corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  20    21    22    23    24    25    26  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th May 13 at 09:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
Is that a machine polisher I can see? The Clio needs de-badging.

Those brakes better get delivered today!

It sure is! Got pads n' shit too.

Need this weather to turn around now...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th May 13 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Woo got my new pipe, flange is a good un'

Incase anybody is wondering, this is what two decats look like sat next to a cat.

Will get the "wrong" downpipe on eBay, and get this one heatwrapped now before the service/remap/etc.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

24th May 13 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was wondering a little while back whether the cat was a statue or real

BeetleGav

24th May 13 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha quality
Simon_16v

24th May 13 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle T
Premium Member

24th May 13 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ace. She's a right poser, I think she finds her way onto a few of those shots.

She's even stood in that window on the photo we've got in the estate agents for selling the house

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Christopher

24th May 13 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brillaint!
3CorsaMeal

24th May 13 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cat is wondering if the house is next to be decatted, deffo hates the car
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th May 13 at 18:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car and myself would both be leaving before that cat. There's an order

Had a crack at the wrapping. Misted it all down with a water bottle and then got to work. Arm feels like it's gonna drop off, it's REALLY tight.

Only issue is the stainless ties I got from eBay, they feel a bit flimsy to be honest when tightened up. I don't want my effort (and the cost of the wrap) to go wasted due to some naff wraps so I've used normal cable ties for now while I source something a bit more heavy duty.

I read about using stainless jubilee clips for wrapping, so may consider that.

Happy with the effort though

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

24th May 13 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take the plastic cable tie off before it melts.

Kyle T
Premium Member

24th May 13 at 22:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not checked the forecast but I'm pretty sure it won't be a hundred degrees in my shed this weekend

The ties are on just until I replace the steel ties which aren't tight enough for my liking, they will be off long before the pipes are on the car.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

24th May 13 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a cheap cv boot clip tool with ties. They are great and do up really tight with the tool. Like a metal clip with an area you crush to make tight.
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th May 13 at 22:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I bought a cheap cv boot clip tool with ties. They are great and do up really tight with the tool. Like a metal clip with an area you crush to make tight.

Yep I thought of using similar, saw one in action when my driveshaft fell out of my gearbox

Gonna go round some places early next week and get either one of those, or some locking wire pliers I think.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

25th May 13 at 01:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use wire lock if no ties
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th May 13 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye that's the plan, I figure obtaining lockwire pliers will stand more chance of repeat use than a CV boot clip kit thingy.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Seany

26th May 13 at 06:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used metal banding straps last time. Kinda like the blue pallet strapping stuff but stainless. My local builders gave me a shot of the ratchet to do it. It never came loose and looked nice and neat too.
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th May 13 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Cross posted from GC.]

I've been collecting bits for my early summer clean for a while now. The car has been carrying the dregs of a coat of Megs Ultimate Paste Wax for months now, and was well overdue a full strip, clean, polish and protect.

The wheels will be getting neglected, purely because they were powdercoated and waxed up to shit only a couple of weeks ago.

Some before shots first, after a bit of spirited summer driving yesterday I picked up some victims:

Rear end Crud:

One of the couple of scratches I'd be attacking today. It's a slight backwards 'C' shape near my forearm reflection:

First up I decided to debadge 'SUBARU'. My mitt keeps catching the lettering, and some of them were barely hanging on... so good excuse to try the look.

Once the boot lid was dealt with, onto the cleaning. Opened up by spunking a load of Megs bug/tar remover to soften up my roadkill from yesterday:

Foam up next, ValetPro PH Neutral stuff... and first photobomb from Ben's mate:

Whilst dwelling, went around panel gaps, badges, keyholes, etc with my soft brush and some APC:

Mixed up my shampoo for the day, Dodo Juice Born to be Mild laced with some Fairy Liquid to cut out the remaining wax.

Onto rinsing off the foam, and my ritual "let's pretend to be an F1 Aero engineer" for 5mins:

All the bug splatter long gone and not touched the car with a sponge/mitt yet:

All shampoo'd down with fuel cap, car smelling like Ainsley Harriot's kitchen and boot and door shuts all cleaned too:

After drying off, I went with the Auto-Finesse Iron-X equivalent. It smells the same, works the same but the trigger sucks ass, was a proper pain to apply. For anyone not clued up, it goes on clear and reacts red/pink when it dissolves out flakes of iron. These flakes normally appear like little rust spots in your paintwork.

