corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra vxr or Focus ST?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra vxr or Focus ST?
Graham88

User status: Offline
19th May 10 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough that's quite good then!

I am the same, just wondered how much difference the engine size made the economy of it, quite alot evidently!

What A2 curve?
Daimo B

19th May 10 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
Damo is that going from the M25 onto the A2 or the other way around?

I love the bend coming onto it as you leave the M25

Nahh, as your coming up the A2 towards Bluewater (going London bound) theres a long sweeping left hander, starts tight and opens up as you go further round. It goes to the Ebbsfleet Int train station.

The one from teh M25 onto the A2 going coastbound up to bluewater, well, over a tonne is all im saying.... And hold on tight

Not so keen on the A2 -> M25 bend as thats a softer curve and balls permitting you could do some stupid speeds around that, and if it lets go, well it'll be much higher speeds and will hurt/kill you more
djgritt
Premium Member

19th May 10 at 13:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd probably go for the VXR out of the two.

STs are nice, especially the Facelift, but the crap Recaros and Driving Position would put me off.

Though, the sound those 5-cylinders make on heavy throttle could tempt me...

And then if I was ignoring the reasoning of this thread, I'd suggest Renaultsport Megane F1...
Ben G

19th May 10 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vxr, the focus handles much better with eibach springs that you can get as an option, so still standard

And 0.3 seconds faster to 60 does not show in the real world.
Ojc

19th May 10 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get Eibach springs from the factory from Vauxhall, Walkinshaw do the upgrades.
Graham88

19th May 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Nahh, as your coming up the A2 towards Bluewater (going London bound) theres a long sweeping left hander, starts tight and opens up as you go further round. It goes to the Ebbsfleet Int train station.

Braver man than me, that bend scares me
Daimo B

19th May 10 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Vxr, the focus handles much better with eibach springs that you can get as an option, so still standard

And 0.3 seconds faster to 60 does not show in the real world.

No, but thats not where the Astra excels, its 30-100. I've never come accross an ST that could keep up in standard format. Its quite a noticable difference. I only wish i'd video'd it to simply show it opposed to what someone says on the internet. Hell I even got caught one race in the wrong gear, but still pulled enough to pass the ST back (straightline motorway boringness).

Your saying optional extras, which you can have put on under warrantee, so not really standard car. I could have the exhaust, IC, 4 pots, etc etc all done under warrantee.

Standard for Standard, as a drivers car, the Astra is far better im afraid. I've driven both quite a lot and the astra as a performance car is better. As a daily go to work car, the ST is better. Overal, the astra is the far better car.
Daimo B

19th May 10 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88

Come and pick you up one night and i'll take you round it

Stick with it, just dont lift off mid bend like I did the other day and have the rear end come out a little. Just like the poo out of my bum at the time
adiohead

19th May 10 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Focus ST, imo.
Ojc

19th May 10 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Far the better car? Even from an owners perspective I don't think the Astra standard for standard is better than the Focus ST, they are both decent cars.

Astra has a slight advantage pace wise as it's lighter and has slightly more ponies.
Graham88

19th May 10 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:

Come and pick you up one night and i'll take you round it

Stick with it, just dont lift off mid bend like I did the other day and have the rear end come out a little. Just like the poo out of my bum at the time

Oh you are referring to the car? I haven't tried it in mine tbh, I thought you were talking about the bike

Just fitted Paradas on mine so should be better than Ultracrappysessentas
Ben G

19th May 10 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those ultrac sessantas are much better then the conti sport contact 3's i had on before which cost a lot more
Graham88

19th May 10 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought they weren't that bad (but they were on the car when I bought it and I couldn't compare too much as it is my first turbo car), until I put Paradas on. And they are only marginally cheaper than Paradas!

[Edited on 19-05-2010 by Graham88]
Daimo B

19th May 10 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Oh you are referring to the car? I haven't tried it in mine tbh, I thought you were talking about the bike

Just fitted Paradas on mine so should be better than Ultracrappysessentas

Yeah in the Astra. I've still got to fettle with my bike front end as its quite unstable at high speed cornering. Got to tighten the front end up.

RE Tyres, had Conti 2s, loved them.
Got Conti 3's as newer replacement to above. Bloody awful tyres, sh1te wet grip, sh1te warm grip. Awful
Now - Verstinner or something German like that. Recommended tyres. I think they are ok, quite good wet and dry grip, but still not as good as the standard Conti2's. Will prob go for the Versti's again if it needs a new set before selling.

3 sets of front tyres in 56,000 miles, few track days too. Not a single mechanical issue, although it has picked up a little door rattle in the drivers door. Still, not bad going
Graham88

19th May 10 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Paradas are scary in the wet Means I will slow down though so it's all good.

I came out of Bluewater the other night coming up the hill and ESP was flashing in 4th gear

Superb in the dry though, and get so sticky! I can't see them lasting that long, but it's fine.
l15ter

19th May 10 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have to agree that the Astra vxr looks better than the Focus ST, but the Focus ST is stil cheaper to buy. Although I'm starting favour for the Astra vxr, firstly cause of the MPG, secondly insurance (only turning 21) and last of all I currently have an Astra sri xp and for a diesel 5door i actually like it.
Ben G

19th May 10 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only thing about the astra is the xenons being an option.
l15ter

19th May 10 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Never been a fan on xenons for some reason
Graham88

19th May 10 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Was a big issue for me when looking for one. I think all newer cars should have xenons but finding a VXR with them standard is few and far between.
Ben G

19th May 10 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh ok. I really miss not having them on the puma
Eck
Premium Member

19th May 10 at 16:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing is... how often does an st have the quoted power? Didn't yours make 250 Ben?
neil h

19th May 10 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has to be the ST for me, love the looks and the sound of the VXR (especially the 'ring edition) but i've had various bad experiences with the local Vx dealer so i'd rather not have to deal with them again.
N16K

19th May 10 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VXR imo.
craig8
Premium Member

19th May 10 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

made that choice when i bought my vxr after the sales man was bigging up the st so much that we is hen i had a look at it i was pretty disapointed, just doesnt do it for me with the looks in the more 'normal' colours and there is no chance i would drive a bright orange st, went to see the vxr and i was sold, had everything i was looking for really, didnt even go back to drive the st, just bought the vxr

*cheeky ad*
will be up for sale soon, probably looking for £10,500

E36 328
Ojc

19th May 10 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Silver VXR, my favourite.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra vxr or Focus ST? 23 database queries in 0.0160909 seconds