corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The Dole

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Dole
kz

User status: Offline
15th Aug 09 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm gonna go on it for the first time next week, kinda gutted really. I was made redundant in June and didn't wanna go on it, but it's horrible seeing all this money go out and nothing coming back in.

For all the people saying they have loads of money in the bank and are still claiming, how? When I was looking at applying before they said if you have £3k+ in the bank you get a reduced amount, and if you have £6k+ then you get nothing!
mattk

15th Aug 09 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your allowed upto £16k I think

and yeah looks like Im gonna have to move up to scotland
vcorsasport1.6

15th Aug 09 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

upto 16k savings....!! thats phenominal that someone with £16,000 still get the same money as me to look for a job with,unbelieveable! lol
brad
Andrew

15th Aug 09 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have mixed thoughts. Give people it for 6 months and need to prove they are activly seeking work. If they don't get work in that time then they are clearly retartded. However, are there enough jobs for all?

Then again, you take someones benefits of then they are going to just rob peoples houses to feed their habbits.

A mate of mine does well from it. Has a flat and doesn't pay rent or council tax. He's in town every Friday and Sat night. Make me wonder why we bother to work.

As said, mixed thoughts from me here!!
vcorsasport1.6

15th Aug 09 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i do see what you mean andrew, if i could afford to live without that £50 a week i really would, unfortunately i cant and do rely on it big time, i dont smoke, i havnt been round town this year! and i dont have my car on the road atm,
but im pretty sure im gonna find a job within 6 month (i hope so anyway), i agree that anyone who doesnt jsut isnt trying hard enough...
brad
AndyKent

15th Aug 09 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the subject of if you haven't found anything in 6 months you're not really trying, I suppose I generally agree.

I have heard recently though that professionals who have been made redundant (surveyors, accountants etc.) are finding it impossible. They are smart enough that 'lower' status businesses don't want to touch them as they know as soon as things pick up they'll leave again and return to a good wage. Why bother employing someone you know will leave in 6-12 months.

I know this first hand as we have had a new surveyor join us who had been out of work for 4 months and no-one would touch him, and told him why. It wasn't for a lack of trying on his part, and is the same for several of his old colleagues who were all made redundant at the same time.
Colin

15th Aug 09 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 2 times Ive been made redundant ive signed on from the off & then managed to find a job pretty much straight away. Now one of these was min wag packing boxes off a production line, quite a tiring job packing boxes for 12hrs but I just got on with it. The other time I actually made a point of taking a walk around town and dropping CV's into local places, this got me a chat with the district manager of a tool hire company who happened to be in the premises when I walked in and I started the next day. Again min wage, I was just labouring, sweeping the floor, loading vans, hell I even scrubbed the toilet. You can get a job if you have the drive and will do anything.

Even now i'm seeing mates coming out of work but managing to fall back on their feet pretty quick, there are jobs out there, loads of them!!

Ive got another mate who's been on the dole sinse May, hes too proud to take a min wage job, doesnt see the point because he'll be knocking his pan in to be skint. He's looking to step back into something similar to what he was doing before & paying 35k a year!! Not going to happen!!

[Edited on 15-08-2009 by Colin]
antnee

15th Aug 09 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vcorsasport1.6, have you tried getting work with small companies/partnerships? The small building companies which do domestic extensions/improvements are booming atm around here, most don't have enough hours in the day! The big companies are doing shit though
vcorsasport1.6

15th Aug 09 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have sent a cv off to all the local building businesses lately, its getting embarrassing ringing them up asking if they now have any work, atm no builders are getting much work, small building companies are who i like working for they are much better than the large contractors that spend years on 1 job....
brad
Daveskater
Premium Member

15th Aug 09 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had to sign on last November, put it off for a while because I seriously didn't want to do it, but wouldn't have been able to afford to run my car if I didn't claim. It came to the 13 week interview and the day before I had to go in I got a job offer. I didn't tell them though because I hadn't decided whether to take it or not. They were suggesting going on a course to learn something new but that didn't appeal so much, although if it came to it I would have had to as the only jobs that were going were for chefs, delivery drivers or live-in carers, none of which I can do. The only things I could find in mechanical engineering/IT (two preferred options) were very highly ranked jobs that I can't do.

Eventually Connexions came through for me and I took the job offer and started the day before I was 20

[/life story]

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
rustyarchs

15th Aug 09 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im 29 this month was on the dole for the first time last year and was on it for 5 monthsish, no jobs near me in metalwork and the only other job i did apply for i got knocked back due to a criminal record!! got a grand total of 60 pounds 50 pence a week to live on so not exactly luxury but fuck yous if you think i was going to get some min wage job thus possibly making me miss a good job as id be busy slaveing my guts out for pennies when for the last 14 and a bit years iv paid my dues for scum and tossers to live off me.......

oh now iv got a great job 10 min from where i stay so glad i did
taylorboosh

15th Aug 09 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Why not just take any job though...to get yourself into work again??