You can see the pink flaring up near the bottom left of the photo. I didn't take any shots of the prolific areas (wheel arches, sills, etc) as I was in a hurry to get it sprayed off before it baked on. I'm paranoid about this stuff, and for good reason too - I saw the scene out of that Volcano film re-enacted several times as little flied landed on the Iron-X and proceeded to watch their legs dissolve beneath them

Rinsed off once again, then time for clay. I went with Megs clay with the Megs QD as a lube. No photo of the "dirty claybar look" as I forgot, but it was pretty clean tbh. Testament I guess to my cleaning regime.

Rinsed/Dryed for the last time... looking a bit cleaner:

I had one more job to do before the F1 came on, which was to tape up ready for machine polishing:

I remember when people paid money for headlight eyebrows like that, most of them a worse colour match than my attempt.

I went in and watched the F1 until they redflagged it, then decided to pause and finish the car first. Came back outside and got to work on the machine polishing.

I was using the Werkstatt Acrylic Kit today, with the Prime acting as my finishing polish. I covered the car with a 3M finishing pad with the Prime, my main concern wasn't correcting swirls simply because I didn't have any. The car was professionally polished back in November and my cleaning has been pretty strict since.

This is the only pic I got of my polisher/pad combo

I worked panel at a time, two passes at '2' speed setting and then two passes at '5' speed setting to break the polish down into a clearish haze. Once I'd done the car like that, I switched to a 3M polishing pad (slightly more aggressive) with some Sonus Restore stuff to attack my one-off scratches.

This is a shot of the backwards 'C' scratch I showed earlier. It's not gone, but it no longer catches the light and is quite well hidden:

Once I treated the car's very few wounds, time for a photo:

Oh, you may also notice my fog covers are de-stickered now. I've got some new ones on order, a well placed stonechip ruined one of my old ones so will replace those on tue/wed and refinish the fog covers once done.

Even photobombing my reflections...

It was now time to work on the next stage of the Werkstatt kit, the "Jett". This is a liquid synthetic wax/sealant which you spray on, then work into the paint and buff off in one action. It's so easy to apply, should have multiple coats with 30mins cure time between. Once the first coat was on, I polished up the glass, exhaust trim and blacked the tyres whilst waiting for the 30mins...

Another coat of Jett went on, followed by another 30mins then finished off with the final part of the Werkstatt kit "Glos" which is a QD type spray. For the next couple of months I will simply be washing, drying and Glos'ing.

Here's what I'd used:

Then some results:

Interior tomorrow...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
M Sutton

26th May 13 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mint!!! Looks stunning mate, really enjoy your updates
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th May 13 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate, still really impressed with the bodywork condition of this car.

Not a ding on it (touches wood) and the few scratches it's got are now well hidden

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Norcy91

27th May 13 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love this! Looks amazing mate

Just wish I had deep enough pockets to get one like it
Chris C

27th May 13 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love it ! Miss mine like mad still
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th May 13 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did my interior today, used my all-in-one wonder product (aerospace protectant 303) on the interior plastics (I also used this stuff yesterday on the exterior black bits, window seals, etc).

It goes on glossy but once dried it's got a nice matte look to it, perfect.

Shampoo'd and vac'd the mats and then vac'd the seats, doing my best football pitch lawn mower impression on the rears...

I hate my mats, my car came with three genuines and a fucked driver one. Subaru don't make/sell them anymore for these cars so I'm stuck with third party ones. The pile on these ones looks cheap, and clings to (white) cat hair like a bastard. I need to shop around for some better quality ones.

Gave the engine bay a quick wipe down with more aerospace stuff, nothing too severe in here. Did some autosol on the intercooler surround too.

Before:

After:

Gave the car another quick wipe down with the Werkstatt Glos, just because I wanted to... and another cheeky photo...

[Edited on 28-05-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
N7 THD

28th May 13 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very well looked after - lovely car!
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th May 13 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks, I do try

Postie brought me a couple of presents today; decals for the fog covers and locking wire with pliers.

I've decided to hold off on the fog cover decals for now, I'm going to take the passenger side to a paint shop whilst the car is getting MOT'd, serviced and mapped to get this repaired:

It's one of the last remaining blemishes on the bodywork, so it needs sorting

I did however get the heatwrapping sorted with the locking wire. Easy to use, and really effective:

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Jun 13 at 13:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car dropped off at Richard Henry's with all the bits, so I'm carless.

Again

Remap and collection on Wednesday

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  20    21    22    23    24    25    26  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0240529 seconds