corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » would you class a 186 MPH scooby a supercar?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author would you class a 186 MPH scooby a supercar?
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Dec 07 at 00:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think it was tested as a supercar just to get exhaust noise passed.

being a supercar isnt about db, or emissions, its a pedigree
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but it passed the super car tests so its a super car

but i agree it shouldnt be
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar

i dont think subaru impreza reading that
16V_1600

23rd Dec 07 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Is The Definition Of a Supercar?

Have you ever wondered, what makes a car a supercar?

Asking what makes a car super is like asking, what makes a woman beautiful - everyone has its own opinion.

A term supercar was coined to describe extremely expensive, extremely beautiful and extremely fast cars. But the proper use of this term is often subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts. There is no clear definition of what characteristics a car must have to be a supercar. What constitutes a supercar is often a matter of opinion. Also, the use of the term is heavily dependent on the era - a car that is considered to be a supercar at one time may lose its superiority in the future.

It is also important to know that the term supercar refers to factory-built, usually unmodified, street-legal cars. Heavily modified and potentially street - illegal vehicles do not fall into the supercar category. Supercars are not muscle cars or tuned up sports cars. And there is no such thing as a cut price supercar.

A supercar is a car that combines speed, handling, unique design and represents the pinnacle of the automaker's art. Supercar is the car equivalent of a supermodel or a race horse. There are, off course, some basic criteria for measuring whether a car should be considered a supercar or not. Things to consider: design, acceleration, top speed, handling, power-to-weight ratio, style, rarity, price - all of these has to be super in a supercar.

Want an example? Here is a prime example of a supercar - The Bugatti Veyron.

The Bugatti Veyron is currently (2007) the most expensive (around $1.5 million) and fastest fully street legal car in the world. The Guinness Book of World Records included Bugatti Veyron under the heading - Fastest Production Car. With 1001 horsepower this supercar champion features all the most recent automotive advancements and is able to achieve a top speed of 253 mph (407km/h). This is faster than any production car ever made, it's actually faster than Formula 1 cars. Supercars are not just fast, they are blazingly fast.

Other supercars include: Koenigsegg CCX, Pagani Zonda, McLaren F1, Saleen S7 Twin Turbo, Enzo Ferrari, Lamborghini Murcielago and so on.

On the fun side, if you ever doubt whether a car is a supercar or not, consider this: A car might be a supercar if - you have a wallpaper or a poster of it, it's worth more than your house, you drool when you see one, it can break the speed limit in 1st gear, you will probably never own one, but if you do, you would never give the keys to the valet.

In conclusion, a supercar is a car that changes your idea of what a car is and what a car can do.TextText Red
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it doesnt matter what people think of a super car the point of the thread is that the impreza p1 IS a super car
16V_1600

23rd Dec 07 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

End of. A subaru Impreza IS NOT a Supercar
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no its not
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the p1 is a fucking supercar

i could write an essay on what a super car is and describe the p1 would that please you?
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is no proof as there is not set rules for being a supercar

a supercar is all formed on opinion, however its like debating wether margaret thatcher is beautiful compared to several top models.
ed

23rd Dec 07 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, any car which can be used as a taxi could not possibly be a super car.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there are certain rules steve

i.e noise
speed
handling
ed

23rd Dec 07 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not to forget:

Not a saloon car
Not have a plastic interior
Not be ugly
Not have a fabric interior
Colin

23rd Dec 07 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you say the word supercar a 2L 5 seater jap coupe/saloon is the last thing to pop into my head!!
JinThaMC

quote:
Originally posted by silent_thunder89
quote:

I know, problem is he thinks a impreza is though

no.. he asked peoples opinions on it

Read the first post then come back and blow my flute
JinThaMC

quote:
Originally posted by JinThaMC
quote:
Originally posted by silent_thunder89
quote:

I know, problem is he thinks a impreza is though

no.. he asked peoples opinions on it

Read the first post then come back and play my skin flute
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, its all down to opinion

they have gotten a louder exhaust through on an EU technicallity thats it.

there is nothing set in stone about what makes a supercar a supercar and if there was it would consist of far more then

noise, speed and handling, as that wiki article suggests
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so how can anyone say that it definatly isnt a supercar then?
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like i said, its like comparing margaret thatcher to a trio of top models.

some people may find her best but the common demonitor would suggest she aint no model.

just like thatcher doesnt posses all the qualities to be a model, this impreza doesn't possess them in most peoples eyes, as this thread has shown
Wrighty

23rd Dec 07 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the only one its doesnt posses is the price tag

so its a cheap supercar
Colin

23rd Dec 07 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesnt have super car power in standard guise either............280bhp is nothing to shake a stick at if compaired to a true super car.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks? design? drivetrain? price tag? marque? theres so many factors
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but its officially classed as a super car

i have said it before i would not think of it as being a super car but you cant deny the fact it made it through the tests
Ash_EP3

23rd Dec 07 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO supercars are:

- Ferrari's
- Lambo's
- Maserati
- Aston Martin
- Porsche
- Bugatti
etc etc
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Dec 07 at 00:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
but its officially classed as a super car

i have said it before i would not think of it as being a super car but you cant deny the fact it made it through the tests

how can it be officially classed as a supercar when there are no official rules?

rules about exhaust levels yes, but thats to stop noise pollution, apart from that there are no official rules about what makes a super car a super car

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » would you class a 186 MPH scooby a supercar? 22 database queries in 0.0123310 seconds