Personally i'd sweep shit off the street if it meant me keeping a roof over my head!!

i really really agree with this, has been in work since i was 16 and left school, im now just turned 21, lost my job due to redundancy on june 1st, it had been a long time coming. applied for anything and everything, had a few interviews was offered a job by the 18th of the month or so, started the first of july, call centre job, though it would be shite but i actually really like it and when i finish my 13 week probabtion i will be on the same wage as i was before and have the chance to earn bonus ontop which varies from 20-200 extra a week, so im better of really.

but in all honesty, i would do a care job wiping arses or clean streets to pay my bills etc, i have no problem with people wanting to find work claiming dole, i hate people who just want to be paid for fuck all

taylorboosh

15th Aug 09 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vcorsasport1.6
upto 16k savings....!! thats phenominal that someone with £16,000 still get the same money as me to look for a job with,unbelieveable! lol
brad

why, if they have saved 16k it just means that:

a. they have most likely paid a lot into the system just like you
b. they are better with money than you
c. they have worked hard to save that money

so why should they not recieve jsa just because they have been good with cash and saved? after all they payed the same tax as every1 else.
CorsAsh

15th Aug 09 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went on it briefly based on my sister's advice (she's a DWP employee). Only reason was to keep my NI contributions up.
Cosmo

15th Aug 09 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
quote:
Originally posted by vcorsasport1.6
brad

why, if they have saved 16k it just means that:

a. they have most likely paid a lot into the system just like you
b. they are better with money than you
c. they have worked hard to save that money

so why should they not recieve jsa just because they have been good with cash and saved? after all they payed the same tax as every1 else.

d. they won it
e. they were given it
f. they stole it
vcorsasport1.6

15th Aug 09 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im just saying, i know from working in finance how many (or few) people in this country actually have £16k worth of savings, its a very minor %, the only people who would have that kind of money are people that earn serious £'s like way over £100k a year, unless like cosmo said they either won it,got given it or stole it......
brad

edit:- im not trying to start an argument, i see where your coming from with the whole, thay have earned which means they have contributed to the system (and no doubt contributed a hell of a lot more than i have in my 4 years of working!), thats fair enough, im just saying, i know if i had £16k in the bank i wouldnt be needing that £50 a week as much as a family man with kids to support etc, imo anyway

[Edited on 15-08-2009 by vcorsasport1.6]
AndyKent

15th Aug 09 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're saying the only people with more than £16k in savings are all on £100k per year

I'm 21 with a £10k car and £15k in the bank and I earn less than £25k per year.
mattk

15th Aug 09 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all these people saying they would rather sweep shit off the streets, have you ever tried to get a job with a local council?

Good luck to you, Id love to be a bin man personally but its impossible to get into
Cosmo

15th Aug 09 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
I'm 21 with a £10k car and £15k in the bank and I earn less than £25k per year.

Thats fairly impressive tbh, as assuming you've saved that since being 18yrs old, thats on average approx £400 a month put away.

Take your car into account (if its paid for fully) and you're looking at £700 a month on average over 3yrs.

Given you earn less than £25k (lets say £23k) you're basically saving half of your monthly take home pay.
AndyKent

15th Aug 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well calculated, pretty much spot on. Living at home has its advantages

edit though - must admit I did get gifted £5000 when a grandparent died which helped

[Edited on 15-08-2009 by AndyKent]
DizzyRebel

15th Aug 09 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Why not just take any job though...to get yourself into work again??

Personally i'd sweep shit off the street if it meant me keeping a roof over my head!!

i really really agree with this, has been in work since i was 16 and left school, im now just turned 21, lost my job due to redundancy on june 1st, it had been a long time coming. applied for anything and everything, had a few interviews was offered a job by the 18th of the month or so, started the first of july, call centre job, though it would be shite but i actually really like it and when i finish my 13 week probabtion i will be on the same wage as i was before and have the chance to earn bonus ontop which varies from 20-200 extra a week, so im better of really.

but in all honesty, i would do a care job wiping arses or clean streets to pay my bills etc, i have no problem with people wanting to find work claiming dole, i hate people who just want to be paid for fuck all

Ive been on the dole for 8 months now, granted i work 1 week a month in spain for a race team but im still unemployed. I planned to stay unemployed for at least 6 months so i was eligible for the princes trust grant. Now im only weeks away from going to panel to apply for my business loan and get out of doing dead end jobs like call centres, arse wiping and retail work. So being on the dole intentionally has its plus points sometimes.

[Edited on 15-08-2009 by DizzyRebel]
Cosmo

15th Aug 09 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have they made you apply any sort of jobs, or in any way tried to push you off being on the dole?
Bonney

15th Aug 09 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A couple of years back, I was out of work for about 2 months. I refused to go on the dole, was doing anything I could to make a bit of money doing little odd jobs here and there. When they dried up I did eventually sign on and in my eyes it was the most degrading thing I have ever done.

When I was in the dole office it felt as if you were been treated as a criminal, and some of the people in there you could tell that basically they didn't give a crap. When I went to "Sign on" as it were, the woman who i had to see was looking down on me and throwing the paper work at me.

Luckily i only had to do it once, As the first time I did sign on, I was on my way to an interview.
DizzyRebel

15th Aug 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Have they made you apply any sort of jobs, or in any way tried to push you off being on the dole?

No, after 6 months they put me on this thing called 'new deal' where they will ask me in once every 3 weeks for a more intense job hunt and they just print off a load more jobs for me to apply for which i usually throw in the bin on the way out.

If you wanted to take the piss with it you could, i get on well with my new deal advisor as she knows im after starting up on my own so doesnt really ask me about work, instead she just tells me about all the government benefits im entitled too and what i can claim for when i start up etc. So now when i start up the job centre are going to give me £250 in my sky rocket for 'workwear' and then £50 a week for 16 weeks while i get the business off its feet.

Its not a nice place to be, as theres always a couple of skanks outside smoking a joint with a bottle of cider on the go trying to stare you out thinking they are cool, but i just grin at them thinking what a bunch of no hope tossers. The advisors treat you like a lowlife and it took me 2 months of giving them shit and walking in wearing expensive clothes for them to realise i wasnt a lowlife and actually had ambitions in life. now they treat me with a bit of respect. The JSA isnt that bad though, £100 for going into the job centre once every 2 weeks isnt bad money!
N3CRO

15th Aug 09 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Necromancer has been on there for years, as in about 4 or 5 years.

Not I haven't! I've been off it several times over that period when I've had work, thank you!

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The Dole 23 database queries in 0.0168500 seconds