corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  21    22    23    24    25    26    27  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Wrighty

User status: Offline
2nd Jun 13 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice heat wrapping looks a tidy job
broster
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been following this, you seem to have learnt a fair bit all the way, good effort.
Car looks really tidy, interested to see the results of the map after aswell
belton

2nd Jun 13 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
Been following this, you seem to have learnt a fair bit all the way, good effort.

This! The attention to detail makes the thread so much better
Be sure to do some videos driving back Wednesday
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
nice heat wrapping looks a tidy job

Cheers, it feels proper solid when trying to "untwist it" with your hand, so on nice and tight. Simon @ Richard Henry commented on it, said it was a good DIY Job!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by belton
quote:

This! The attention to detail makes the thread so much better
Be sure to do some videos driving back Wednesday

Thanks Gents, I've learned a shed load - not just about executing jobs but understanding the impact of upgrading certain components or changing certain parameters. My house is currently on the market, hopefully when it sells I'll get a place with a garage, and more space for auto-tinkering so can start taking on more adventurous jobs.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

2nd Jun 13 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd love my garage Kyle wasted on me though as I don't have the time or money to fix it up let alone fiddle with a nice car in there
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure I would! Ultimately looking for a double garage but probably a few years off of that yet, will be renting a house for a year or two with a single most likely. Would settle for a car port and a shed after my current facilities

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

2nd Jun 13 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've done a cracking job mate with what you've got
broster
Premium Member

3rd Jun 13 at 19:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Double garage just seems to mean car gets burried under more shit than a single IMO!!
Christopher

3rd Jun 13 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle i meant to say to you but completely forgot, i painted my arches in the end with that hammerite wax oil stuff i think its the same as yours and i meant to ask are stones getting stuck all in your arches Mine is
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Jun 13 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
You've done a cracking job mate with what you've got

That means a lot Cheers, hopefully I won't get bored of this car any time soon - but my ultimate goal is a kit-car once I've got the space for it!

quote:
Double garage just seems to mean car gets burried under more shit than a single IMO!!

I'm a little worried about that, I see so many wasted garages at friends/families' houses - I need to keep on top of mine from day one!

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher
Kyle i meant to say to you but completely forgot, i painted my arches in the end with that hammerite wax oil stuff i think its the same as yours and i meant to ask are stones getting stuck all in your arches Mine is

Hmmm, I'm not sure - I've not really noticed. I'll get my head stuck under my arches when I get the car back on Wednesday to check!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The big day today! Find out my MOT result, have car remapped and have car back in my possession.

Got up bright and early( + 5 minutes) and wandered down to the train station just to see my train leave as I walked into the station.

Had breakfast at the station and waited the 30mins for the next train. I then managed to buy a return instead of a single, £3.20 wasted.

An hour later I'm in Bradford and walking towards Richard Henry Motorsport, only to find Andrew Carr (the mapper) is on his way back from Hull as he's just had a few days at the Nurburgring!

Did a bit of shit kicking whilst waiting, and chatted to a Scoobynet member who had come to have his 450bhp+ car mapped back to VPower only instead of his current 20% Meth map which was doing his head in, and probably giving his whole family cancer due to a dining room full of Methanol barrels

The bossman showed up (not the mapper) and handed me my MOT results, passed with flying colours and not a single advisory. Oddly though the emissions profile was suspiciously similar to that of a 1999 Ford Mondeo

He talked me through the work, the exhaust parts were all a brilliant fit and no drama along the way. Only part not done was the pollen filter, as it hadn't arrived yet.

Had a look at some customer cars whilst waiting for the mapper, some tidy, some not, but all pretty cool in their own way!

Close to 500bhp apparently, on standard brakes Turbocharged 1.8

Imported from Japan (of all places). Mint bodywork:

Some inspiration for John maybe?

The "Meth" Car. I quite like the reverse scoop, and may consider one if/when I go FMIC if only to stop my bonnet trying to smack me in the face when at speed.

Eventually Mr Carr arrived for the mapping.

All hooked up:

Andrew with his laptop, making sure I don't blow the welds on the intake.

I then had a long chat with Andrew, discussed what I wanted from the car and discussed it's history. Believe it or not, he popped the bonnet and said "did a guy called Gary used to have this, an old guy into his Fords?" after I confirmed the identity of the previous owner, he explained he recognised it from the polished intercooler

Andrew asked if I wanted to drive during the mapping, but I know that I work better without a spectator - so I left him to it.

Hour or so later, he came rumbling back into the estate and proclaimed everything to be spot on. He explained the process in idiots terms for me, and basically said that the AFR had become leaner as expected - because the car was breathing better. He upped the fuelling to match, and reckons his work gained me 15-20bhp. I'm not fussed about that in the slightest, the mapping was mainly to clear the engine management light as a result of going decat and make sure everything was still healthy.

