corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Could a plane take off on a conveyor belt?????

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Could a plane take off on a conveyor belt?????
CorsAsh

User status: Offline
30th Oct 09 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not actually quoted, just came to mind. If the plane was stopped from moving backwards and airflow at sufficient speed passed over its wings, they'd still generate sufficient lift to get it off the ground wouldn't they?
CorsAsh

30th Oct 09 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by UGH
could a helicopter take off if it were in the middle of a tornado that was spining in the opposite rotation to that of the helicopters blades and at the same speed?
No because the people inside would be dead.
John

30th Oct 09 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People who still don't get this need shot.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
30th Oct 09 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes. The frame of reference doesn't matter, the air just needs to pass the wing.
Cosmo

30th Oct 09 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
That's not actually quoted, just came to mind. If the plane was stopped from moving backwards and airflow at sufficient speed passed over its wings, they'd still generate sufficient lift to get it off the ground wouldn't they?

In theory.
DaveyLC

30th Oct 09 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As soon as the engine(S) were started it would start moving, it would eventually reach a speed faster than the belt and then continue to accelerate (with the wheels rotating freely on the belt) its not like a car on a conveyor belt that would have to match the belts speed through its wheels to accelerate.
Mike GSi

30th Oct 09 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My quote was purely to back up the fact that thrust is not needed to make an object fly!

how about this scenario:

A plane was tied to something strong enough to keep it in place, by its nose. The plane was facing north and needed 100mph of air/wind to create its lift and a wind of over 100mph blowing southerly was occuring, would the plane not leave the ground?

A plane can take off on a conveyor belt if the plane created sufficiant amount momentum. i.e if it needs 100mph on a runway it would need to create 100mph on the conveyer belt. simples!
John

30th Oct 09 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, it requries exactly the same amount of momentum as on a static runway, bar friction in the wheel bearings, which is negligible.
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Oct 09 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm clear and I don't know why you need random examples which are nothing to do with the problem in order to make points which don't pertain to the original question.

Q. Would a plane take off if it were on a conveyor belt.

A. Not if it were tied to a church.

Ian
Site Administrator

30th Oct 09 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
No, it requries exactly the same amount of momentum as on a static runway, bar friction in the wheel bearings, which is negligible.
Amen.
UGH
Banned

30th Oct 09 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike GSi
My quote was purely to back up the fact that thrust is not needed to make an object fly!

how about this scenario:

A plane was tied to something strong enough to keep it in place, by its nose. The plane was facing north and needed 100mph of air/wind to create its lift and a wind of over 100mph blowing southerly was occuring, would the plane not leave the ground?

A plane can take off on a conveyor belt if the plane created sufficiant amount momentum. i.e if it needs 100mph on a runway it would need to create 100mph on the conveyer belt. simples!

yeah if the wind is 100mph and the plane needs to reach 100mph to take off, then the windspeed is still 100mph so it would make the plane take off but standstill at the same time, the conveyour belt could be spinning in any direction at any speed i recokn
Cosmo

30th Oct 09 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I'm clear and I don't know why you need random examples which are nothing to do with the problem in order to make points which don't pertain to the original question.

What about a small cottage?
DizzyRebel

30th Oct 09 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

What about a small cottage?

If the engines were powerful enough to drag it with it then who knows
Jamescorsa97

30th Oct 09 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Oh no, not again

my plan worked perfectly!!!
Ste
Premium Member

30th Oct 09 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VSTOL. NUFF SED.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
J da Silva

30th Oct 09 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fucking loved this thread, I originally said in my comments that the plane wouldn't take off, as I didn't fully understand the question, I thought exactly what mattk just said on page 1 of this thread, then once it clicked I believed it would take off.

Epic none the less.
Cosmo

30th Oct 09 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you want to dig out one of the past 30+ pager threads on this very subject then
J da Silva

30th Oct 09 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Re-read my comment very carefully there Cosmo, I was talking about the original one.
Cosmo

30th Oct 09 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pfft.
J da Silva

30th Oct 09 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Manc piece of shit, or should I say Salford scum?
Ste
Premium Member

31st Oct 09 at 01:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
X16joeXE

31st Oct 09 at 03:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive read it all and decided it can only take off if the thrust can propell the plane forward faster than the convayor belt is going. If the plane is thrusting at 50mph and the convayor is spinning at 50mph then it wont. Too many different scenarios in this theory.
LukeS

31st Oct 09 at 04:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It can take off yes, it's because it's not the wheels which make the plane take off it's the propellor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KsdMuhYJPw
Root

31st Oct 09 at 07:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it will. If the belt was large enough for a plane..lol
Cosmo

31st Oct 09 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by X16joeXE
Ive read it all and decided it can only take off if the thrust can propell the plane forward faster than the convayor belt is going. If the plane is thrusting at 50mph and the convayor is spinning at 50mph then it wont. Too many different scenarios in this theory.

Wrong.

The wheel freewheel under the plane, they arent driven like on a car. So the conveyor belt could be running at 200mph, but as long as the plane thrusts enough to create the forward movement and therefore the required airflow over/under the wings then it will take off.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Could a plane take off on a conveyor belt????? 23 database queries in 0.0162649 seconds