corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Top Gear

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Top Gear
Robbo

User status: Offline
25th Jul 05 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just needs a bit more power
mk4_astra

25th Jul 05 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
In that article in the paper it said the VXR was much better than the golf not only in speed but handling too.

Yet top gear slag it off? to be honest if it's not german on top gear it usually gets a slagging, they love their Mercs, BMW's, VW's and audis.

Paul J

agreed, this is copied from that link someone put up in the thread which wasnt written by jeremy clarkson....
"this new Vauxhall Astra VXR is no ordinary hatch dressed up with the requisite skirts and spoilers to promise a level of performance that the hardware beneath has no chance of keeping. In fact, given what I now know it can do, I think it’s rather discreet.

I have been going to the Nürburgring for more than a decade and know that very few road cars feel anything less than absurd there. You need, at the least, something of the calibre of a Lotus Elise, Caterham Seven or a Porsche 911 for the journey even to be worthwhile. And yet this little Astra, this shopping car for heaven’s sake, felt as at home on the Nürburgring as most Astras do on the M25. Its rat-like agility turned what I’d presumed would be a fool’s errand into perhaps the most entertaining time I’d spent in a front-wheel-drive car since I sold my Golf GTI 20 years ago.

Back then my Golf had 112bhp and I could only imagine how fast my then dream car, the Ferrari 308 GTB, would have been with its 240bhp. And now I know the answer is about as fast as this Astra, whose 2 litre four-cylinder engine produces as much power now as the Ferrari’s 3 litre V8 did then. Vauxhall says the Astra will hit 60mph from rest in 6.2sec and reach 152mph all out, numbers that the 308 would struggle to match. "

Robbo

25th Jul 05 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny cos not a single magazine etc has stated that it handles better
Paul_J

25th Jul 05 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Robbo please GTF - just because your buying the GTi

Ok you like the Gti, that's all that matters... end of.
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Jul 05 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Apart from this one

Jamie Walby

25th Jul 05 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1-0 Ian!
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Jul 05 at 19:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I think the single most impressive aspect of this frankly astonishing new hatch is the fact that the engine, for all its power, is far from its best feature. What really makes this such an outstanding driver's car is the way it tackles a really difficult road.

And these guys...

http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/driving-impressions-2005/V/vauxhall/astra/vxr-2.html
jr

25th Jul 05 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

problem is no one here bar myself, mattb and robbo have driven the gti i think

i have only driven the tdi and the sri ? (what ever one has the turbo) and the astra is just not as good as the golf, not comparing sri to gti, but the whole cars in genral

[Edited on 25-07-2005 by jr]
mk4_astra

25th Jul 05 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

i wouldnt know as i havnt read them, but you must admit vauxhall has done pretty well to be such a close contender with the best golf gti to date. vauxhall havnt been able to do this since the mk2 astra gte 16v
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Jul 05 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not driven the Golf, which is why I'm not saying its a bad car.
jr

25th Jul 05 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I've not driven the Golf, which is why I'm not saying its a bad car.

i noticed im not saying the astra is a bad car, just the golf is better
jr

25th Jul 05 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mk4_astra
quote:

i wouldnt know as i havnt read them, but you must admit vauxhall has done pretty well to be such a close contender with the best golf gti to date. vauxhall havnt been able to do this since the mk2 astra gte 16v

bets gti is the mk1
Robbo

25th Jul 05 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Robbo please GTF - just because your buying the GTi

Ok you like the Gti, that's all that matters... end of.
Not really, try them both, see what you think Not that Ive driven astra but i dont need to, ive read enough to have confidence in what im getting
Robbo

25th Jul 05 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Apart from this one

I believe their reason was that its cheaper and has more power...

