corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  19    20    21    22    23    24    25  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
SXI - Matt

User status: Offline
22nd May 13 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good to see so much OCD and detail going in to this sort of thing shows how well looked after it is. I assume you do get out and about in it regularly and give it a good kick in? Think a track day would be massive fun in this, although it would scare me taking my pride and joy out as you never know if some one would plough into you.

Scares me ever buying some thing like this (a project) as i fear I'd get far to carried away and end up spending to much £££ on it

[Edited on 22-05-2013 by SXI - Matt]
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd May 13 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Matt, appreciate the comments

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
looks OK to me, downpipe looks exactly as it should? cant go wrong with Hayward and Scott, top quality kit.

Cheers Barnshaw, but I think my downpipe doesn't match the rest of the kit... the bolt holes don't seem to line up.

Let me try to explain:

This connector from what I can gather is supposed to house one of those donut gasket thingies, which then connects to the centre section using those spring loaded bolts.

Problem is, this end of the second cat pipe is the only end which (roughly) lines up with the bolt holes on the downpipe which forces me to flip the pipe around (as pictured).

I say (roughly) because even then, the bolt holes would require a bit of forceful engineering (and smaller bolts) to make it line up properly...

The centre section and the second cat pipe all line up perfectly... I just don't think my DP is right

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

22nd May 13 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it a case of just joining them together or is it joining them together at the correct angle?

If its just joining them thats pretty easy to sort.
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd May 13 at 10:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the angles are just about right... seems to be the flange and bolt holes between the downpipe and the horizontal second cat pipe.

I've just had a scurry about under the car, and I've noted where all the hangers are. That's told me that my second cat pipe does indeed need flipping so it looks more like the following:

The hole for the lambda sensor has now flipped sides, my current setup has the lambda sensor on t'other side but that's an easy change... it's just a plug on a wire!

This now means that my bolt holes between downpipe and second cat pipe are WAY off.

This photo has the right hand bolt hole (out of shot) all lined up... look how far out the left one is!

So, either I "make it fit" with some kind of fabricated adaptor, or I try to find the correct downpipe.

I've got till the 1st June to sort it either way.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

22nd May 13 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get the correct downpipe mate, not worth trying to make things fit. could just cause you time and inconvenience, new downpipe is probably a hundred quid? then sell this one
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd May 13 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
get the correct downpipe mate, not worth trying to make things fit. could just cause you time and inconvenience, new downpipe is probably a hundred quid? then sell this one

I think £200 from H&S new, I paid £100 for this one second hand marketed as a H&S one. It may be genuine but an older fitment or something, either way I should be able to punt it on easily enough.

I need to make sure whatever I buy/order next is right - otherwise I'll miss my appointment to get it all fitted/mapped!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd May 13 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmmm annoying. I just called Hayward and Scott and asked them for the measurement between bolt holes on the downpipes they make/sell.

The measurements he gave me match the measurements on the downpipe which I've already got... so buying a new one would just waste time/money.

I might just throw my toys out, order a full system from one place brand new and sell these bits off...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd May 13 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I might go for this, hence converting my system into a 3piece rather than 4.

http://www.haywardandscott.com/subaru/impreza-new-age/subaru-impreza-one-piece-open-mouth-downpipe-3-2-5.html

Since my issue is the join between downpipe and second cat pipe, this will fix that full stop.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

22nd May 13 at 11:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Modifying that flange to get the system to fit is easy.

Just make sure when the two flanges meet the iner bore lines up correctly, mark out the outline of the smaller flange (downpipe) and mark out the holes, drill the bigger flange to suit an m10 bolt and jobs a gud'un i would add some nord locks just to stop the bolts coming loose but id reccomend them on any vibrating parts.

Make up some gaskets with the stuff i used and it will be fine..
Wrighty

22nd May 13 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hold on whats the diameter of the downpipe? and its suppose to be H&S
and whats the diameter of your centre? and what make is this also?

that downpipes been tapered down you can see where its been welded, common thing to get a bigger downpipe to fit a different centre like a 2.5' or standard flange

are you aiming for 3' all the way through? or just 3' downpipe to 2.5 centre?
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd May 13 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bore of all three pieces is 2.5", they were sold as that and I have double checked with my measuring device.

I agree you can see the downpipe tapering down, but that's just tapering down to 2.5". The bore matches, it's just the flange which doesn't... annoyingly.

I was aiming for 2.5" all the way through. If I go the route of replacing both the downpipe and second pipe I guess the taper would be more gradual, only becoming 2.5" when the centre starts rather than a foot or two closer to the turbo as it currently would be in the second pipe.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

22nd May 13 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id buy new and sell on
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd May 13 at 08:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been back and forth with emails and photographs to H&S and come to the conclusion that the DP is for a 2.5l 2006-07 car.

I've ordered the 2.0 equivalent so hopefully that'll sort it and I can absorb some of the loss on ebay.

If my new order is the same as my current one, I'll return it and swap for the "all in one" downpipe.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

23rd May 13 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When should it arrive then?
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd May 13 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tomorrow, but no rush... car ain't off in till Saturday 1st.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

23rd May 13 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Modding these is a slippery slope

uphill for performance
downhill for your wallet

Great fun cars though

I have a 'Revolution' full system on my car. Very different noise compared to most - not the chav burrble you associate with Imprezas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znVMwNWPCkI

Cant remember the headers i'm running just now, but they arent equal length.

Barnshaw - +40lbft from just changing to equal length headers. Pull the other one!
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd May 13 at 16:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're not kidding, although I've skirted around the big money modifications so far.

I don't like to call it modifying, I keep telling myself that I'm "restoring" the car... only uprating things which needed replacing anyway.

Clearly that's bullshit, but it helps me sleep at night.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd May 13 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speaking of spending money, all my other bits arrived...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

23rd May 13 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
Modding these is a slippery slope

uphill for performance
downhill for your wallet

Great fun cars though

I have a 'Revolution' full system on my car. Very different noise compared to most - not the chav burrble you associate with Imprezas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znVMwNWPCkI

Cant remember the headers i'm running just now, but they arent equal length.

Barnshaw - +40lbft from just changing to equal length headers. Pull the other one!

I am serious, I had it mapped tweeked when i had headers fitted, made only a couple of bhp more but gained that torque, mapped on same dyno by JGM, made a massive difference
AK

23rd May 13 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh, ok... so the re-map would have made more torque on the normal headers too?

Also - was it a swap from OE to larger tubular equal?
Norcy91

23rd May 13 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are these as bad on petrol as people make out? just been looking at them and you can get mint condition ones under £7000, but will it cost me another £7000 a year to run it!?
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th May 13 at 05:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Yeeeeeeeeesssssss

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

24th May 13 at 06:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how you drive them... Problem is, and im speaking of my evo which is basically the same stamp, they give you confidence because they are so easy to drive... So you drive fast by accident
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th May 13 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't find the Subaru particularly sensitive to driving style, it's just bad all the time

I could swing my CTR between 22 and 35 (my missus saw 40 regularly in it...) but this seems pretty much nailed down.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

24th May 13 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that a machine polisher I can see? The Clio needs de-badging.

Those brakes better get delivered today!

<<  19    20    21    22    23    24    25  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0240300 seconds