corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Ios8 wifi issues **Update FIXED :D **

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ios8 wifi issues **Update FIXED :D **
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Oct 14 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you tried setting your router to a different channel? e.g. if it's currently on 6, try 1 or 11; may be interference from other people's WiFi or baby monitors, cordless landline handsets etc.
Jambo

22nd Oct 14 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a LAN, with an access point upstairs, all using same SSID.

I Turned off the WPA2 encryption to replace it with WEP and it crashed everything which resulted in me having to get an old Ethernet cable out and plug it in to the router manually to readjust the settings back to WPA2 and sure enough it all came back to life

evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Oct 14 at 23:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
It's a LAN, with an access point upstairs, all using same SSID.

Now I'm confused. You only have one wireless access point, right? This Technicolor jobby?

Obviously you're trying to connect your iPhone to your wireless access point; what I'm trying to ascertain is whether or not you've tried changing the channel:

Jambo

22nd Oct 14 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One router, technicolor job and an access point which is a Netgear.

The technicolor is the "master" so all settings are controlled through this.

Not tried changing channel so I will try this tomorrow. That's exactly what the menu looks like, not the best!
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Oct 14 at 23:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
One router, technicolor job and an access point which is a Netgear.

So you do have two wireless 'receivers' with the same SSID - your Technicolor wireless router, and the Netgear wireless access point connected via ethernet cable to your router (or set up as a wireless repeater)?

We've established the Technicolor is only pumping out 2.4ghz. What about the Netgear?

[Edited on 22-10-2014 by evilrob]
Jambo

22nd Oct 14 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly that Rob.

I'm not sure what the Netgear is pumping out. My laptop picked up a 5ghz signal, so no idea if that was this network or another local one in proximity.

evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Oct 14 at 23:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm pretty certain it will turn out that your Netgear is dual band and is the root cause of your connectivity issues. Either that or your iPhone is a bit spasticky about connecting to one of two wireless receivers with the same SSID.

Give your Technicolor a different SSID to the Netgear and then try connecting to this new SSID using your iPhone. Obviously this might knacker all your other wireless devices downstairs if you're out of range of the Netgear until you change it back (and possibly upstairs as well if your Netgear is not connected to the router via cable!); just want to test the theory that your iPhone doesn't like having two wireless receivers with the same SSID.

[Edited on 22-10-2014 by evilrob]
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Oct 14 at 05:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just turn off the Netgear to see if things work. Should be the fastest way to determine if that is the culprit.

Rob_Quads

23rd Oct 14 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup sounds like it will be the Netgear.

What is the purpose of the netgear? To extend coverage? Do you need 5G speeds? What else are you connecting to and what speed is your internet. You might find that 2G will do everything you need.
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Oct 14 at 07:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Do you need 5G speeds? What else are you connecting to and what speed is your internet. You might find that 2G will do everything you need.
Firstly, please, please, PLEASE use the terms 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz!

Secondly, there's no such thing as 5 GHz speeds. There's a wide misunderstanding that 5 GHz is always better/faster/stronger than 2.4 GHz. Something I see being even more widely misunderstood if people start calling it 2G and 5G.

If 4G is faster and better than 3G, then surely 2G is worse and 5G is even better still, right?

Rob_Quads

23rd Oct 14 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To the lay man if your sitting near to the router and they have a 2.4Ghz and 5ghz connection the 5Ghz will be faster. The further away you go there will be a crossover point where the 5Ghz starts to drop and the 2.4Ghz becomes better, only thing available.

Balling
Premium Member

23rd Oct 14 at 09:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The difference is down to interference and distance, not speed.

Again, there's no such thing as 5G or even 5 Ghz speed.

I think you might be confusing wifi standards with frequency.

Dom

23rd Oct 14 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
There's a wide misunderstanding that 5 GHz is always better/faster/stronger than 2.4 GHz.

Technically the increase in frequency and channel widths will do just that, with the exception (of stronger) that signal penetration decreases due to shorter wave length. As you mention, a lot of factors come in to play (particularly channel congestion with other devices, DECT phones, bluetooth etc, operating within the same spectrum etc) but on the whole (and distance isn't a requirement), 5GHz will offer a better connection than 2.4GHz.

Second the use of correct terminology though; the terms 2G and 5G are associated with telecommunication networks and not IP networks.

Jambo - As others have said, switch off the Netgear WAP and see how you get on.