Might I also add that Autocar/What Car (basically same poeple?) gave the GTI 5 stars an the VXR only 4

[Edited on 25-07-2005 by Robbo]
Robbo

25th Jul 05 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
problem is no one here bar myself and robbo have driven the gti i think

i have only driven the tdi and the sri ? (what ever one has the turbo) and the astra is just not as good as the golf, not comparing sri to gti, but the whole cars in genral
Indeed and seriously guys, the GTI is fantastic to drive, takes everything in its stride and it may bnot be the fastest but there is torque everywhere, u can pull away in 6th at 40 and still fly off Please note that it also gets respectable mpg figures (not that i have any clue what the astra gets)

Watching the astra miss corners round the track hardly instils (sp) confidence IMO
Robbo

25th Jul 05 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
I think the single most impressive aspect of this frankly astonishing new hatch is the fact that the engine, for all its power, is far from its best feature. What really makes this such an outstanding driver's car is the way it tackles a really difficult road.

And these guys...

http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/driving-impressions-2005/V/vauxhall/astra/vxr-2.html
Chanel 4 Yes very well respected
Robbo

25th Jul 05 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Thing I found amusing is the telegraph driving suplement, (who clarkson writes for) usually runs quite parrallel with Top Gear reviews.

In that article in the paper it said the VXR was much better than the golf not only in speed but handling too.

Yet top gear slag it off? to be honest if it's not german on top gear it usually gets a slagging, they love their Mercs, BMW's, VW's and audis.

Paul J
Funny coz they loved the Monaro, the VX220 and the new/old zafira
Paul_J

25th Jul 05 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is - at the end of the day, I'm not saying the Golf Gti isn't a great car... one which most people would opt for as it's got a bit more class, probably built better and better interior etc.

But at the end of the day, the Astra VXR is the quicker not only in straight line but also round a track - if the stig had driven it properly it would of gone quicker!

Yes if you put all the power down in a bend it'll spin up and understeer... but that's pretty basic laws of physics that most people could figure out. If I'm driving in the wet and I boot it while turning it understeers... Answer... don't boot it - ease on the power, and problem solved.

Paul J

Robbo

25th Jul 05 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The STig was driving it just as normal, why do people think he wasnt

It wanst wet or anything, the car just cant handle all that power :S But yes as you say it does have more power, fact
Rus

25th Jul 05 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i personally think the vuaxhall looks tacky and made without thought, just machines. the golf just looks and speaks quility. (i'm sure the golf is made by machines too)
Paul_J

25th Jul 05 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

It wanst wet or anything, the car just cant handle all that power :S But yes as you say it does have more power, fact

The shaking of the head... the bullshit start... the hammer head!!!

That start was crap... he was bouncing it off the limiter!!! and just dropped the clutch! was the crappest start ever. Then onto the hammer head he just made it really oversteer one way so that it'd wash out in the other direction... if he had instead applied the brakes and gone round the corner properly it may of been a bit different.
Robbo

25th Jul 05 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to agree, but thats all personal taste ant to be fair, I dont think the red does it any favours... same with the golf IMO, red isnt the best colour (looks it in pics but no in the flesh honestly!)
Paul_J

25th Jul 05 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rus
i personally think the vuaxhall looks tacky and made without thought, just machines. the golf just looks and speaks quility. (i'm sure the golf is made by machines too)

But this is what I mean! this is the reason most mags etc say they'd go for the golf! Not the fact the golf is quicker / handles better!

The VXR is quicker / better handling / quicker round a track than a Golf GTi end of. (Note not saying the Golf is bad at all)
Robbo

25th Jul 05 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

The shaking of the head... the bullshit start... the hammer head!!!

That start was crap... he was bouncing it off the limiter!!! and just dropped the clutch! was the crappest start ever. Then onto the hammer head he just made it really oversteer one way so that it'd wash out in the other direction... if he had instead applied the brakes and gone round the corner properly it may of been a bit different.
Why would he not try, this is just silly talk! He wheelspins off the line all the time

[Edited on 25-07-2005 by Robbo]
Rus

25th Jul 05 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rus

But this is what I mean! this is the reason most mags etc say they'd go for the golf! Not the fact the golf is quicker / handles better!

The VXR is quicker / better handling / quicker round a track than a Golf GTi end of. (Note not saying the Golf is bad at all)

yeh i totally agree, but at the end of the day. you want a good quility car. that feels £20k - £22k's worth not something that doesn't.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Top Gear 22 database queries in 0.0100551 seconds