corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pay monthly car

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pay monthly car
Pop

User status: Offline
6th Jan 10 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Just to have something to show for my money, same reason I wouldn't rent a house really.

I know it works out better for some people but I looked into it a few months ago and it was paying out an awful lot of money for something I didn't own (unless I paid a stupidly expensive balloon payment)

That's fair enough. I have always bought my cars outright as well. Next time we change though I'll probably lease it. The main reason is that I don't want my hard earned money tied up in a depreciating asset.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jan 10 at 16:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't agree that you should own something just so you can say that you own it.

For example, if you bought a house in 2007 and want to sell it now, you've probably lost money and you've also got fees to advertise and fees to process it.

If you bought a new car and paid a monthly payment on it and it depreciated faster that you paid it off (likely in the first 18-24 months) then you've got fees to advertise, or a poor offer on trade in, or if you set the finance up this way, a clause in the agreement where you can walk away. Most of which will mean you come away with nothing and have nothing to show for your money, and in many cases you will have actually spent out more just to be in the same position.

The goal is to pay as little as possible for the time you own it. Not to treat it as some status thing of saying 'I own it', when in fact you no more own it than you own the taxi you got home from town the other week.
John

6th Jan 10 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't do it that way either, paying cars over 5 years with no deposit etc is probably worse, my scenario is if you are putting down a decent deposit and over 3 or less years.

People who pay a car over 5 years with no deposit will be in a worse situation.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pay monthly car 22 database queries in 0.0123310 seconds