corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » aprilia rs 125

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author aprilia rs 125
Ojc

User status: Offline
15th Jun 09 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking hell, this is the exact reason I want a FP one from the outset. I'm not faffing around doing all that bollocks.

Unless I just get a second hand pre 06 one, but like I say I never really liked my old one.

Who can set up RS125's these days?
DizzyRebel

15th Jun 09 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah its why i couldnt understand it, when i managed the shop in lincoln we only stocked FP bikes and everytime someone said they could buy one cheaper somewhere else id just tell them about the de-restriction process and the customers with half a brain cell bought an FP one from us.

Any reputable dealer should be able to set it up, otherwise a 2 stroke centre with RS125 experience should be able to do it. If i was you id run the standard pipe untill first service then get a JL fitted and the bike set up accordingly. It doesnt say on the service website that it needs any adjustment on the AXONE so it should be fairly straightforwards.
Ojc

15th Jun 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I heard a new one a while back with that stubby exhaust and it sounded like a muffled scooter, awful

I've always had Arrow exhausts on my Aprilias.
DizzyRebel

15th Jun 09 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah they sound shite on standard pipes, good old euro regs!

The arrow pipe design on the dyno shows that it drops midrange power and then moves the powerband higher up giving the illusion of more power but infact gives no actual gains. It was designed for the 125 challenge bikes and you need a carb, reed block and ports altering to get the most from it.

The JL on the other hand is designed to be run on the road bike and boasts consistant midrange and elevated peak power gains without the need for extra modifications and porting. they are also made from stainless steel, unlike the mild steel arrow pipes so they wont rust like the arrows do.

It just depends what you want from the bike, if you didnt intend to modify it any further than an exhaust id buy new. But if you wanted to have it as a tinkering toy then id buy a used 06 model that has the new shape bodywork but retains the 05's electrics and engine, then there so many tuning options like flat top piston and head kits, racing ignition maps, flywheels, porting etc.

I had a test ride on one that had a full 125 challenge tune, with a flat top piston and head kit, balanced and lightened where it could be with a jl pipe and 34mm carb. 35bhp and it Felt like riding a GP bike!
Daimo B

15th Jun 09 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
£3899 for full power RS125.

Nerarly £4k on a 125cc Aprilia. Either rich or stupid Oli

£4k would get you a very very very nice machine... In fact that would get me a Nelli Tornado.. 900cc Triple Superbike, or 125cc 2 stoke...

Meh, man up, get a real bike. Leave the diddy 125's to learners and new racers.

ONLY time i'd consider a 125cc engine is for a little bike for work, or if i wanted to get into racing on a budget.

[Edited on 15-06-2009 by VXR]
Adam_B

15th Jun 09 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you ride bikes on a car license? or do you need that CBT thing?
mattk

15th Jun 09 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a CBT
Daimo B

15th Jun 09 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adam, you'll be able to ride a 50cc moped under car license I think (used to anyway).

125cc u'll need a CBT

33bhp - Restricted License for 2 years.

Unlimited - DAS unrestricted.
Ojc

15th Jun 09 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

£4k would get you a very very very nice machine... In fact that would get me a Nelli Tornado.. 900cc Triple Superbike, or 125cc 2 stoke...

ONLY time i'd consider a 125cc engine is for a little bike for work, or if i wanted to get into racing on a budget.

But 4k for a bike which is the best of the best. I wanted a second hand one, but with second hand comes with abuse normally.

I'll have a look around but rarely do decent 2nd hand ones come up in full power form.

And 600's don't interest me in the slightest, I like the nimbleness of the 125, and I can have just as much fun.
DizzyRebel

15th Jun 09 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

This is something i dont understand. Just because a bike has a smaller engine, does not mean its worth less than any other sports bike. If you look at the equipment and build quality of it, your getting no less than if you spent £7000 on a new 600, the only difference is a smaller capacity engine.

Radial brembo brakes? Check.
Braided hoses? Check.
Upside down sachs forks? Check.
Sachs rear shock? Check.
All aluminium swing arm and frame? Check.
Halogen headlights? Check.
Multifunction digital display computer? Check.
Sticky supersports tires? Check.

The RS125 is probably better equipped with better build quality than a Suzuki GSX-R600. Some people dont want 170mph with licence threatening performance. I can see the attraction to somone who just wants the freedom of a bike without all the trouble a big bike can get you in.

My last bike was a 98 R1, and even now i still enjoy riding 125's as much as i did when i first turned 17.
Ojc

15th Jun 09 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amen, I'd like to mEAt you Dizzy.

