corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » E46 M3

New Poll
  <<  20    21    22    23    24    25    26  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author E46 M3
Graham88

User status: Offline
5th Jun 12 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was gonna say most people just go for fibreglass. I'd love to strip mine out completely as the difference was insane, easily 100kgs to lose in doorcards, sound systems etc but I like the luxury too much
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so whens the next track day once its back together. Love to see it out on the track and have a cheeky passenger lap
taylorboosh

5th Jun 12 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its taking ages bet you miss it like mad
Graham88

5th Jun 12 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well there is a Performance BMW evening on 26th June at Brands, considering doing that as a shakedown for the car before the abuse it's due this summer. Not bothered about Brands but it's 5 minutes from me & the guy building my car is doing it too, so I am tempted for that reason! More than welcome to come down and get a passenger ride mate

Today has been the worse day I think John, actually missed it like crazy today, going to get an update tomorrow. The bank holiday might have delayed me getting it back yet another week

[Edited on 05-06-2012 by Graham88]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Presume that's a BMW only track day!
Graham88

5th Jun 12 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is mate, although my mates saying he can get a discounted day at Brands for £80 on 20th June, but he's going to find out about the discount code and if it's limited to a certain number of people

Torn between price vs magazine coverage now

[Edited on 05-06-2012 by Graham88]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 21:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well if he can get it for 80 I'd be well up for it and book it straight away. Just let me know!
Graham88

5th Jun 12 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will do mate
daymoon
Premium Member

14th Jun 12 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any updates on engine yet?
Graham88

14th Jun 12 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Parts delivery holding everything up, the few bits I have decided to uprate and they are holding everything up. ARP Bolts & Lightened Flywheel taking ages to come through, can't do anything until the ARP bolts are here
SetH

14th Jun 12 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's it my son, looking after my future investment I see
Graham88

25th Jul 12 at 03:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got it back now

Well of course after finally getting the ARP bolts to him on Thursday and the flywheel posted Thursday it should have arrived next day on Friday. But it arrived late Tuesday. Screw postage companies. So I didn't manage to get to the BMW trackday or to my mates funeral today which I would have loved my car to be there for as he shared the passion for cars and bikes, but it wasn't to be.

Only positive part to today was receiving these pictures:

It's close.

It has taken a while but thats thanks to a slow head rebuild, postage taking ages and Demon Tweeks being the fail of all fails!!

But I cannot fault Martyn @ Scott's Performance. Very pleased with the work. The engine is silent now compared to before, there was clearly a few issues with it so in a roundabout way I am glad I was forced to do loads of work to it as I am very happy now. Picks up really quickly presumably due to the flywheel, but I have been driving a Diesel Astra for 2 months so the power is taking a bit of getting used too again!

I kinda forgot to tell them I had disconnected the plugs to the fuel pumps to prevent anybody trying to start the car and potentially cause more damage (the damage was caused already but I didn't know that at the time) and it took a trip to the petrol station to get more fuel, lots of swearing (I imagine) and fault finding then when they took the fuel pump covers off it was unplugged.... doh on my part!! But when they plugged them in it started straight up

And I picked it up this afternoon, loving driving it again

Some damaged parts

Due to badly installed cams....

No cam damage thankfully.

I love M3's again.

And now back to today, I've done 500 miles running in now. It wasn't a serious running in process, reduced revs for 100 miles then gain more revs etc. Just haven't redlined it or really booted it much, done a few country lane drives to go up and down gears etc rather than just run it in on the motorway. Only real engine work was main bearings & the rings on 1 piston so it wasn't that necessary. Just got to do an oil change now when I get round to it.
Ordered my Geoff Steel Racing Airbox which is in the process of being made and then I'm going to book it in for Alpha N mapping with Evolve and to get my IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor as the CSL box takes out the MAF sensor so it's going to run like shit on the drive up to Luton. Can't wait till it's all done tbh.

http://www.geoffsteelracing.co.uk/parts/details/50

Booked onto Snetterton 300 on 21st August, Donington 31st August & Destination Nurburgring on October 8th. Itching to get back out on track now.
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Jul 12 at 03:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You got a diagnosis on the failure? You mention the cam install, what previous work did it have?
Graham88

25th Jul 12 at 03:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't really get a diagnosis, it was a bit unknown tbh. Martyn said it could just be component failure, the part got hot etc. But there wasn't really any 'lead' to go on as such.
And Thorney previously installed the cams, but apparently wear like that is common on the standard rockers with aftermarket cams, so it's something I will have to ask to be checked when I get valve clearances done I suppose. My cams aren't even that aggressive so I don't know what people do that run aggressive cams...I suppose race engines are being constantly rebuilt so it's not an issue
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Jul 12 at 03:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suppose it does get driven hard so heat etc. is not out of the question.
taylorboosh

25th Jul 12 at 06:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good to see it back mate
BeetleGav

25th Jul 12 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive missed progress on this! glad you have it back buddy!
Bet it felt so good to drive it again
flybikeslee

25th Jul 12 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes!
Nath

25th Jul 12 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice
Graham88

25th Jul 12 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Suppose it does get driven hard so heat etc. is not out of the question.

My biggest problem with it is if that was the case.....how the hell can you stop it happening again

Thanks lads and yeah 2 months without it was pretty painful so it was great to get back in it & it's running better than ever before. The lightened flywheel is fucking noisy but it's made so much difference it's worth it
BeetleGav

25th Jul 12 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we need noisy videos
Graham88

25th Jul 12 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll get some, I wanna do before & afters with standard airbox & aftermarket anyway
SetH

25th Jul 12 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hell yes good to see it back and running!

eagerly await vids
taylorboosh

25th Jul 12 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't believe your spending £1k on an airbox then £££ to be mapped for it
big eck

25th Jul 12 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much did the rebuild cost in the end then???

<<  20    21    22    23    24    25    26  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » E46 M3 23 database queries in 0.0201471 seconds