corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » guy filming himself being arrested for taking photographs

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author guy filming himself being arrested for taking photographs
Graham88

User status: Offline
25th Feb 10 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was taking some long exposures of Dartford Bridge and got stopped for Terrorism and told to move on.
Rickavo

25th Feb 10 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Can any police officers explain to me how the terrorist act relates to stopping, searching, possibly deleting pictures and arresting people who are just out with their camera?

[Edited on 25-02-2010 by John]

The fact is that the police do not know the difference between a person who is just out with their camera and a nutjob perving on the kids/planning a terrorist attack do they?

and by refusing to give even just his name makes the officer think why does this guy not want to give his name.
Rickavo

25th Feb 10 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If a police officer is not aloud to ask someone for there name who is taking pictures of children then how are they ever going to stop it?
John

25th Feb 10 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It has nothing at all to do with stopping photographers, as some top brass said on a TV interview about it, even if you are too thick to be able to work it out without that.

What use is a picture to terrorists?

If I really wanted a picture I'd look at google first then go on a drive by with my car.

The terrorism act IS NOT related in any way to the situations in which it is being applied, it is literally to stop terrorism.
Welsh Dan

25th Feb 10 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not an offence to take a picture in a public place, obviously. However, the guy in the video was taking pictures not in the normal manner, by taking them over the shoulder of his friend, camera behind his back. That does strike me as being odd, so even though he's not actually up to no good, he's not helped himself.
If you get stopped, you don't have to give your names and details. It’s an inconvenience, but if you've got nothing to hide you're better off just giving your details and getting on your way.
Also, you can take pictures of the Police. However, it would depend on the nature in which you're taking them. If you're taking pictures of normal plod in a tourist spot, they're normally happy to oblige. You can take a picture whilst i’m nicking someone if you like. But obviously, don’t take the piss and interfere with whatever i’m doing.
However, if you get stopped under S44 (terrorism act), I have the right to look at your camera. If it has photos of a questionable nature i.e. photos of CCTV cameras, security installations etc. Then a few more questions will be asked. We don’t have a power to delete the photographs, unless we seize the camera. If it got to this point, the photos would be the least of your worries.
John

25th Feb 10 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rickavo
If a police officer is not aloud to ask someone for there name who is taking pictures of children then how are they ever going to stop it?

That's a lot of balls as well, that's only a recent thing.

AFAIK it hasn't stopped child abuse in any way, shape or form, it's just another stupid rule in this joke of a country.

The police not being able to interpret simple laws doesn't help at all.
John

25th Feb 10 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welsh Dan

However, if you get stopped under S44 (terrorism act), I have the right to look at your camera

This is not what the terrorism act is for, at all, you should understand that considering it's your job.
Graham88

25th Feb 10 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Terrorism Act just seems to be used for anything nowadays ffs.
Rickavo

25th Feb 10 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It might not be what its for BUT the police SHOULD have the right to ask someone for there name if there are taking pictures of children.
Welsh Dan

25th Feb 10 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not just a case of how the terrorism works. There are different sections of the act, with different powers. The common ones being S44, S43 and S58A.

Under S44, I said I have the right to look at the camera. Whether or not you agree with that, is a different matter. Bearing in mind that my colleague stopped someone acting suspiciously, who was subsequently arrested and charged under the terrorism act and was linked to Al Qaeda, what are you suggesting that we need to use it for?

At the end of the day, as the IRA said. We have to be lucky all the time. They only have to be lucky once.

am4nf

25th Feb 10 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a question for all the "hes within his rights" people

Would you refuse to give your details? seriously?
am4nf

25th Feb 10 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AND you need consent to photograph people, thats why he wasnt filming the cops, they would have told the do not consent
Welsh Dan

25th Feb 10 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No you don't need consent.

If he was in a private area, he'd need permission. Hence why you're not allowed to film in train stations.

[Edited on 25-02-2010 by Welsh Dan]
am4nf

25th Feb 10 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The street is ok but train station isnt?
Welsh Dan

25th Feb 10 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Train Station is private property. The street isn't private property.
Butler

25th Feb 10 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He was filming the 'cops' though and he was within his right to do so.

Anyone saying hes an awkward bastard etc, consider that he is standing up for what should be a simple principle. If people dont the police will never be aware that they are abusing peoples freedom. They are clearly power happy and want to have the upper hand with this guy, otherwise they would have accepted he was within his right, but the power happy guy CLEARLY lied, saying people had 'made it known' that he was acting anti-socially. I wish he had asked them how they made it known, because he stuttered and was clearly reluctant to just say that he had been told.
Rickavo

26th Feb 10 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And by taking photographs of people he is abusing there freedom TBH.
Butler

26th Feb 10 at 01:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then they should talk to the photographer about it, there are no laws saying people cant do that though so its irrelevant.
Rickavo

26th Feb 10 at 01:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No the photographer should ask them for permission before he takes pictures whether there is a law or not.

The fact that there isnt a law is stupid.
Butler

26th Feb 10 at 01:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats ridiculous haha. Maybe you think a photographer should ask his subjects for permission out of principle, but its nothing to do with how the law dealt with this situation.
Rickavo

26th Feb 10 at 01:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its hardly ridiculous.. and if not a law stopping them from taking pictures atleast one stopping them publishing it on internet/papers etc.

and im talking about photographers in general, i think a police officer should defernately have the powers to ask someone for atleast there name if they are taking pictures of children, anyone who thinks they shouldn't is talking shit tbh
Welsh Dan

26th Feb 10 at 01:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously Rickavo. Are you suggesting that it should be against the law to take a picture of someone without their permission?
Rickavo

26th Feb 10 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Children? Yes

Parents permission obviously

[Edited on 26-02-2010 by Rickavo]
Welsh Dan

26th Feb 10 at 01:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're just taking pictures of kids that aren't related to you in some manner, yes. If you're taking pictures of a carnival, no.
Rickavo

26th Feb 10 at 01:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right exactly and if you are taking pictures at the carnival the parents and the police should have the right to ask for your name and to look at the photos should they not ?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » guy filming himself being arrested for taking photographs 22 database queries in 0.0176671 seconds