.2 Sc Vx will beat 90% of anything you come across on the roads, they are good for 160mph and will do -60 in under 4.5 seconds. couple that with R888's (or similar) and decent shocks and you will have a decent motor on the road and track.

my 380bhp map just came back with a limiter on it for 300kph lol
djgritt
Premium Member

7th Jun 14 at 14:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

This is a bit of a guess, but I imagine a lightweight Sports Car isn't designed to be submerged in Water for the majority of it's lifetime.
Therefore the Panels aren't going to require/have as much protection as is required for a Marine application...
gavin18787
Premium Member

7th Jun 14 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
quote:

a 2.2 Sc Vx will beat 90% of anything you come across on the roads, they are good for 160mph and will do -60 in under 4.5 seconds. couple that with R888's (or similar) and decent shocks and you will have a decent motor on the road and track.

my 380bhp map just came back with a limiter on it for 300kph lol

I think the 2.2 will be for me. As it will be nice na power. Dont want too much as it would be my first rwd car
would hope to keep it standard engine wise at least for a good while

gavin18787
Premium Member

7th Jun 14 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This has come up for sale 10mins from me. Might go have a look as I havent had a proper look round a vx220

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/vauxhall/vx220/vauxhall-vx220-16v-------------------2003/2396185

Ben G

7th Jun 14 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks clean. Really like them, especially with the turbo body parts.

Bloke in work had one for a while, was amazed at how low it actually is.
chris_uk
Premium Member

7th Jun 14 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exhaust isnt central so have a look for craash damage on the back, its probably just an ill fitting exhaust tbh but just check. Also there is nothing about the rad which imo should always be factored into the cost of buying a vx220, you ideally want to look at one which has had all the niggly jobs done already because you will have to do them eventually.
gavin18787
Premium Member

7th Jun 14 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rad?
Is there a buyers guide anywhere?

chris_uk
Premium Member

8th Jun 14 at 06:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Radiator .

There is one on vx220.org.uk somewhere.
RichR
Premium Member

8th Jun 14 at 08:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

yup but these cars panels are not 20" thick..

bear in mind these cars were made 14 years ago.

Our hull shell laminate is 6-8mm thick which will be similar to a car and we service boats we built 25 years ago, none of which have osmosis. The difference in price between an isothalyc and orthothaylic resin system is negligible as well and as such, it's nothing to do with the design criteria and more to do with penny pinching as the cost is virtually the same panel to panel and weight isn't affected-I can see no genuine reason why they're using the wrong resin system especially given that they're likely chopper gunned which is exactly the same as a bathtub and they don't suffer from osmosis either!!

gavin18787
Premium Member

8th Jun 14 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Radiator .

There is one on vx220.org.uk somewhere.

found it
pistonheads did a feature too which was good

Yer all ally rad
rear hub bolts
timing chain rattle
loose door's
subframe damage
toe arms
bushes upto date

Jambo

8th Jun 14 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go and drive one Gav.

I have driven a mid engined car and ok it was a supercar but it was the balance that threw me. Might be my driving style but it just felt so "right" not really fussed by other setups now, if I go back into owning a proper performance car then I want something mid engined. Can feel each end is "lighter" and feels like you are the engine as such. Be seriously tempted with either option tbh
taylorboosh

8th Jun 14 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Go and drive one Gav.

I have driven a mid engined car and ok it was a supercar but it was the balance that threw me. Might be my driving style but it just felt so "right" not really fussed by other setups now, if I go back into owning a proper performance car then I want something mid engined. Can feel each end is "lighter" and feels like you are the engine as such. Be seriously tempted with either option tbh

Flol last week you fancied a merc saloon with a huge engine...

(Dont take this like im saying your full of shit/dreamer... As obviously you have owned some tasty cars, just think you like me and can never make your mind up)
ed

8th Jun 14 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing I have to say about Elise (an VX220 for that matter) handling is that they take physics and say a big fuck you to it. The way the things corner is unreal!
Tomnova16
Premium Member

8th Jun 14 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loved my vx220

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » vx220 / lotus elises 23 database queries in 0.0128241 seconds