corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official 2016 F1 Thread

New Poll
  <<  18    19    20    21    22    23    24  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official 2016 F1 Thread
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Jul 16 at 07:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dull race fosho, though it was good to see a bit of drawn out tension between Lewis and Nico on track for a change. Lewis seemed to have everything in hand, properly nursing his engine and components.

Who'd have thought that tyre munching dumbass who could only drive flat out would be capable of such a thing!

I find myself really looking forward to Spa, Lewis/Merc should really take a new engine there (so they have it for Monza) and there's always a good chance of overtakes, safety cars and weather round Spa. Having Lewis starting from the pitlane there should be fun.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ellis

25th Jul 16 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hockenheim next then 4 weeks to wait until Spa. Might actually get some Sunday jobs done in August

Any comments re Verstappen moves in front of Kimi? All happened very quick but it did appear to me that Max moved twice under braking into T2. He did pull off some perfectly legitimate defensive manoeuvres which were great.
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jul 16 at 07:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think Max was very close to the line, but I don't believe it was investigated at all.

I think he'll divide opinion over the next few years and he WILL be involved in some (more) accidents, but there's no denying that the kid has got a bit of racing genius in there to tap into, can't wait to see how he matures.

Anyone see Guitierrez' tweets after the race? Along the lines of criticising Lewis for being disrespectful (finger ) but that was apparently an edit, and it started out along the lines of calling Lewis an "English Cunt"

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ellis

25th Jul 16 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was an index finger, more of a point than a gesture IMO. Stewards clearly agreed with Lewis so not sure what Gutierrez has got to moan about.

Max with the proper Red Bull at Spa this year should be a joy to watch.
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jul 16 at 08:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A Couple other thoughts from Sunday:

JB's radio situation really angered me, any long time readers of these F1 threads know that I'm not a JB fan - so there's no bias going on, that rule needs to die quickly. F1 is being laughed at from the outside...

Palmer Talk about hero to zero, maybe when daddy stops funding this hobby we'll get some cheaper trackdays in the UK

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ellis

25th Jul 16 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed re radio regs. Becoming utterly outrageous and the FIA don't know themselves quite what they are imposing.

Is there anything more tragic than a pay driver yes, Palmer won GP2 but when I see Stoffel sitting out, it makes me frustrated. Vandoorne already has an F1 championship point as well
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jul 16 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you hang around GP2 for long enough you'll eventually be a champion I guess

I see GP2 and GP3 as fantastic formulas for identifying the up and coming Lewis Hamiltons or Max Verstappens, but anybody who loiters around in mediocrity for a few years before scraping a few wins and maybe the championship is unlikely to set the F1 grid on fire.

I'm happy to be proven wrong though of course.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
whitter45

25th Jul 16 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agree there Kyle

I think teh Verstappen moves were on the brink of being a double move but at least the stewards let them race

He is certainly one to watch for the future but need to ensure he is managed correctly - which he appears to be at the moment
whitter45

26th Jul 16 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

interesting

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36891829
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jul 16 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They could have at least demanded some F1 rule changes too

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
whitter45

26th Jul 16 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
They could have at least demanded some F1 rule changes too

like he can only communicate with them via Radio messages but not tell him exactly what he needs to do.........
Ellis

26th Jul 16 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interested to see how this one plays out. I assume he'll just pay the ransom.
Ellis

26th Jul 16 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If he doesn't pay and she dies, I hope his mrs gives him a drive through penalty
Ben G

28th Jul 16 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to punch Jolyon Palmers dad square in the face. He always has a stupid expression on his face whenever the camera is on him. Something like this:

Ellis

28th Jul 16 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A facial expression commensurate with the inordinate sum of money he's paying Renault for his son to drive an absolute average F1 car.

I've heard rumours a practice session is £250k

Does anyone know what sponsors Jolyon and/or his father have backing them? I believe Jolyon has something to do with Bell & Ross watches but could be mistaken, there must be others too.
Stu_22

28th Jul 16 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't Palmer try and set up a rival series to f1 where the cars were the same but the teams were countries.

Also going way way back wasn't Palmer pundit with Tony Jardine on bbc old school f1
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Jul 16 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His Dad owns/runs MSV and hence a fair few British race circuits, so not sure how much of it is self funded from that.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Tiger

28th Jul 16 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu_22
Didn't Palmer try and set up a rival series to f1 where the cars were the same but the teams were countries.

There was A1GP years back, a lad I went to school with - Robbie Kerr raced for The Great British team.
Tiger

28th Jul 16 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dunno if anyone's mentioned it but the halo has been ruled out for next year.
Ellis

29th Jul 16 at 07:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
I dunno if anyone's mentioned it but the halo has been ruled out for next year.

Whether you agree with it or not, this has to be the best decision. They hadn't even got close to agreeing it's technical specification; it would've looked like a horrible retrofit / Halfords sort of affair by the time it was agreed and rush fitted to a 2017 car. At least this way it gives the viewer time to adjust to the 2017 formula aesthetics with the halo to follow in 2018 I would imagine.
Steve
Premium Member

29th Jul 16 at 08:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worst idea ever. Is there even one documented case where the halo could be proven to have prevented a death?
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Jul 16 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Worst idea ever. Is there even one documented case where the halo could be proven to have prevented a death?

There are a few, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Surtees is one of the more recent.

The Halo seems to be targeted entirely at loose wheels, it almost certainly wouldn't help a Massa situation in which a small component is bouncing around and not sure it would have done anything to help Jules either

I'm all for safety and avoiding silly deaths, but I think the Halo is a bit of a stretch compared to things like helmets, harnesses and HANS devices which safe lives almost every weekend.

I really think they should just skip it and put the development into full canopies instead.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ellis

29th Jul 16 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, what's the end game here then. Are the FIA shifting to end the era of open cockpit racing formulas? Seems silly to implement a cockpit in F1 yet the junior series GP2/GP3/F3 etc etc continue to run with open cockpits.
Ellis

29th Jul 16 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Christian Horner and Brundle arguing over track limits after FP1
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Jul 16 at 13:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Much bigger news than Halo (IMO), but radio comms are back

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  18    19    20    21    22    23    24  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official 2016 F1 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0182312 seconds