[Edited on 23-10-2014 by Dom]
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Oct 14 at 11:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Technically the increase in frequency and channel widths will do just that
Theoretically, using the same WiFi standard on two different frequencies should give the exact same transfer speed, no?

I wasn't trying to claim that 5 GHz doesn't have benefits over 2.4 GHz, at all. I just think the term "5G speeds" or even "5 GHz speeds" is widely misleading.

It's a fresh pet hate of mine since recently switching ISP and receiving a pamphlet along with the equipment advertising the benefits of my "new 5G router with superior speed".

Rob_Quads

23rd Oct 14 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doh - Dumb brain day - was forgetting about protocol
Dom

23rd Oct 14 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Theoretically, using the same WiFi standard on two different frequencies should give the exact same transfer speed, no?

No; increasing the transmission frequency increases the data rate but the reduced wave-length decreases penetration due to reflection, diffraction, refraction and absorption (this obviously changes when you get to x-rays and gamma-rays etc).

So moving to 5GHz Wifi should improve transfer speeds.
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Oct 14 at 12:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what is the transfer speed of 5 GHz then?

EFR*

*Edited For Rob

[Edited on 23-10-2014 by Balling]

evilrob
Premium Member

23rd Oct 14 at 13:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So what is the speed of 5 GHz then?

5,000,000,000 oscillations per second, Mr Pedantic.

The maximum throughput depends on the protocol - theoretically up to 600 megabits per second on 802.11n.
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Oct 14 at 13:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
The maximum throughput depends on the protocol
Case in point.

Jambo

23rd Oct 14 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello chaps, thanks for the replies.

Ok so simple setup is this:

LAN, BT box at the phoneline downstairs > LAN cable to the technicolor router. Small office running two shit slow PCs upstairs. Originally we had a "repeater" but allegedly this wasnt compatible with the new fibre stuff. So this was binned and now we have the netgear upstairs which uses Ethernet connection to the two PCs there.

Aside from that we have 2-3 laptops, a desktop and an iPad + three iPhones in the house all using WiFi.

Netgear does sound like the culprit, in the last house I asked them to assign separate SSIDs for the upstairs/downstairs signals and this worked fine. Now they are both using the same SSID we have had a number of unrelated performance issues across all devices.

I will see if we can change this setup wihtout too much grief from our IT guy

[Edited on 23-10-2014 by Jambo]
evilrob
Premium Member

23rd Oct 14 at 16:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can change the SSID yourself in the Technicolor settings (which you already know how to get into) without faffing about with the Netgear.

Give your Technicolor router a new SSID (this is configurable on the page shown in the screenshot above), you'll just need to reconfigure your downstairs devices to connect to the new SSID.

Your WiFi connectivity problems will disappear, IT need not get involved.

CAVEAT: I was under the impression your Netgear wireless access point upstairs was connected via ethernet cable to your router. If this is not the case, it can only connect to your router wirelessly - i.e. it is acting as a wireless repeater. Changing the SSID will obviously cause your Netgear to lose connectivity to the interwebs until it is configured to talk to the new downstairs SSID.

[Edited on 23-10-2014 by evilrob]
Jambo

23rd Oct 14 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a Netgear WN2000RPTv2 Wireless Range Extender

I don't have the login for the router though
evilrob
Premium Member

23rd Oct 14 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try turning off the Netgear then now it's outside of business hours - only a matter of nipping upstairs isn't it?
Jambo

23rd Oct 14 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I do that the whole network dies for some reason?

I will see if I can change the SSId
Dom

23rd Oct 14 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
The maximum throughput depends on the protocol
Case in point.

It does massively depend on the protocol (to some extent) but that's not what you originally asked Balling, rather -

quote:

You're not going to achieve the (theoretical) maximum throughput of 802.11n operating at 5GHz as you would operating at 2.4GHz due to physics of transmissions, ie - (in the simplest of terms) if you halve the wave-length from the doubling of frequency, then you can transmit twice the amount of "data" in the same time frame as transmitting at half the frequency/or double the wave-length.

Tbf, 802.11 protocol(s) and RF transmissions are well and truly out of my comfort zone and i doubt there is anyone on this board that has in-depth knowledge of the subject to give you a complete answer. Best bet would be to Google or grab a load of books on the subjects (be prepared for the maths).

Either way, we're massively railroading Jambo's thread

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll