corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What to do with troublesome dog.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What to do with troublesome dog.
Stuart H

User status: Offline
19th Dec 14 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have been told already aggression leads to more aggression from the dog so that's not the answer.

Going to give it a try dealing with him.
It was a random dog we seen on gumtree yes. Got papers for the mum and dad plus we seen them. He was the last in the litter to go so possibly the runt of the litter.

Going to try baby gates at the doors keep him from going into the room as this is the only time he really shows aggression is when he's in bed. Put his bed next to ours for him to sleep at as well see how it goes.

With the mrs being 37 weeks pregnant she was finding it pretty hard to keep a constant eye on him. He can start going walks as of today so hopefully that will calm him down some as well.
Ian W

19th Dec 14 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would of thought one think about the consequences of having a dog you don't trust around a new born would be enough to make the decision tbh.
nathy_87

19th Dec 14 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The dog's not walking round the house now is it? Had to put my girlfriend's dog in a cage after her operation for a good few weeks, maybe that'll help.
baza31

19th Dec 14 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No matter which way you look at it the dog has to go . What spaniel is it ? They are usually a friendly breed . No one will take it on and pay a grand when u can go but a pup for £500 that doesn't want to tear your arm off . Try family or friend ? End of day it's an animal , I have a dog that was nuts and it took 8 years for him to calm down . He's great now but no way would I have had my kid around him . Even now I try keep them apart . One yank of his ear/tail and it would be disastrous
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Dec 14 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who said anything about aggression?

Reason he is biting when you go upstairs is that's his part of the house and you're an intruder.

Same with the possessiveness.

Can definitely be trained out. Question is whether you want to try in that short time scale. And risk not getting there.
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Dec 14 at 11:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree or disagree, you can't argue with the results this guy gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTxSrfWYjW0
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

19th Dec 14 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The dog hasn't got to go.

Just depends how much time/money you want to invest in getting him being fine again.
Stuart H

19th Dec 14 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to give it a shot as got quite a bond with him so would rather keep him.
Jimbothebarbarian

19th Dec 14 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When my little ones came home I plonked them down in the car seat/baby carrier thing in the middle of the front room and let the dog have a sniff and a looksie. Dog has never bothered since.
Eck
Premium Member

19th Dec 14 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
The dog has just had a big operation and is more than likely in some pain and will be a bit defensive. Talk to your vet about better pain relief.

Of course to fit in with the big bawls on here you better take the mutt outside and beat it to death with you bare hands, like a real mans man.

Big bawls? I fail to see how being concerned for your child makes it big balls?
Eck
Premium Member

19th Dec 14 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
When my little ones came home I plonked them down in the car seat/baby carrier thing in the middle of the front room and let the dog have a sniff and a looksie. Dog has never bothered since.

I'm also pleased that worker for you, but under no circumstances would I do that with a dog that has shown an ounce of aggression, let alone bit me.
random dav
Premium Member

19th Dec 14 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
Fuck it off! Allthough 11months is enough time to have a bond it's not like the dogs been in the family for years just get rid of it let the kennels do what they want with it , the baby is number one priority you cannot risk anything happening due to a "jealous" dog your back only has to be turned a second for it to happen.

My first child is due in February, gave the dogs to my mum don't want them around just incase, I'll get another when the baby's 3-4 years old and the dog will be a pup so can grow up knowing the baby's part of the family not something that is replacing it.

Bullshit attitude. Idiots like you dont deserve a dog in the first place, sick of this throw away attitude with dogs. Why would you even get a dog knowing there is a risk you could bring a child into the world.

Back onto the OP, I'd stick with it, it is suprising how a dogs behavior can change and your way of how you act around the child/dog. You cannot risk leaving it alone with the dog, just like I wouldn't with my dog even though he is the most placid dog I have ever knkw.

WRLFC !

Project cars
nibnob21
Premium Member

19th Dec 14 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Cesar Millan is rubbish. They can edit anything for a tv show, there are clips that aren't on the show that have him getting bitten. He also uses shock collars.

He bases his training on dominance theory, which is incorrect. It stems from one study on wolves in captivity that were from different packs. That in no way translates to a domesticated dog.

Punishment suppresses behaviour, it doesn't eliminate it. Therefore the reason why the dog may be exhibiting certain behaviours hasn't been addressed.

Positive reinforcement training is more effective and results in a happy dog and also tackles the reasons behind why the dog may be behaving that way in the first place.