I went out on my mates 600cc, I hated it. Was to fast for Britains roads IMO and you can easily get into trouble quickly with the shear pace of the bike.
Daimo B

15th Jun 09 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who would want any jap crap with their mediocar suspension items.... (oh, me, bummer )

You could pick up a NICE 748, or few miler 996 for that money. Or even a Honda SP1/2, or an Aprilia Mille for that money.

Dizzy, you have put a designer list for attention whoares. Radials on a 125 on the road, not needed. Im not going to list the rest, its all fancy kit.

A 125cc will still break the limit like a 600, its called throttle control and self discipline.

Whilst a 125 is fun, its not practical for the road, its better on a track being used properly where all that designer whoare list starts to be used. Momentum is the key on a 125cc, and frankly no matter what bike your on, if you can't see round the bend the maintaining momentum on a UK road isn't going to happen that much, certainly not around Reading. Up the moors, or in the mountines, sure, on a dodgy B road round your way, no...

Your cash, but IMO choosing a 125 for the road over what you could get for that kinda money, is simple madness.

Would much rather a little 400cc bike than a 125.. But thats me.

And before you start, I also agree, SB are far too fast for the roads. But thats a different conversation.

Theres plenty more bikes out there pefectly capable of having excellent fun on without getting to silly speeds. Nakeds are the way forwards on UK roads due to the riding position.

Don't do it, I know you love them, but for that money, sorry but a 2nd hand MINT RS250 would be calling to me. Similar bike, better looking, more power, just as expensive to run, just more umph

All personnal choice though of course.

Gareth T

15th Jun 09 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im looking into aprilia rs125/mito 125 myself, her they are very good round corners and arereliable also. seen a yamaha yzf125 also they look mint!
Ojc

15th Jun 09 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't like big bikes, end of story, and 400's aren't fast. A VFR-400 which is supposed to be the best 400 isn't much faster than a 125cc
like it!!

15th Jun 09 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u wer goin for looks this is what id go for

yzf 125

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-YZFR125-YZF-R125-HAGA-ROSSI-LEARNER-GEARED-125cc_W0QQitemZ190312132743QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycles?hash=item2c4f7cb087&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A3%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
Ojc

15th Jun 09 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All these alternatives to an RS125 are shite. 4 stroke 125's are useless. I might as well have an RS50 with a bore kit.
Daimo B

15th Jun 09 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
I don't like big bikes, end of story, and 400's aren't fast. A VFR-400 which is supposed to be the best 400 isn't much faster than a 125cc

110mph Vs 130mph......

Its not just about "top speed", its about availble power in gear.

Depends what you want from a ride, but again, that kinda money will buy you a SPOTLESS RS250, which is a far superior bike.

But as you say, your cash, just £4k on a 125 is madness...
DizzyRebel

15th Jun 09 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Who would want any jap crap with their mediocar suspension items.... (oh, me, bummer )

You could pick up a NICE 748, or few miler 996 for that money. Or even a Honda SP1/2, or an Aprilia Mille for that money.

Dizzy, you have put a designer list for attention whoares. Radials on a 125 on the road, not needed. Im not going to list the rest, its all fancy kit.

A 125cc will still break the limit like a 600, its called throttle control and self discipline.

Whilst a 125 is fun, its not practical for the road, its better on a track being used properly where all that designer whoare list starts to be used. Momentum is the key on a 125cc, and frankly no matter what bike your on, if you can't see round the bend the maintaining momentum on a UK road isn't going to happen that much, certainly not around Reading. Up the moors, or in the mountines, sure, on a dodgy B road round your way, no...

Your cash, but IMO choosing a 125 for the road over what you could get for that kinda money, is simple madness.

Would much rather a little 400cc bike than a 125.. But thats me.

And before you start, I also agree, SB are far too fast for the roads. But thats a different conversation.

Theres plenty more bikes out there pefectly capable of having excellent fun on without getting to silly speeds. Nakeds are the way forwards on UK roads due to the riding position.

Don't do it, I know you love them, but for that money, sorry but a 2nd hand MINT RS250 would be calling to me. Similar bike, better looking, more power, just as expensive to run, just more umph

All personnal choice though of course.

If it was my money, id buy an RS250 too. But im an aprilia factory technician so what is a worthwhile enjoyable investment thats no skin off my nose to work with to me; is a smokey, expensive siezure on wheels to somone else. I also have a bike licence so i can ride it on the road.

You have to see this one from a non licence owning individual who has basic mechanical skills, that has too much to loose if he had a high speed accident or speeding conviction. Sure there are faster, better bikes out there for the money - but do they tick all the buyers boxes? Does ojc want a 130bhp superbike capable of 180mph, 0-60 in 3 seconds and 100mph in first gear? or does he just want a bike to have fun on that is the modern day successor to the lovechild of his youth?

