corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » saving up.... dream goal

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author saving up.... dream goal
John_C

User status: Offline
22nd Jul 10 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These ferrari's look cheap! Service is what 800 a yr. Then replace bits that break!

I have 34k sitting in my account...looks tempting.

What would ppl on here go for 348 or 355 and why?
Colin

22nd Jul 10 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B

Who you whoaring out? Jade or your ass

My ass, 50p a go.

The house kind of fell into its own, I had a decent equity release from my 1st flat I bought 6yrs ago even though it was a shit hole it was probably one of my smarter moves.
CORSA NUT

22nd Jul 10 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12k a year and a Ferrari of any kind...

Rrrrrrrriiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhttttttttt
CORSA NUT

22nd Jul 10 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and when you get a house unless your both earning 20K+ you can kiss goodbye to anything special in terms of cars or holidays
taylorboosh

22nd Jul 10 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ffs have any of you read the thread? The ferrari is a drwam goal.... For the future, something to work towards.

I am only going to be on 12k for 1 year. After that it goes up year by year.

It's all about the end goal of saving instead of spending cash on cars.

I would love a ferrari so its an incentive to save towards if some thing crops up on the mean time then so be it.

The point is to save.....
Colin

22nd Jul 10 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12k a year 1st yr apprentice wages, he wont be on that forever. Its nice to have dreams
alan t

22nd Jul 10 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if thats your dream then go for it. no harm in giving it a go, even if it doesnt happen at least you've tried.

Graham88

22nd Jul 10 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's good to have something to work towards, but stepping back you must realise it's quite alot to ask. Expectations change, plenty of cars I wanted when I was younger at my age now, but you soon realise there is something better or more sensible to spend your money on. Don't let a Ferrari run your life because you can't go out with your friends because your frantically trying to save £400 a month.
Colin

22nd Jul 10 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does BT not give you a van at some point?

Just smoke about in the van while you save, if you've no car to run then saving will be easy!!
mwg

22nd Jul 10 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read 5-10 years and also that your misses is wanting to save for a house. Unless you end up on a mega wage I cant see how all thats going to happen. You'll need every spare bit of cash going for a house deposit and then when you get the house you'll be wanting to buy things for it and/or do improvements. Your not going to have any spare cash to save for a Ferrari or whatever dream car your thinking of.

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by mwg]
CORSA NUT

22nd Jul 10 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
Ffs have any of you read the thread? The ferrari is a drwam goal.... For the future, something to work towards.

I am only going to be on 12k for 1 year. After that it goes up year by year.

It's all about the end goal of saving instead of spending cash on cars.

I would love a ferrari so its an incentive to save towards if some thing crops up on the mean time then so be it.

The point is to save.....

You sound young and a bit naive to be honest it's okay to have dreams mate but you'll find that the more life goes on the more it costs you etc etc

Plus the old chestnut is the more you earn the more you spend and your lifestyle changes.You've already said your terrible savers which dosn't bode well
alan t

22nd Jul 10 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imo being able to save is a good thing but you still need a life at the end of the day, ive got a few mates who never go out and save every single penny but whats the point?

me and most of my mates are only 21, i'd rather be out enjoying myself and spending my wages like its going out of fashion while i can as i still stay with my mum and dad and not really got any responsibilities.

as i said being able to save is a good thing but i'd rather enjoy it while ive got it, as you never know what could be round the corner
CORSA NUT

22nd Jul 10 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah do it while you can is the motto...
Graham88

22nd Jul 10 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Plus the old chestnut is the more you earn the more you spend and your lifestyle changes.You've already said your terrible savers which dosn't bode well

quote:
Originally posted by alan t
me and most of my mates are only 21, i'd rather be out enjoying myself and spending my wages like its going out of fashion while i can as i still stay with my mum and dad and not really got any responsibilities.

Both excellent points and I can vouch for both.

I went from £177 a month to £1700, my lifestyle changed the day I got paid. I still save because I can afford to do what I want aswell as save but if I was on 1k a month I doubt I'd save because I'd be spending what I earn. You have to be realistic, enjoy life as it is.
CORSA NUT

22nd Jul 10 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graham your right mate it comes from experience

I remember when i was on about £1100 a month and spent normal amounts on my GF and family at Xmas....then when i was getting £2000 a month we bought my dad an Armani watch and spent £200 on my mum etc etc etc

BUT i was spoilt as a child and have never been able to save.Some people are just different! Remember though your only young once and you could get killed any day at any time in theory

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by CORSA NUT]
alan t

22nd Jul 10 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Remember though your only young once and you could get killed any day at any time in theory

thats my view of life, sounds a bit morbid but i want to be able to look back and say, yeah i lived my life to the full and enjoyed myself, instead of i never really done anything, saved like fuck but now i cant enjoy it as im not here
CORSA NUT