Dogs communicate through body language, they can't talk. If a dog gets to the point where it is being aggressive, it's because people have missed the signs the dog has been giving to communicate they're not happy with a situation.

The more effective way of changing the dog's behaviour is to give it an alternative way to react and reinforce that behaviour through rewards.

MX5 Project Thread
--ToM--

19th Dec 14 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by random dav
quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
Fuck it off! Allthough 11months is enough time to have a bond it's not like the dogs been in the family for years just get rid of it let the kennels do what they want with it , the baby is number one priority you cannot risk anything happening due to a "jealous" dog your back only has to be turned a second for it to happen.

My first child is due in February, gave the dogs to my mum don't want them around just incase, I'll get another when the baby's 3-4 years old and the dog will be a pup so can grow up knowing the baby's part of the family not something that is replacing it.

Bullshit attitude. Idiots like you dont deserve a dog in the first place, sick of this throw away attitude with dogs. Why would you even get a dog knowing there is a risk you could bring a child into the world.

Back onto the OP, I'd stick with it, it is suprising how a dogs behavior can change and your way of how you act around the child/dog. You cannot risk leaving it alone with the dog, just like I wouldn't with my dog even though he is the most placid dog I have ever knkw.

Iv had my dogs 6 and 8 years so I should of not bought them all those years ago on the off chance I may have a child later in life? Shut up you dick head, certainly not a throw away attitude, and fortunately my mum took them who has a bigger garden than me and more time for them too so it's a win win as I can see them when ever I want too, I was reluctant to kennel them and luckily my mum could take them, a 6 and 8 year bond is a bit different to 11 months, and as allready said if the dogs shown aggression and bitten allready it's a no brainer weather or not too keep it around a new born child.
taylorboosh

19th Dec 14 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im glad your sticking with it - dogs are class
Stuart H

19th Dec 14 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deffo sticking with him give him a chance. Can't resist his face lol
Neo

20th Dec 14 at 02:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep at it, enough homeless dogs out there, dont need another

I rescued my youngest dog from a pikey site when she was about 5 weeks old. Even though she was malnourished and we were hand feeding her, she was a total bitch,aggressive as hell and would attack out other dog. We trled all the sprays, cesar millan bs and after a couple of months (as she was getting bigger) she was getting more dangerous and I was struggling to sort it. We kept at it and in the end found that whenever she was naughty she was put on a lead attached to a radiator in another room - length of time varying by severity of what she did. Over a few weeks she learnt not to act like that. Nowadays she wouldn't hurt anyone.

If you have patience, you can sort it.
Stuart H

20th Dec 14 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad to hear a story where it ended well! Will keep at it cheers
ChazSXi

20th Dec 14 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We rescued and he was a nightmare...my advice...persevere persevere persevere...will all be worth it in then end!
RichR
Premium Member

21st Dec 14 at 02:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never known a springer (pedigree) to bite. They're soft mouthed, hence making good field/gun dogs and also a relatively easy to train breed. I would say the aggression is 100% down to discomfort following the operation.

We had springers all through my childhood and from when my mum was pregnant with me - couldn't have wished for better dogs. One in particular which was the main family pet became really maternal over both me and my sister; never batted an eye lid at anything we did including around food and genuinely couldn't have wished for a better dog.

The only springer I've ever known to bite is one that got canine leukaemia at 2-3 years old but when her owners had kids, it became really protective of the kids - exactly the same as ours did - I wouldn't be surprised if yours doesn't do the same.
SVM 286

21st Dec 14 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Deffo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_lTgUSyB4
nibnob21
Premium Member

21st Dec 14 at 10:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That south park video sums it up though. Cesar Millan is shit and uses terrible techniques, with his theory based on something completely irrelevant.

MX5 Project Thread
Baskey

21st Dec 14 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cesar millan is nether shit or good.

It's just a scripted tv program for entertainment
nibnob21
Premium Member

21st Dec 14 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's shit about it is that regardless of whether it's just a tv show or not, his methods are not beneficial to the dog. So people watch it, take it on board and try and adopt his nonsense methods.

MX5 Project Thread
Stuart H

22nd Dec 14 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone ever had a dog they castrated ? Did it calm them down? Read on the net that doing that calms them down and can sometimes stop aggression problems. Apparently they get frustrated if there's a dog in heat in the area. Next door neighbour has a Rottweiler that's been on heat recently..

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What to do with troublesome dog. 23 database queries in 0.0209260 seconds