corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » debt?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author debt?
J da Silva

User status: Offline
31st Aug 09 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
I personally wouldn't get into debt over any car, I'd walk or bike it first, but you are your own boss, if you think you can manage the monthly payments then go for it.

Neither would any of us if we were mortgage free by 23 (or whatever!!) sadly it doesnt work like that for us non-entrepreneurial members.

I dont mind a bit of car finance, if you can borrow cheap enough and dont go ronnie moffet. It allows me to get the car I want while putting down cash enough for the one I dont really want. I'll probably always do it this way......at least until im mortgage free & have the disposable income (5-7yrs hopefully!) to do otherwise.

Bit older than 23, but I'd sooner take that tbh.

Colin he asked for an opinion and I gave it, I'm not saying car finance is wrong, please quote if that isn't the case.

My opinion isn't based on my individual situation Colin, it's actually based on just what I believe to be the best way.
Colin

31st Aug 09 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
if i was mortgage free i'd still get a loan but over a shorter term

I'd get a 997 GT3 on HP & behave like a dog with its lip stick out dry humping anything in sight!!
Colin

31st Aug 09 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:
I personally wouldn't get into debt over any car, I'd walk or bike it first, but you are your own boss, if you think you can manage the monthly payments then go for it.

Neither would any of us if we were mortgage free by 23 (or whatever!!) sadly it doesnt work like that for us non-entrepreneurial members.

I dont mind a bit of car finance, if you can borrow cheap enough and dont go ronnie moffet. It allows me to get the car I want while putting down cash enough for the one I dont really want. I'll probably always do it this way......at least until im mortgage free & have the disposable income (5-7yrs hopefully!) to do otherwise.

Bit older than 23, but I'd sooner take that tbh.

Colin he asked for an opinion and I gave it, I'm not saying car finance is wrong, please quote if that isn't the case.

My opinion isn't based on my individual situation Colin, it's actually based on just what I believe to be the best way.

That never meant to come out sarcy or bitchy by the way bretherin, Im stating that you've done well & are obviously well endowed not to need credit.

Im saying I see no bad in taking on 'some' to have a nice car while im young-ish until wedged enough to not need the tick...or something along those lines

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuum
whitter45

1st Sep 09 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the engines are crap - I think thats expensive tbh
DaveyLC

1st Sep 09 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Avoid debt/credit as much as you can.. Most of us need to get a mortgage but it can be considered an investment purchase.. A car is not.
John

1st Sep 09 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why does it have to be an investment.

What if you want a nice new car but don't have the cash sitting about.

No point making the money to drive about in an old corsa.
MarkM

1st Sep 09 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with John.

If you can afford the repayments why not.

DaveyLC

1st Sep 09 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The repayments are half the story though. You might be able to afford the repayments but can you afford to also fix it when it goes wrong? what about if you lose your job, or your circumstances change..
Colin

1st Sep 09 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A mortgage isnt an investment purchase really unless its not your sole residence or you plan to downsize, it may go up/down according to the market/economy but you'r always going to need a roof off your head. Meanwhile your paying (as an example) £1.75 for every £1 borrowed over a 25-30yr period!! So 170,000 paid back if you borrow 100,000!

Thats more frightening than having to pay back £1k on a 3yr loan so I can enjoy a nice car.

Put it this way, I'll sleep better at night knowing I make large over payments to pay off my mortgage every month than if I had my car paid off!!
Colin

1st Sep 09 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you lose your job you get another one.

Its like all these insurance policies, protection things.....pay out if you die or become critically ill etc etc

If that happens then i'll not need a car!!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

User status: Online
1st Sep 09 at 13:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not likely that i'll lose my job any time soon

plenty of monkeys below me to go first and it takes 5 years to get someone as trained as i am
MarkM

1st Sep 09 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
The repayments are half the story though. You might be able to afford the repayments but can you afford to also fix it when it goes wrong? what about if you lose your job, or your circumstances change..

If you lose your job get another one.

If you're worried about maintenance costs, a new car comes with a warranty. Otherwise that cost would be included in your calculations when deciding if you could afford it. I personally put £50 a month away as a car contingency fund for when it needs new tyres or taxing etc...

DaveyLC

1st Sep 09 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just offering my opinion, if you want to live a life of debt be my guest just dont fuck up my free banking please
MarkM

1st Sep 09 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Just offering my opinion, if you want to live a life of debt be my guest just dont fuck up my free banking please

I will thanks. I will wave as I pass by your 12 year old Corsa.

You're either very stupid or very naive to want to live a life without luxury items all because you don't want to be "in debt".

Unless you come into a lot of money obtaining credit is unavoidable unless you want to drive a shit heap and live with your parents for the rest of your life.

John

1st Sep 09 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paying an amount of finance you can easily afford to get a nice car is totally different from buying a 2k clio at 300% APR and getting up to your eyeballs in debt.
DaveyLC

1st Sep 09 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkM

You're either very stupid or very naive to want to live a life without luxury items all because you don't want to be "in debt".

Unless you come into a lot of money obtaining credit is unavoidable unless you want to drive a shit heap and live with your parents for the rest of your life.

Yes Mark because I only drive a 12 year old corsa

I live in my own home (£1,100 / month), I have nice things (3 cars and a motorbike).. I don't need finance.

Without the finance you have more disposable income so just save for the things you want! All of my vehicles are bought out-right with cash.
MarkM

1st Sep 09 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Paying an amount of finance you can easily afford to get a nice car is totally different from buying a 2k clio at 300% APR and getting up to your eyeballs in debt.

Exactly. I would be willing to pay 7.9% (interest on loan) over what the car costs if it means I can have it substantially sooner.

I can afford it so why not.

DaveyLC

1st Sep 09 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Patience is a virtue and you clearly cant afford it or you would have it

[Edited on 01-09-2009 by DaveyLC]
MarkM

1st Sep 09 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I have nice things (3 cars and a motorbike).. I don't need finance.

All of my vehicles are bought out-right with cash.

Davey Boy - Tell me the value of each of your vehicles?
MarkM

1st Sep 09 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Patience is a virtue and you clearly cant afford it or you would have it

[Edited on 01-09-2009 by DaveyLC]

I can afford the repayments you muppet.

Colin

1st Sep 09 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

You only enjoy free banking because banks can draft in revenue from people taking loans etc, if they didnt then you'd have to pay a fee just to have a current account.
DaveyLC

1st Sep 09 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£5.5-6k 02 Impreza WRX, £2k 02 Omega, £2.5-3k 03 DRZ400E, £8k 53 CL600 (seller though)..
MarkM

1st Sep 09 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mostly low value cars as I suspected.

DaveyLC

1st Sep 09 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Mostly low value cars as I suspected.

Yes but they are mine and I dont owe a penny.. I could go and get £60k worth of car on finance but it wouldnt be mine would it.. It might LOOK like I've got more money but whats the point? Its like these people who have a two bedroom semi and a brand new range rover parked outside.. Priorities anyone?
John

1st Sep 09 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The impreza wasn't 6k either was it, it was cheap because it had been crashed.

They are all 6+ years old as well, what if you want to drive about in something new.

Not having 10k+ cash sitting in the bank in no way means you can't afford it.

Can people buying 65k porsches with a bit of finance not afford it?

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » debt? 22 database queries in 0.0171080 seconds