125's can break the speed limit, but your far more aware of the speed your doing. On the R1 i could just slot it in 3rd and overtake a line of cars, shift to 6th and id be cruising at 130mph and i wouldnt notice untill i looked at the speedo. on a 125 you have to rev the balls off it and your fully aware of how fast your going due to the lightweight and the fact if your doing 100mph your head is on the tank and its screaming its tits off in top.

As for the 'designer' list, i never said any of that was madatory, just that it has an equipment level the same as, if not better than large capacity stablemates that justifys its pricetag. Look at the price of the yamaha R125 though, 4k but its not as well built and is a hell of a lot slower.

A brand new RS125 if kept immaculate would only be an investment, in 20 years time when 2 strokes are long gone - a mint RS125 will easily fetch what it cost new, probably a lot more too.

Im buying an RS125 at the end of summer, along with a 250 if i can find one at the right price to restore and keep forever, yeah i could buy a 996, or an RSV, or a ZX10 - but fast big capacity bikes are 10 a penny, small capacity 2 strokes are a dying breed and something that will be all but obsolete in 20 years time.

You will get the chance to mEAt me one day lol, i get my licence back the end of the month so ill be attending a few shows, events, meets and what not then. Im pretty sure there are a few people on here that would love to give me an earful in person and id hate to disappoint lol.
Ojc

15th Jun 09 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rider involvement on the RS125 is brilliant, I had a similar chat with Paul J a little while back, it's all about carrying proper speed, selecting the right gear and whizzing through the gearbox on the 125, on an R1 by the end of 1st gear you are breaking the speed limit

I love the 125's, I love the smell, the speed is perfect, I love the look I just love them.
jr

15th Jun 09 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pb this month they put a 125 againt a 600, and 750 and a 1000 iirc

brillaint read, and a proper insite into how good they are

[Edited on 15-06-2009 by jr]
Ojc

15th Jun 09 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll go get a copy later.

It is an RS125 though?
Root

15th Jun 09 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3i_gaz
RS125's have better brakes than NSR's, better suited tyre sizes, far better looking, better size...

Cagiva Mito has better brakes than the RS125's but it's a 125 bike, it just goes over a ton, braking isn't that important for a small block like that has, as far as it being better looking and size, a 125 is usually a first bike, it's meant to be something to learn on, not something to wrap around a telephone pole or something you MAY have to spend hundreds repairing.

IMO most aprilia's have been hammered by previous owners so they're not very good engine-wise. I'd get a different bike but I don't want to take the risk of the reliability issues. It's up to the guy who posted the thread what he wants to do anyway but it's a well-known fact that Honda make really solid reliable engines in cars and bikes.

Then again, there's TZR's, NSR's, CBR's, Mito, lots of different bikes. If you are going for the aprilia, try to find one that's been looked after.

[Edited on 15-06-2009 by Root]
DizzyRebel

15th Jun 09 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
quote:
Originally posted by 3i_gaz
RS125's have better brakes than NSR's, better suited tyre sizes, far better looking, better size...

Cagiva Mito has better brakes than the RS125's but it's a 125 bike, it just goes over a ton, braking isn't that important for a small block like that has, as far as it being better looking and size, a 125 is usually a first bike, it's meant to be something to learn on, not something to wrap around a telephone pole or something you MAY have to spend hundreds repairing.

IMO most aprilia's have been hammered by previous owners so they're not very good engine-wise. I'd get a different bike but I don't want to take the risk of the reliability issues. It's up to the guy who posted the thread what he wants to do anyway but it's a well-known fact that Honda make really solid reliable engines in cars and bikes.

Mito has the same calipers as an old shape RS125, so how are they better?

Most 125's have been hammered regardless of make period, not just aprilias. The fact that you see plenty of 10-15 year old RS125's for sale with over 30,000 miles on them, yet you rarely see a cagiva, honda or yamaha 125 of the same mileage or age still runing says to me the aprilias are better built to take the abuse thrown at them.

Its also worth noting honda never quite got the hang of 2 strokes, look at the 125/250 motogp paddock - aprilias piss all over the hondas.
mattk

15th Jun 09 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Adam, you'll be able to ride a 50cc moped under car license I think (used to anyway).

you need a CBT to ride anything
Root

15th Jun 09 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wasn't trying to get into a heated argunment here, Mito's do have better braking than RS's.

It's his choice whatever fucking bike he wants, if he gets an Aprilia it'll be a good bike or a moneypit, but its' a gamble unless you take the engine apart and inspect the piston rings and so on. Just gotta be careful if he buys a rs cus they are a boy racer's bike and they do get hammered quite a lot is all I was saying

[Edited on 15-06-2009 by Root]

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » aprilia rs 125 22 database queries in 0.0243959 seconds