22nd Jul 10 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's crazy how quick life goes too! I'm 30 in January and it dosn't seem like5 minutes ago i was kickin it with my mates going to raves etc and getting £80 a week and doing all the drink and drugs i could get my hands on

Now i'm happily married with our own lovely house and having a baby in February Do i regret anything? Maybe getting with my first GF as it was 5 years of wasted life IMO that i should have been living!
Kurt

22nd Jul 10 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From a parts point of view, Today i tried to order some brake pipes for a 355 GTS, only to be told that the Steel ones are out of production and no longer available..

Cars over 10 years old dont have to have parts still in production

by the time you've saved up there will be barely anything available

Also have you factored in road tax, insurance, fuel costs.. How long are we talking about saving? i can only see these going up

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by Kurt]
CORSA NUT

22nd Jul 10 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah he's forgetting that in 10 years time they will be about 100K
taylorboosh

22nd Jul 10 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In ten years time another prestige car will be in range. The rarri is a dream.... To help save.

Also colon I will get a van and will sell car...
Colin

22nd Jul 10 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember a guy on PH's forums that was an average joe, lived in a council house, had a average job & he owned a some rare special edition Lamborghini Diablo GT. Folk didnt believe him so he put up pic's, think he was a fucking bin man or something!!

Why not..........live the dream

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by Colin]
Hammer

22nd Jul 10 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd normally say don't be silly but let's be honest everyone started somewhere.

If you want a Ferrari bad enough you will achieve it, if that means saving 50 quid a month for 50 years then good on you.
Colin

22nd Jul 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The more I think about it its a great idea, if you want a car bad enough save for it and consider buying a classic which wont lose any value your surely onto a winner. Servicing will be high but if you've no other losses/finance to pay it shouldnt be a problem.

Do it, i'll look forward to the pic's when I roll over into my 3rd decade on CS
Colin

22nd Jul 10 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is a good read if you've got a few hours - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=63&t=527667&mid=171972&i=60&nmt=How%20do%20you%20afford%20supercars?&mid=171972

Its about how people fund their supercars & what kind of background they are. Kicks off with a 100k a year suit wondering if he can afford to run a Ferrari & soon people chirp up telling hhow they afford one & more so how they justify having one.

One guy's tuppence worth:-

'fascinating thread.

as someone who's wanted a ferrari since being a very young boy I am shortly going to take the plunge and get an F355. I have a BMW 330 which has lost about 8k in the last 12 months and there's no 355 on the planet that can lose that amount now. I've been shopping around for the best part of 3 years now waiting for my dream-spec car to appear and in that time have spoken to a lot of various people about the ownership experience. The overwhelming response has been "yes, you can be unlucky but in our experience they are very robust cars which should not require tens of thousands of pounds per year to run".

I'm budgeting £10K/year to run the F355 (not including fuel!) and expect to do around 6000 miles per year. If i'm lucky (and don't throw a rod through the block or similar) it will be cheaper to run over 3 years than the BMW.

Both of the finance brokers I spoke to said the same thing - that the vast majority of ferraris are financed.

I'm not even in the 40% tax bracket BTW let alone earning £100K/year but have owned a house for a few years and have a buy to let property as my long-term pension plan / F40 scheme. It's all about priorities - I don't intend to drop down dead having never acheived my lifes ambition.'

Another guy said:

'Myself and my partner (DINKY) are both earning under the 40% tax bracket with no other income. we have 2-3 modest holidays per year and eat out once or twice a month. we don't smoke, don't have sky TV, dont read magazines and don't p!ss money away on anything we don't absolutely want. we've also been very lucky with the 3 houses we've lived in having accumulated equity very quickly. that said, we're not relying on the equity to fund the F355.

£10K deposit, finance over 3 years with a similar balloon at the end - under £500 a month makes it cheaper than the BMW 330. it's *all* about priorities and I can understand entirely why some people think i'm mad. every hour I have ever worked in my life has been building up to owning a ferrari.

the stupid thing is, the honda elise I currently own is quicker up to 100mph than the Ferrari and will be significantly faster round the track. just proves that ferrari ownership is nothing about performance - it's a passion for art the same as any painting or vase.'

Its quite an eye opener, the high rollers claim they cant afford to buy one because they would have no money for investments & what not, the avg joes just say always wanted one....having one!!

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by Colin]
mwg

22nd Jul 10 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like his whole life has revolved around getting this car. I like cars but seriously... there is more to life.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » saving up.... dream goal 22 database queries in 0.1783950 seconds