The boost solenoid I bought has had a positive impact too apparently, my benchmark boost of 22PSI was fine in the higher gears, but I wasn't hitting it in 2nd/3rd. With the new solenoid - it's now holding 22PSI in all gears. Even reverse

Shortly after the map, the pollen filter arrived - got fitted and I was on my way.

Immediate reaction from me was "HOLY SHIT THIS IS FAST" but then I have been driving a 1.2 corsa since Saturday After settling back down, the car feels like it's spooling up both quicker and easier and is definately pulling harder through the gears. I won't even attempt to estimate a BHP figure, but it's nicer to drive for sure

As for the sounds, it's fucking ace It's a bit louder, but a totally different type of sound. The turbo is more vocal now, and the exhaust note has got a slightly metallic tone to it - I'm guessing this is brand new exhaust sections reverberating different to something with 8years of coke on it(?)

I spoke to Andrew about possible "next steps" for my car. He reckons my turbo could give a bit more with a FMIC, headers, uppipe and CAI, he even referenced the backbox as a possible chokepoint. Best case scenario from my turbo is 360bhp, and thats with probably 1.5-2k worth of parts. Alternatively I could spend 1.5k on a turbo and jump straight to 380 with scope to do 400-420 with some of the other bits.

On the way home, I stopped off at my local paintshop to collect my fog cover - incredible colour match considering he didn't have the rest of the car as a reference point and couldn't blend it in.

Got home, did what I do best - washed the car

Then fitted the fog cover decals. I couldn't find an official "positioning guide" so I decided on an arbitrary cental location and just made sure it matched on each side. Used tape as a marker:

Rough positioning mocked up:

Done:

Annoyingly, not perfect. Got a few bits with creases as the fog cover is curved and I couldn't for the life of me work out how to apply the decal smoothly without it "bubbling" sort of thing. Fucking hate stickers.

I'll order some more, and see if I can find a professional sticker sticker-on-er locally or something.

"That'll Do" aren't words I like to use on the car

Old Bits:

Reckon this was blowing?

Oh and I decided to be a bit of a chav, Hope this video works!

[Edited on 05-06-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 19:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't work :/.
Great result. I really like this car. Done properly and looked after properly. No corners cut. Proper car
Do you think there is that much of a difference in feeling driving wise, not that I'm questioning you just wondering if its sort of a placebo effect?
taylorboosh

5th Jun 13 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes the vid does work, sounds good

Ooohhhh yea fucker ill show you an your poor mans evo too lol
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just uploading now to photobucket, so will replace the link in a mo!

Thanks for the comments Flaffy, as for the placebo - it's almost certainly a factor. The new noise, and fact that I've not driven it for a few days makes it difficult to really know the difference.

The earlier/easier spoolup is definately consistent though, obviously a RR graph will prove it either way as I've still got graphs from November showing when peak boost is, so should make for a fair comparison even if BHP/Torque figures are questionable.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

5th Jun 13 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still sounds good, broooom broom pop broom pop
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Yes the vid does work, sounds good

Ooohhhh yea fucker ill show you an your poor mans evo too lol

A couple of Evo's there today, all rough as fuck though Felt quite sorry for one guy, he'd just bought an FQ320 and brought it to RH for a check over - and it was a bit of a nail.

I seem to remember some people having more success than others last time I posted a video from Google+, so here's a photobucket one link too.

Oh, and for the record I did not specifically request for pops to be "mapped in" He offered it as a service, and said it was annoying as hell - especially whilst parking in a supermarket or something like that

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

5th Jun 13 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im interested in the underseal too
chris_uk
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your going to have to take me out for a spin kyle.. never been in a scooby before.
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
your going to have to take me out for a spin kyle.. never been in a scooby before.

It's a date

To answer the underseal question, I've just been out and stuck my head under with a torch. There's a bit of sandy dust type stuff on the underseal but no stones or anything. I reckon some light agitation would be enough to clean it all off.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

6th Jun 13 at 08:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh good im excited!

chris_uk
Premium Member

7th Jun 13 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sat here patient waiting for you to tell me your on your way... but you never do
Simon_16v

7th Jun 13 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle and his mate have it booked in at RS Tuning for a dyno run on the 29th with the ClioSport lot, should come down Chris and you can take me for a spin too

[Edited on 07-06-2013 by Simon_16v]
chris_uk
Premium Member

7th Jun 13 at 22:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea could do
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Jun 13 at 22:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet, just need to work on my Renault disguise now

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Jun 13 at 22:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there a tunnel near RSTuning? I've got an itch that needs a scratch... in a tunnel... With the windows down

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  21    22    23    24    25    26    27  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0215878 seconds