corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody

New Poll
  <<  17    18    19    20    21    22    23  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Question for everybody
John

User status: Offline
24th May 06 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only the wheels would be traveliing at double the speed.
The plane would be travelling at whatever take of speed was.
Jules S
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
Originally posted by Sxi04

...can you tell me what would happen if the conveyor underneath the aircraft is moving at five times the speed of the aircraft itself? discounting tyre blowouts and other variables

Yes Mr. 04, the craft would exit the rear of the conveyor unless the engines were powered up to compensate.

No it wouldnt,

the planes wheels would simply spin faster.

The only force that has an ability to move the plane forwards are its propulsion system (the jets)
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres my pretty crappy demo

http://www.poisoft.co.uk/car.zip

Right click save as, rename it car.3gp

Watch how the wood is pulled back i can move the car along just as easily as if it were on solid ground

if you cant see it get Quicktime alternative

http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=1848&s=66
John

24th May 06 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol finally steve
maybe not

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by John]
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and a huge runway!!
DarrenGSi

quote:
Originally posted by John
Even if the conveyor is moving at the speed of the plane the wheels will just spin faster.

why? because of thrust?
what if the plane is going at max speed? if you lot can understand the plane does not have thrust it is already at max speed, same as conveyor belt!
John

There is no point is there.
Paul_J

lol @ your vid steve
Robin
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i still cant see it

email it to me steve
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rename it .3GP rob and install that codec i linked to
SVM 286

24th May 06 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
I'm with Paul here

plane would move down the conveyor belt even if it was on skis

It can't Robin.

The conveyor travels at the SAME speed as the aircraft.

We have to consider that a constant in this case or we are wasting our time mate.
Robin
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seen it now
Jules S
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Its all down to wether the wheels would spin at a higher velocity than the speed of the plane due to thrust

I think, due to the mass and gravitational pull that the two wilol act pretty much the same and as such there will be no velocity of advance; no forward momentum and no take off

if however the two are to be believed as acting seperately then the plane chassis could exceed the pull of the conveyour

I do see understand the supposed reasons why the plane would take off but i disagree that they would occur and even if they did - the likelyhood of reaching the 180mph required for take off is almost impossible

supposing that the plane does break the conveyour speed restrictions - it would need engines capable of supplying twice the required power - as a ground speed of 360 mph would be required for take off in order top equate a 180mph air speed

almost un-achieveable by my estimations

Eloquent again. But you still havent answered/responded to by post.

the conveyor belt exerts near zero force on the plane itself due to the wheel bearings. all force from the belt is used up in turning the wheels. the belt cannot effectively move the plane forwards or backwards. All it can do is make the wheels turn faster.

We therefore have a mass of plane that is effectively disconnected from the conveyor, making the conveyor irrelevant to the question being asked here.
Robin
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm gonna go to heathrow airport, with a model plane, and try to take off on those travellator thingies. then we'll know
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in fairness the question does say that the conveyour is running at the same speed as the plane - not the same speed as the wheels - in which case it wont appear to move - it will be static

I understand the point abotu wheelspin - but this is about the plane speed and conveyour - not the wheel speed
John

24th May 06 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
I'm with Paul here

plane would move down the conveyor belt even if it was on skis

It can't Robin.

The conveyor travels at the SAME speed as the aircraft.

We have to consider that a constant in this case or we are wasting our time mate.

You showed you didn't have a clue with your comment before.
The plane would not go backwards off the conveyor showing you don't understand.
Paul_J

24th May 06 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speed = a measure of distance travelled per hour (time)

Thrust = a Force constant.

these are not comparable.

Simple maths force is higher pushing the plane than the force of resistance on the conveyor and wheels thus plane will move forward.

The conveyor can speed up and up and up as much as it likes, the wheels on the plane will just spin as they are relatively free spinning! hence not putting any more resistance against the thrust of the engine.

If the thing said it matches the force of the plane then yes the plane would be stuck, but it doesn't.

the plane is going to move albeit slightly slower - regardless of what the conveyer is doing. When the plane is actually moving forward fast enough to take off it will, 'NOTE NOT just sitting there with the conveyor spining around and it stationary'
John

24th May 06 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if the conveyor moves at the speed of the plane and not the wheels the wheels will just have to spin faster.
Doens't make a difference.
Robin
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
in fairness the question does say that the conveyour is running at the same speed as the plane - not the same speed as the wheels - in which case it wont appear to move - it will be static

I understand the point abotu wheelspin - but this is about the plane speed and conveyour - not the wheel speed

so are you rephrasing the question to discount the fact that the wheels are turning?

your theory seems to be based on the wheels being fixed
meemawuk

24th May 06 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheels are not mentioned in the question. why is everyone so obsessed.
DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
no it wouldn't as there's no air passing the wings to produce lift - as effectively the plane will be stationary.

who wrote this?

the conveyor and plane are travelling at SAME speed the ENTIRE time so therefore cannot take off
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres my pretty crappy demo

http://www.poisoft.co.uk/car.zip

Right click save as, rename it car.3gp

Watch how the wood is pulled back i can move the car along just as easily as if it were on solid ground

if you cant see it get Quicktime alternative

http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=1848&s=66
John

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenGSi
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
no it wouldn't as there's no air passing the wings to produce lift - as effectively the plane will be stationary.

who wrote this?

the conveyor and plane are travelling at SAME speed the ENTIRE time so therefore cannot take off

Just NO
SVM 286

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

ACCORDING TO YOU WE WOULD STOP DEAD!!

Precisely Steve

If an aircraft with a closing speed of 180 mph landed on a contra-rotating conveyor belt that was running at a speed of 180 mph, the craft would essentially stop dead. Geographically speaking.

In fact, it would need to maintain power to not fall off the back of the belt if the belt did not decrease it's speed.

But we already know that the belt travels at the same speed as the plane, so that isn't a consideration.
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hahahahhahaha this proves how silly your argument it

<<  17    18    19    20    21    22    23  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody 22 database queries in 0.0266440 seconds